Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets fans said

vCash

Mets fans said

Mets fans said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night to watch his team play game after game. And watch the season die. Then dry his eyes and say, 'Maybe next year.' I need somebody who can shape a bullpen from a perennial mess, field an outfield with a group of scrubs, who can make fans out of doubters, feed me and my kids for less than $80. And who, signing time and off-season, will finish his forty-hour week by Tuesday noon, then, pain'n from 'financial struggles,' put in another seventy-two hours." So Mets fans hired Sandy.

vCash
    Bring back omar!!!!

vCash
    Im really happy with what Sandy has done since he's came in for the most part. Im really confident that we will no longer be handing out team wrecking contracts (Bay/Krod/Castillo/Ollie/etc...) which we had to deal with under Omar.

Can't wait to see this much improved farm system starting this year in the bigs, I also think we will start to spend big (albeit wisely-- unlike under the Omar era) in the next couple years. Sandy has no problem giving Bourn (a big time FA that everyone has been complaining about) the 12-15mil dollars per year, it's just the years that matter. Anything more than 3 would be a huge mistake.

Really happy we have him. Too many fans on this board who are against him because we haven't spent big, are so foolish. We had one of the highest payrolls in baseball before Sandy came in and we didnt win jack ****. After numerous devastating lucrative contracts to underperforming players, the organization became fed up with it and realized they have to take a break from spending and build the farm to get back on their feet.

I mean look at the Yankees. Not even they are spending on big name FAs. They are finally realizing that after a long time of handing out big contracts and coming up short, they have to take a step back from the huge deals. Same ordeal as Sandy and the Mets. Stop being ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan0791 View Post
    Bring back omar!!!!
    lol hell no.

vCash
    We're all conscious that money will have to be spent for this team to contend in the near future.

They are looking for longer term tenability and relevance like the Cardinals, Rangers, Rays, etc etc.

Those are how good organizations are run.

Teams that sustain success have roster and financial flexibility, that's what the Mets are looking to do.

FA acquisitions are certainly part of that but this team shouldn't be centered around just spending on FA after FA to fill every hole. That's how you accumulate bad contract after bad contract.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 07:21 PM.

vCash
    Wake me up when they actually try and win, before we start anointing Sandy as baseball Jesus - thanks.

vCash
    wrong thread...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    We're all conscious that money will have to be spent for this team to contend in the near future.

They are looking for longer term tenability and relevance like the Cardinals, Rangers, Rays, etc etc.

Those are how good organizations are run.

Teams that sustain success have roster and financial flexibility, that's what the Mets are looking to do.

FA acquisitions are certainly part of that but this team shouldn't be centered around just spending on FA after FA to fill every hole. That's how you accumulate bad contract after bad contract.
    Bingo. This team can't be "quick fixed" year after year. If you want sustained competitiveness and contention, you need to change the entire philosophy of the organization. Stockpile the farm, get rid of the fat, be careful with contracts, etc. For the people who want Sandy and the Mets to be splurging on FA's, patience is a virtue.

vCash
    My biggest complaint this Offseason has been that Sandy lied to our faces and hasn't even tried to improve the team. I haven't said much in a while because he shut me up. Have we been signing top tier players? Absolutely not. But he has been going after and signing people that can possibly make a difference on this team, we don't have a great team and I don't expect us to win anything this year, but I can say that we are at least picking up some pieces where when i see them in the papers on my morning commute, I don't have to wonder how the ******* they will contribute or even fit into what we need. Our Bullpen has the potential to be pretty strong next year, and I'm not too concerned about our pitching. Who knows, maybe we pull out 80 wins

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    70 wins = 2013 season.

Things improve from 2014 and on.

If SA is the right GM, he should have the team competing for a playoff spot in 2015. Otherwise, call this team the KC or Pittsburgh Mets.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Can We Win 45 Games In The 2nd Half.....

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    So far, I haven't seen anything from Sandy other than try to build a team on the cheap.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    That's in stark contrast from Omar who tried to build a team by flushing millions of dollars down the toilet.

There has to be a better way.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    That's in stark contrast from Omar who tried to build a team by flushing millions of dollars down the toilet.

There has to be a better way.
    That's what I don't understand how people are unhappy with Sandy thus far. Do we really need another Omar Minaya here?? The guy wanted people in the seats...he wanted big contracts to big names so that fans had "hope". I don't care if Alderson signs another big-time FA for the next few years as long as he keeps restocking the farm system with more depth and makes some valuable trades. FA acquisitions are overrated...how most Mets can't see this from previous failures is astonishing to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    That's what I don't understand how people are unhappy with Sandy thus far. Do we really need another Omar Minaya here?? The guy wanted people in the seats...he wanted big contracts to big names so that fans had "hope". I don't care if Alderson signs another big-time FA for the next few years as long as he keeps restocking the farm system with more depth and makes some valuable trades. FA acquisitions are overrated...how most Mets can't see this from previous failures is astonishing to me.
    The Mets can't be risk averse either, they are a big market franchise playing in the biggest city in the world.

Larger market contracts should absolutely be a part of their plan and i think if they don't sign Bourn, next year is the year they have to start showing something in FA. The Mets are alienating a lot of their fan base going this small market route and if they want people to come back to the ballpark they are going to have to show they can take those type of financial risks.

Now obviously that shouldn't be their sole motivation but let's be honest there are no major OF prospects (unless Puello or Den Dekker really tear it up this year) and the Mets need to address that if they want to compete.

They've done a good job of rebuilding and they have another draft class this year that hopefully will continue to build on that depth. We also have maybe the best minor league system in baseball in regards to SP and that should be an asset in trade as well.

I like the route that they have taken because all Omar did at the end was basically burn money but Sandy can't play small market GM forever either. As we can see there are teams like the Pirates and Royals that have spent years building through the draft and they still can't make the playoffs.

If the Mets want to compete anytime in the near future the Wilpons will have to open their wallets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-05-2013 at 03:01 PM.

vCash
    I really don't see why Sandy is still getting hate. We need to remember that this wasn't a free agent class stockpiled with talent. There wouldn't have been a smart outfield signing that would have improved this team by any more than a few wins. Scott Hairston wouldn't have hit 20 homeruns again in New York, he may in Chicago, but he always might go back to hitting 10 homeruns a year.

Let's also remember we just spent over 100 million on our best player. It's not exactly easy to go out and spend money after handing out a contract like that.

Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to see pursuits of Hamilton and Grienke and other big name guys, but it wouldn't have been smart. Under the circumstances, I think Sandy has done a veyr good job this offseason putting this team in a position to win in the future while also keeping 2013 in mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast