Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Tennessee Titans History of Free Agency since 2000

Just some perspective as to how the franchise has traditionally approached free agency. This obviously doesn't reflect players that were practice squad or didn't see significant action. If you see anybody notable left off please let me know.

LB Randall Godfrey (Dallas)
    T Fred Miller (St. Louis)

K Joe Nedney (Carolina)
    CB DeRon Jenkins (San Diego)

S Lance Schulters (San Francisco)
    FB Greg Comella (N.Y. Giants)
    C Jeff Smith (Jacksonville)
    RB Robert Holcombe (St. Louis)

DE Kyle Vanden Bosch (Arizona)

WR David Givens (New England) 5-year $24 million
    S Chris Hope (Pittsburgh) 6-year $30 million
    C Kevin Mawae (N.Y. Jets)
    LB David Thornton (Indianapolis) 5-year $22.5 million

LB Ryan Fowler (RFA-Dallas)
    WR Justin Gage (Chicago)
    CB Nick Harper (Indianapolis) 3-year $9 million
    CB Kelly Herndon (Seattle)
    QB Tim Rattay (Tampa Bay)
    S Bryan Scott (New Orleans)

TE Dwayne Blakley (Atlanta)
    CB Chris Carr (RFA-Oakland)
    TE Alge Crumpler (Atlanta)
    DE Jevon Kearse (Philadelphia) 2-year $6 million
    WR Justin McCareins (N.Y. Jets)
    OT Jake Scott (Indianapolis) 4-year $20 million
    LB Josh Stamer (Buffalo)

CB DeMarcus Faggins (Houston)
    DT Jovan Haye (Tampa Bay) 4-year $16 million
    WR Mark Jones (Carolina)
    QB Patrick Ramsey (Denver)
    WR Nate Washington (Pittsburgh) 6-year $27 million

LB Will Witherspoon (Philadelphia) 3-year $11 million
    P/K Ricky Schmitt (San Francisco)
    DE Jason Babin (Philadelphia)
    CB Tye Hill (Atlanta)
    QB Chris Simms (Denver)
    TE Sean Ryan (Washington)

QB Matt Hasselbeck (Seattle) 3-year $21 million
    DT Shaun Smith (Kansas City)
    TE Daniel Graham (Denver)
    LB Barrett Ruud (Tampa Bay)
    CB Frank Walker (Minnesota)
    S Jordan Babineaux (Seattle)
    T Pat McQuistan (Miami)
    S Anthony Smith (Green Bay)
    T Adam Terry (Jacksonville)
    RB Kestahn Moore (Washington)
    WR Kevin Curtis (Kansas City)

Kamerion Wimbley (Oakland Raiders) 5-year $35 million
    Steve Hutchinson (Minnesota Vikings) 3-year $16 million

Trades

Travis Henry 4-year $22 million
    Kevin Carter 6-year $45 million

vCash
    Yea we'll sign a decent name or 2 and then look for hidden gems. The 2008 off-season didn't jump out but man what a great season that ended up being

vCash
    What scares me is that last offseason the Titans had about $30 million in cap space and they signed Kamerion Wimbley and Steve Hutchinson. But then you look and they lost Cortland Finnegan and Jason Jones. Finnegan outplayed Wimbley and Hutchinson last year by a considerable margin and Jason Jones at least played on par with Steve Hutchinson.

I look for them to have a similar offseason this time as well. I expect them to put the franchise tag on Jared Cook and then possibly go after one player in the $6-7 million a year range probably at defensive end or safety. Then they will look to address everything else in draft.

vCash
    I'm still a firm believer that this team isn't that far away in terms of players/missing holes. We need 2 or 3 new starters on OL (Velasco isn't a bad C) and I think 1 or 2 (which may be enough) can come from the draft.

Sign a SS or DL (I think we could use both a DE & DT) for 6-7 million a year and that's another hole filled.

I don't think we need to sign a WR, T, LB or CB.

vCash
    I am hoping they at least let Hutchinson go so they can use that money on someone else. I would hope they wouldnt be content with just a safety or DE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    I'm still a firm believer that this team isn't that far away in terms of players/missing holes. We need 2 or 3 new starters on OL (Velasco isn't a bad C) and I think 1 or 2 (which may be enough) can come from the draft.

Sign a SS or DL (I think we could use both a DE & DT) for 6-7 million a year and that's another hole filled.

I don't think we need to sign a WR, T, LB or CB.
    I wouldnt mind another CB so they could have a solid rotation. I think the starters are fine but its that nickel CB that they need. I still feel like they should move Wimbley to OLB and move Brown inside. Getting Osi in free agency would be amazing to and it would give the titans more of an abillity to blitz from different positions. I do like McCarthy though and there is deffinatly potential there so not that I think they would move Wimbley back but I am content with the current linebackers.

vCash
    If you want to be depressed about the state of this franchise's front office, look at that list and take a few drinks. The only year where they clearly made an effort was 2006. Mawae, Thornton and Hope were all quality signings of talented veterans, but every season since they've clearly just done the bear minimum to get by. The Wimbley signing last offseason was a bit of a surprise, but you kinda get the feeling that he was their consolation prize after not getting Peyton and it was a necessity to keep Bud happy.

Not all teams go after big free agents all the time, but at some point you have to start spending cap space to fill holes and there's no reason they shouldn't have made more of an effort to do so in the last couple of free agency periods.

vCash
    I agree that issues need to be addressed at a lot of positions but I can't help but think that the money we have, which can be increased substantially by cutting some people, needs to go to the right places. Everybody got excited with the signing of Hutch and as best as I can tell, he made little to no difference. I want them to sign some players but I want guys that can actually play instead of just names.

vCash
    how about bring back an ex titan player CARY WILLIAMS.. he could possibly compete to be the #2 corner possibly #1