Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amaziníly, Havens is still hanging íround

Amaziníly, Havens is still hanging íround

PORT ST. LUCIE ó Remember Reese Havens? Itís easy to forget he is still a Met.

Havens, 26, was the clubís second first-round draft pick in 2008, a draft that was to solidify the Metsí infield for years to come. Third baseman David Wright blasted 33 home runs that year and shortstop Jose Reyes compiled 204 hits.

The Mets were set on that side of the infield. The other side would be taken care of with a couple of college players: First baseman Ike Davis was taken with the 18th pick out of Arizona State and, four picks later, general manager Omar Minayaís Mets snagged Havens, a big-hitting middle infielder from South Carolina.

Reyes is gone. Wright is here for the duration. Davis, despite some setbacks, is fulfilling his power promise. As for Havens?

Heís still trying to find the key to staying healthy. Havens believes he may have finally found the answer this offseason. The Mets have been down this shattered glass road before and can only hope for the best while not counting on anything. Havens has played more than 61 games in a minor league season only twice. He has never hit the 100-game mark.

The road has been tortuous. As the second baseman hit line drives during batting practice Friday, manager Terry Collins told The Post: ďI know how good a player Reese Havens can be. This guy has everything it takes to be a solid major league infielder. He can hit. He can hit with power. He can hit lefties. You just have to keep him on the field.

ďLast year, he came in early, hurt his back the first day and didnít play all spring.íí

That is the story of Havensí career. Here is some of what he has been through:

ďI had a rib shaved off in 2010,íí Havens said of a painful injury, which was diagnosed as rib-tip syndrome.

His back was the issue last year.

ďI had cartilage and disc problems in my low back,íí he said. ďWhen you have back stuff, itís just about staying on top of it. Sometimes it will get you and two days later you will be all right.íí

Bad backs and baseball are a bad combination.

ďLast year,íí Havens said, ďI bent down to pick up a shirt off the ground and threw my back out, crazy stuff like that. Right now itís feeling good and Iím just trying to come to the park and focus on the day.íí

This offseason, he changed gears and worked with former high-school teammate Joey Welling, a personal trainer in South Carolina.

ďI worked really hard so I could get that back healthy,íí Havens told me. ďWe had a really good program going.íí

Havens believes he is on top of the situation because of the new routine. At Bishop England High School in Charleston, S.C., Havens played shortstop, Welling played second. They are paired up again.

ďI did a lot of flexibility training,íí Havens said. ďI did Pilates. I did functional baseball movements, I did speed work and I did a lot of core stuff. It was by far my best offseason of working out yet. I feel confident coming in.

ďI can control what I can control and thatís trying to staying on top of the [back issues] and playing baseball, everything else is out of my hands. I learned the hard way.

ďWhen youíre healthy you take for granted how your body actually works and stuff. But hey, Iím not the only one who has been through it. Iím learning how to take care of my body. Itís just like baseball, you never quit learning, but since I stepped on the field in Brooklyn [in 2008] itís been an ongoing battle with injuries.

ďIím still as confident as ever that I can still play. But I have to stay out there. Iím just grateful the Mets still have faith in me. They could have easily given up on me.íí

Their faith will be rewarded only if Reese Havens stays on the field.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...m6r4NXuF5kISyJ

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

This is his last chance, because Adam Rubin thinks he's on thin ice. He needs a quick and productive start, anything short of that he'll be taken off the 40.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Amazin’ly, Havens is still hanging ’round

I worry that he will be put on waivers so an old fart reliever gets added to the team and them you see him go to a bad team like the Rockies and take off there.

As he should be. We can't wait around forever for this guy.

I agree this year is his last chance. He may have 20+ homer potential but at his age and lack of experience if he doesn't put it together this year its over for him. It would be great for the Mets if he finally stays healthy and lives up to his potential this year but I'm not counting on it.

I mean, guys like Utley and Howard didn't get it together really until about this age. Who knows, maybe this is finally the year Havens stays healthy and rakes. I doubt it, but maybe
    ďIt's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.Ē

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    I mean, guys like Utley and Howard didn't get it together really until about this age. Who knows, maybe this is finally the year Havens stays healthy and rakes. I doubt it, but maybe
    Not sure what their number were like I'll have to take a look. Not sure if they didn't get it together till an advanced age or if it was just Polanco and Thome blocking them.

Also if Havens has a good year he is still pretty much starting out his minor league career. He is just so behind the curve. It would be amazing if he proves us wrong but for a 26 year old pretty much just starting his career even if he stays healthy and is productive he's at least 2 years away. So your looking at a 28/29 year old rookie if everthing breaks right for him.

Havens healthy and productive would be a surprise we could use.

Its not like he's blocking the path of Mike Trout! I would be pleasantly surprised if he made the team. Lord knows he truly is a good infielder.
    " You seek Yoda!

He has options remaining if he hits well this spring.

Honestly i would give him a chance in AAA Vegas, it should certainly help his confidence at the plate.

11. 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
    Reason
    Off topic

12. 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
    Reason
    Off topic

13. 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM
    Reason
    Off topic

14. 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
    Reason
    Off topic

15. 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
    Reason
    Off topic

The topic is Havens, please keep the discussion about him.

17. 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM
    Reason
    off topic

Sorry about that. Now who is this Havens guy I keep hearing about? Remember him from MLB2K9. I think he became my 2B by 2015. LOL.

It's a big year for Murphy too. It's a huge year for Murphy, Flores, and Havens. If Murphy stumbles and either Havens/Flores are mashing, I can see one of them getting the call at some point if they don't give Jordany a chance first.

I just see him as one of "those" guys. Simply cannot stay on the field.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

I just really hope he can stay healthy. If he can do that, I think he'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast