Carlos Gomez pulls out of World Baseball Classic
By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
Feb. 18, 2013 6:04 p.m.
Phoenix -- MLB.com is reporting that Brewers centerfielder Carlos Gomez has decided not to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, opting instead to concentrate on the upcoming season, his last before free agency.
Earlier in the day, it became known that minor-league pitcher Nick Bucci backed out of his commitment to Team Canada over concerns about shoulder weakness. Bucci has been shut down temporarily in the Brewers' camp.
Even with Bucci and Gomez bowing out, the Brewers have 13 players from the organization set to play in the WBC, most of any franchise.
Of Gomez's decision to pull out, manager Ron Roenicke told MLB.com: "You know, hes got a lot of energy and he wants to help us play. Its a big year for him, what he does this year. That was part of the reason.
I'm not too worried about position players playing in the Classic, but with a guy like him, I don't mind him pulling out. This is probably his big money year if he can produce, so he really needs to be focused and figure out how to get on base at a higher rate. If he can do that, he may be in for a nice pay day.
I gotta say it says a lot on how much his character has changed. 3 years ago, I don't think he'd look at it this way and he'd have the ego that he can play the WBC and then come to the Brewers and be the guy. Think he's at the point where he knows he needs to finish developing and finally be the guy.