Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jamison: MJ can still average double digits

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan has been retired from the NBA for a decade, but he warned at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2009 not to count him out from making one last comeback.

"One day you might look up and see me playing the game at 50," Jordan said near the close of his speech, eliciting laughter from the crowd in Springfield, Mass. "Oh, don't laugh. Never say never. Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion."

Jordan turns 50 in about a week on Feb. 17. What would happen if he traded in his ownership stake in the Charlotte Bobcats for one more chance to lace up his Air Jordans in the league? Could he do it?

I wouldn't doubt that in the right situation with a LeBron (James) on his team or with a Kobe (Bryant) on this team, he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes.

-- Antawn Jamison on Michael Jordan, who turns 50 on Feb. 17
    "I wouldn't doubt that in the right situation with a LeBron (James) on his team or with a Kobe (Bryant) on this team, he could get you about 10 or 11 points, come in and play 15-20 minutes," said Antawn Jamison before the Lakers played the Bobcats on Friday. "I wouldn't doubt that at all, especially if he was in shape and injuries were prevented and things of that nature."

That's saying a lot, considering Jamison has Bryant on his team, and only averages 8.1 points per game in 20.5 minutes per game and he's "only" 36 years old.

Jordan averaged 20.0 points in 37.0 minutes per game in his 15th and final season in the league before retiring for good at age 40.

"He wasn't joking," said Jamison of Jordan's declaration at the HOF ceremony. "You hear stories still to this day, especially last year, him going to the practice facility and playing 1-on-1 with the guys and still they can't stop him."

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Matthew "Nat" Hickey was the oldest player in NBA history when he played one game for the Providence Steam Rollers at 45 years, 363 days old on Jan. 28, 1948.

Jamison, who used to play during the summer months in Chapel Hill, N.C., against his fellow University of North Carolina alum in Jordan, said the former six-time NBA Finals MVP has the confidence to pull it off.

"He still believes he can do it," Jamison said.

Even though Jordan is older than a lot of the parents of players in the NBA and hasn't suited up since the 2002-03 season for the Washington Wizards, Jamison said he still has a major impact on the league as he approaches his 50th birthday.

"The key is, that's the guy we wanted to be like," Jamison said. "This guy inspired us to try to do it all, the impossible and the man over there (gestures to Bryant's locker), he's trying to catch him so that just lets you know his impact is still felt and he's just done so much for this league as well."
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...contributor-50

Discuss gentlemen.

vCash
    Lol,I doubt he could avg double digits right now,Crazy talk.

vCash
    It's an interesting thought. I just thought of the Rocky Balboa movie when I read this. Would be pretty cool for him to make an allstar appearance or something.

vCash
    Be pretty cool to see him sign a 10 day contract or somthin

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Easy for him to say...

vCash
    He would have to sell his team first.

vCash
    He's averaging double digits with the scrubs at Charlotte Bobcats, yeah. Must also have to do with Jordan being the one who pays them.

vCash
    Sure...maybe on 15 shots a game for the Bobcats...
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jon32 View Post
    Be pretty cool to see him sign a 10 day contract or somthin
    Why would he need to come back. He doesn't need to prove anything, 95% of the world think or knows he's best basketball player ever.

vCash
    Enough MJ ****. Why does someones opinion on a retired player become a thread?

vCash
    If Jamison guarded then yea, Jamison is correct.

That's what we celebrate with, not with bubble machines...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Like betting on sports? Sign up now!

https://www.bovada.lv/welcome/P1BF89...tcmpid=rafcopy

vCash
    I don't think MJ would be going for 20 or anything but I think todays MJ could still put up 10-12 a game for a team. The guy i'd have money on would be Reggie Miller, he could go for 15 or more just by running v-cuts and shooting...

vCash
    An MJ return for a game would probably have Super Bowl like ratings.

vCash
    He might be able to but I can't imagine him being able to keep up defensively

vCash
    5 baskets? 1.25 buckets a quarter... Easy peasy.
    #FreeCrooner!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast