Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hakeem

15 71.43%
  • Duncan

6 28.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hakeem, carried a worse team

The Dream had the greatest peak but Duncan had superior staying power as an elite. How this question is asked I would have to say the dream.

I think Hakeem underachieved, to be honest. There were some seasons where he could have taken his game up a notch but got bounced in the playoffs. His teammates weren't anything special but I would have expected more if we're going to start putting him above Timmy D. He's obviously more skilled than Duncan so I'd take him if we are going by a prime period but if we are talking about a career's worth, no question Timmy.

I love both players, but I honestly can't point to a single thing Duncan did better than Hakeem.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    I think Hakeem underachieved, to be honest. There were some seasons where he could have taken his game up a notch but got bounced in the playoffs. His teammates weren't anything special but I would have expected more if we're going to start putting him above Timmy D. He's obviously more skilled than Duncan so I'd take him if we are going by a prime period but if we are talking about a career's worth, no question Timmy.
    You are correct, after Hakeem and Ralph Sampson went to the Finals in 1986 and Sampson broke down, Hakeem and the Rockets lost in the 1st or 2nd round every season from 1987-1993 except for 1 year where Hakeem was injured and they missed the playoffs entirely.

But people also forget that the Spurs had a long period where they underachieved after their 4th title in 07. Lost in the 1st or 2nd round from 2009 to 2011 despite being the higher seed every year and blew a 2-0 lead vs. the Thunder in 2012 in the WCF.

But you are correct, if we're going career achievements, Duncan wins in a landslide. If we're going prime, I'd probably very slightly take Hakeem but they were both near equals IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
    The Dream had the greatest peak but Duncan had superior staying power as an elite. How this question is asked I would have to say the dream.
    I generally have this opinion. In fact my all time starting 5 has both players, and the subs on the 12 man team are similar in some ways - KG, McHale.

I always say give Hakeem Coach Jackson and Pippen, and he's got the 6 titles, not Jordan. So what would Duncan do there? Probably similar.

I know that it wasn't Wilt, Jabbar, or anyone else that broke me from Russell as the #1 - until Hakeem. I guess Duncan was somehow more buttoned down than Hakeem, because I can't see that I would have reacted to Duncan in the same way if they traded birthdays.
    I am not a con artist! I am a businessman! I have a big brain and I'm good at making deals! People are just jealous of my BIG BRAIN! BAD!

Guess who? The future X-Presdent...

As great as Timmy was, Hakeem was just better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12