Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

SA's Moves: Another Perspective

Another way to look at the last two years of SA's moves if he signs Bourn is:

Dickey, Beltran, Reyes, Thole and the 11th pick and $101M in payroll over the next two years in exchange for Wheeler, D'Arnaud, Bourn, Buck, Syndergaard, Becerra and a third round pick and giving $24M of it to Bourn, $12M to Francisco and $4M+ to Lyon and $6M to Buck for a net savings of $55M. Here it is in a side-by-side comparison:

Dickey-----Wheeler [aging ace for future ace]
    Reyes------Bourn [speedy Gold Glove quality leadoff hitters both]
    Beltran-----D'Arnaud [aging star for future star]
    Thole-------Buck and Becerra [short term power upgrade and long term OF prospect]
    KRod-------Lyon and Francisco [hopefully Lyon can do what the other two have only done in flashes]
    11th pick---Syndergaard and 3rd round pick for Reyes [sounds about even]
    $101M-----$46M in payroll [if the $55M is reinvested wisely that's two stud outfielders signed next year for 2014-15 and the current corner guys become depth/trade bait].

I'd say with Bourn we will be better off now than we were two years ago [though Reyes should have been dealt or at least offered arbitration to get a top draft pick] and stand to be much better off in four years as the kids mature together. While the Reyes move was botched the overall record will prove out over the next few years as the right way to rebuild/build a winner for the long term.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    11th pick + money to spend > Bourn.

vCash
    I hate when People criticize Sandy. He is the GM of a broke franchise. All and all very good job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    This.

Bourn is average. I'd rather not give up what should be a top 10 pick for an average aging leadoff speedster that struck out over 150 times last year.

If he was the missing piece to a championship, i'd say go for it. But not right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
    This.

Bourn is average. I'd rather not give up what should be a top 10 pick for an average aging leadoff speedster that struck out over 150 times last year.

If he was the missing piece to a championship, i'd say go for it. But not right now.
    Bourn isn't average. His bat isn't anything special, but he gets on base enough and uses his speed incredibly well on defense and the basepaths. If he doesn't cost the pick, I will gladly take Bourn.

He doesn't strike out at a concerning rate either. 22% of his PA end in a K, but 10% of his PA end in a BB as well.

vCash
    You should write for Metsblog the way you are able to take the same topic and turn it into multiple threads.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    I hate when People criticize Sandy. He is the GM of a broke franchise. All and all very good job.
    Yep. Tough job indeed trying to make chicken liver out of chicken *****.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Maybe in 2015 but I for one do not wnat this team to stink for two years waiting to sign some future FAs and see if our 11th pick looks decent in Savannah. If you could draft a Bourn with the 11th pick you would be thrilled so why not invest the money and the draft slot for a chance at contention now? The reason folks were concerned giving Reyes a long term deal was his legs...I don't recall Bourn being injury prone so that's another plus. Curious if we look back in three or four years and see if Niese even up for Wil Myers would have been a good deal for us....I couldn't see giving up a solid young lefty with noone on the farm to replace him...said the same thing when they gave away Kazmir...you keep good young pitching and stockpile it when you can like SA is doing.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    This can be discussed in other threads.