Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Which talent pool was greater, presently or Jordan's era?

By this, I don't mean the top 10 or 20 best, I mean how many of the entire league can actually play? The talent pool in today's league is far bigger than that of Jordan's era.

It's evident by the fact that in the Olympics, you actually played against NBA players, not random scrubs who never played the competitiveness that NBA players play through.

vCash
    The 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    hmm. Depends on which years youre talking about when you say Jordan era.
    when the bulls went 72-10, it was watered DOWN.

in the midst of the 1st 3 peat, it was damn good competition, and very very tough defenses.
    ----------------

as for the modern era, the league's talent was bleh from 2000-2007 picked up since, and now we just might be entering into another golden era of basketball with durant-lebron and possibly young talents all over..

so hopefully the talent will be as good as it was in the mid to late 90s.

LETS GO HEAT

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    You have centers coming off the bench back then who could potentially make an All-Star game these days. I would easily go with the 90's era over today. So many great centers and power forwards. I think the PG position is deeper now than it was, and that wing players are deeper than they were then, but still, overall talent goes to the 90's in my book.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Can you guys name the 10 best players from 91-96.

vCash
    presently.

and the early 2000's was the best defensive era in league history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    You have centers coming off the bench back then who could potentially make an All-Star game these days. I would easily go with the 90's era over today. So many great centers and power forwards. I think the PG position is deeper now than it was, and that wing players are deeper than they were then, but still, overall talent goes to the 90's in my book.
    The league made centers an irrelevant position to play. Players can't play in the paint 24/7 and thus that was why centers were actually dominant back then. The league really changed the way a center can play. I don't care what anyone says, the only reason centers dominated back then was because they were the most important position. They had the opportunity to stay in the paint and thus easier rebounding and scoring.

vCash
    It's different. There were so many great, low-post, big guys in Jordan's era. Now the big guys shoot 3's and play more pick and roll. It is far more filled with super-athletic point guards. Overall, I like the 90's talent, but today's guys are nothing to sneeze at.

vCash
    I'd imagine it's better now. I mean, at the very least there are more players playing basketball now than there was then, so the odds are there's more talent overall.

The disparity in talent in terms of big men makes it interesting though. I think it's harder to be a successful big man in today's faster NBA than it was back then, so that plays into it.

If I had to guess I'd definitely say there's more talent now. I'd imagine teams as a whole have more talent from 1-13 than ever before. But you can't really quantify that easily, so it is just a guess.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    You can actually quantify that easily, just look at the Olympics.

(Back in 1992, there were fewer than 20 international players in the NBA, and the cream of the crop were players like Detlef Schrempf and Tony Kukoc. Those players were good, but they are nowhere near the level of international talent that exists in the NBA today.

Today there are over 60 international players in the NBA, and a majority of them are legitimate superstars.

Players like Tony Parker, Nene Hilario, Luol Deng, Manu Ginobili, Dirk Nowitzki, Luis Scola, Jose Calderon, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut, Al Horford, Serge Ibaka and Pau Gasol headline the international talent today—and those players are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to star-level international talent.)

It's not a coincidence. It's the fact that competition is much heavier today than before. Seriously, Dirk Nowitzki is an international player... Who in the NBA back then was a legitimate player that people actually noticed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    i agree with everything here except about PGs. i think the 90s was stacked with really good PGs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    You can actually quantify that easily, just look at the Olympics.

(Back in 1992, there were fewer than 20 international players in the NBA, and the cream of the crop were players like Detlef Schrempf and Tony Kukoc. Those players were good, but they are nowhere near the level of international talent that exists in the NBA today.

Today there are over 60 international players in the NBA, and a majority of them are legitimate superstars.

Players like Tony Parker, Nene Hilario, Luol Deng, Manu Ginobili, Dirk Nowitzki, Luis Scola, Jose Calderon, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut, Al Horford, Serge Ibaka and Pau Gasol headline the international talent today—and those players are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to star-level international talent.)

It's not a coincidence. It's the fact that competition is much heavier today than before. Seriously, Dirk Nowitzki is an international player... Who in the NBA back then was a legitimate player that people actually noticed?
    i don't think it prooves anything that more guys play in the olympics now. that doesn't have anything to do with the NBA & how tough it was

vCash
    You guys are living in the past man (hippy voice)

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    The league made centers an irrelevant position to play. Players can't play in the paint 24/7 and thus that was why centers were actually dominant back then. The league really changed the way a center can play. I don't care what anyone says, the only reason centers dominated back then was because they were the most important position. They had the opportunity to stay in the paint and thus easier rebounding and scoring.
    there was a 3 seconds rule then too ya know, they couldn't just set up camp in the paint to score

vCash
    Omg guyz nuthing compar3z 2 jord3nz era he is godlik3 lik3 it jus dnt comapr3
    *Coach BShaw supporter*
    *George Karl currently still out of the league*
    *Nuggets will be in the playoffs 2015*

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast