Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    105
    vCash
    1500

    Why did the NBA go soft?

    It's amazing how the game has changed in the past twenty years. The old Knick, Piston teams used to beat up on Jordan like crazy and he still got his.

    Nowadays, a touch on LeBron, a touch on Kobe, a touch on many players is a foul. It's honestly a shame the game has went down this road and Stern has cracked down. I don't know the reasoning behind it.

    It was a lot more compelling when you could be completely physical with another team. Too many times I see guys go down on the block and they get a little bump, that's a foul. A guy goes strong to the hole and gets a little wrist tap and that's a foul.

    Coming off screens, little bumps, HAND CHECKS, wow, don't even get me started there. A hand check shouldn't be a foul.

    There was an entire mental aspect that came along with the physical play and getting guys off their games that just isn't allowed anymore and the sport suffers because of it. I'd love to see a game where guys just get knocked on their *** and it's not a foul - that's how it was 20 years ago.

    For that reason alone, I don't think that LeBron or Kobe could hold MJ's jockstrap. These guys never grew up in that era and I don't think a lot of the prima donnas in the NBA today would be able to take it. Merely go back and look at Jordan's resume, what he was able to accomplish under those circumstances and it was just so much more impressive than what LeBron is doing today under a baby league.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    C Florida
    Posts
    6,336
    vCash
    1500
    Protect the stars. This is a business, and the league must take extraordinary steps to ensure protecting them; money talks in the end. Theres too high of a risk of them getting injured which would most likely happen.
    Last edited by JNoel; 02-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    3,067
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
    It's amazing how the game has changed in the past twenty years. The old Knick, Piston teams used to beat up on Jordan like crazy and he still got his.

    Nowadays, a touch on LeBron, a touch on Kobe, a touch on many players is a foul. It's honestly a shame the game has went down this road and Stern has cracked down. I don't know the reasoning behind it.

    It was a lot more compelling when you could be completely physical with another team. Too many times I see guys go down on the block and they get a little bump, that's a foul. A guy goes strong to the hole and gets a little wrist tap and that's a foul.

    Coming off screens, little bumps, HAND CHECKS, wow, don't even get me started there. A hand check shouldn't be a foul.

    There was an entire mental aspect that came along with the physical play and getting guys off their games that just isn't allowed anymore and the sport suffers because of it. I'd love to see a game where guys just get knocked on their *** and it's not a foul - that's how it was 20 years ago.

    For that reason alone, I don't think that LeBron or Kobe could hold MJ's jockstrap. These guys never grew up in that era and I don't think a lot of the prima donnas in the NBA today would be able to take it. Merely go back and look at Jordan's resume, what he was able to accomplish under those circumstances and it was just so much more impressive than what LeBron is doing today under a baby league.
    Lebron would have handled that Era fine hes a freight train in fact i think more physicality would favor James


    2012 allstar

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,375
    vCash
    500
    If FTA is your argument, well, there's no much of one.

    MJ: 8.2 a game
    West: 9.4 a game
    Oscar: 8.8 a game

    LeBron: 8.7 a game
    Kobe: 7.6 a game


    The rule changes have changed the game, but it's not as huge of a change as most hype it up to be. And sure, these players would have to make slight adjustments if they went back and played in the 80s and 90s, but those guys in those eras would have to make just as many adjustments to today's game. Tougher defense then than now? Sure. Trying going against the better athletes...

    Kobe was skilled enough and is durable enough to thrive just as well in any era. LeBron is a ROCK that again would have been fine in any era, perhaps even better. He's supremely athletic, unlike anything we saw in those eras. And let's not act like he isn't a tremendously skilled player.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raised in Mt. Airy
    Posts
    30,021
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
    It's amazing how the game has changed in the past twenty years. The old Knick, Piston teams used to beat up on Jordan like crazy and he still got his.

    Nowadays, a touch on LeBron, a touch on Kobe, a touch on many players is a foul. It's honestly a shame the game has went down this road and Stern has cracked down. I don't know the reasoning behind it.

    It was a lot more compelling when you could be completely physical with another team. Too many times I see guys go down on the block and they get a little bump, that's a foul. A guy goes strong to the hole and gets a little wrist tap and that's a foul.

    Coming off screens, little bumps, HAND CHECKS, wow, don't even get me started there. A hand check shouldn't be a foul.

    There was an entire mental aspect that came along with the physical play and getting guys off their games that just isn't allowed anymore and the sport suffers because of it. I'd love to see a game where guys just get knocked on their *** and it's not a foul - that's how it was 20 years ago.

    For that reason alone, I don't think that LeBron or Kobe could hold MJ's jockstrap. These guys never grew up in that era and I don't think a lot of the prima donnas in the NBA today would be able to take it. Merely go back and look at Jordan's resume, what he was able to accomplish under those circumstances and it was just so much more impressive than what LeBron is doing today under a baby league.
    Short Answer: The NBA realized fans prefer less contact and more speed in games. A grind em out, hard fought 72-70 game isn't as entertaining to the causal fan as a fast paced 105-103 game.

    Also I disagree with the LeBron and Kobe v Jordan argument because imagine if Lebron came up in the era of physical play. Him being a one in a generation physical talent would probably allow him to the be the greatest man on man defender ever, and an absolute load to try and guard on the other side of the ball.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    tdot
    Posts
    18,056
    vCash
    1500
    MJ changed the game to how it is today.. Didn't stern change the rules for him or something ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,017
    vCash
    26834
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixerlover View Post
    Short Answer: The NBA realized fans prefer less contact and more speed in games. A grind em out, hard fought 72-70 game isn't as entertaining to the causal fan as a fast paced 105-103 game.

    Also I disagree with the LeBron and Kobe v Jordan argument because imagine if Lebron came up in the era of physical play. Him being a one in a generation physical talent would probably allow him to the be the greatest man on man defender ever, and an absolute load to try and guard on the other side of the ball.
    never thought of this before but yeah lebron would have been scary back then.
    go home raptors, you're drunk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,594
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
    It's amazing how the game has changed in the past twenty years. The old Knick, Piston teams used to beat up on Jordan like crazy and he still got his.

    Nowadays, a touch on LeBron, a touch on Kobe, a touch on many players is a foul. It's honestly a shame the game has went down this road and Stern has cracked down. I don't know the reasoning behind it.

    It was a lot more compelling when you could be completely physical with another team. Too many times I see guys go down on the block and they get a little bump, that's a foul. A guy goes strong to the hole and gets a little wrist tap and that's a foul.

    Coming off screens, little bumps, HAND CHECKS, wow, don't even get me started there. A hand check shouldn't be a foul.

    There was an entire mental aspect that came along with the physical play and getting guys off their games that just isn't allowed anymore and the sport suffers because of it. I'd love to see a game where guys just get knocked on their *** and it's not a foul - that's how it was 20 years ago.

    For that reason alone, I don't think that LeBron or Kobe could hold MJ's jockstrap. These guys never grew up in that era and I don't think a lot of the prima donnas in the NBA today would be able to take it. Merely go back and look at Jordan's resume, what he was able to accomplish under those circumstances and it was just so much more impressive than what LeBron is doing today under a baby league.
    Stern is doing what is best to expand the Nba as a business. He turned this into an offensive league. He is trying to make the game appealing to the casual fan. I expect Player to average 40 ppg by year 2033. Defense is a thing of the past.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    721
    vCash
    1500
    i'd take that era back in a heartbeat , I love defense , thats probably I love this Bulls team soo much , I'd love seeing Artest going all out on Lebron , or Battier going at Wade ( current game playing )
    What about Iggy defending KD or Melo ? Shampert or Bradley doing hand checks on Westbrook , Dwight making hard fouls on everyone who tries to get in the lane . All these bad teams wouldnt be that bad if they could play that type of defense

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    8,009
    vCash
    1500
    It seems clear that over the years, athletic wing players are adopted by the fans. Dr. J, Jordan, Kobe, KcGrady, Carter, now LBJ and Wade and Durant. Fans just seem to like these guys more, and Stern has changed the rules so that these players have an easier time to succeed, and has made it harder for guys in the paint to be as effective. Rules like taking away hand-checking help to open up the floor, while making the 3-seconds with your back to the basket rule limits post play, and making more restrictive rules for charging and such make it harder for bigs to get position in the paint to defend, and there are more fouls called on big guys than there used to be. Like Kareem and Moses were elite defenders and shot blockers back in the day and never got into foul trouble, but these days it's hard for a guy to average 3 blocks per game without averaging 6 fouls to go with it.


    Yeah... the rules have changed to allow altheltic wing players to succeed. Stern thinks it's good for the league. I miss the classic post play.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    perth australia
    Posts
    9,616
    vCash
    1500
    umm no jordan use to get babied later on in his career

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    perth australia
    Posts
    9,616
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSIONIST^248 View Post
    Stern is doing what is best to expand the Nba as a business. He turned this into an offensive league. He is trying to make the game appealing to the casual fan. I expect Player to average 40 ppg by year 2033. Defense is a thing of the past.
    so basically go back to the 60's.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,375
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSIONIST^248 View Post
    Stern is doing what is best to expand the Nba as a business. He turned this into an offensive league. He is trying to make the game appealing to the casual fan. I expect Player to average 40 ppg by year 2033. Defense is a thing of the past.

    I think you'd be pretty surprised to see how league offensive efficiencies have not increased really at all over the past 20-30 years...if anything they've gone down.

    League pace has remained steady for a few decades now, and is way lower than it was in the 70s.


    I don't think you're actually right about what you're saying...even though there have been a few rules changes to allow some more offensive freedom. I just think those changes aren't as drastic or impacting as you feel.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Los angeles
    Posts
    868
    vCash
    500
    i miss good ol' post up, crazy aggressive defensive 80's and 90's nba. but the masses like scoring and pretty plays.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,594
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    I think you'd be pretty surprised to see how league offensive efficiencies have not increased really at all over the past 20-30 years...if anything they've gone down.

    League pace has remained steady for a few decades now, and is way lower than it was in the 70s.


    I don't think you're actually right about what you're saying...even though there have been a few rules changes to allow some more offensive freedom. I just think those changes aren't as drastic or impacting as you feel.
    The rules have changed so much, and they will continue to change in favor of offensive players. What they called hard fouls back then are flagrant fouls today. I'd say in 20 or 30 years Touching offenisive players with hards/arms will not be allowed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •