Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Santana Eyes World Baseball Classic While Mets Remain Cautious

http://dicomo.mlblogs.com/

Johan Santana has been working out recently with the intention of being in good enough shape to join Team Venezuela for next month’s World Baseball Classic. Now nearly two-and-a-half years removed from shoulder surgery, he is healthy and the Mets plan to treat him like any other pitcher this spring.

But insurance obstacles could prove prohibitive in his quest to compete on an international stage. Because Santana finished last season on the disabled list, the Classic must be willing to insure the $31 million remaining on his contract for him to compete.

Even if Santana clears that hurdle, the Mets could ask him not to participate, as many teams do for older players — particularly for pitchers, and certainly for pitchers with his recent history of arm trouble.

Asked directly about the situation, general manager Sandy Alderson said he would not open that can of worms unless Santana approached the Mets asking to play. So far, the left-hander has not done so. But a second tour of duty for Venezuela — Santana played in 2006, but sat out 2009 while recovering from knee surgery — seems unlikely.
    Does anyone else have a problem with this besides me?

I don't love the idea of him pitching in the WBC with the injuries from last year and perceived fatigue after the no hitter.

vCash
    I'm fine with it.

vCash
    If the mets allow this they're crazy
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    He's not pitching in the WBC.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    I don't have too big of a problem with it. There is a chance he does something bad and hurts himself, but at the same time, I see it as extra time to get himself ready and warm up the arm a little more for the season. It's not like he'll be pitching 9 inning games, if he even does participate.

vCash
    Can't allow this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I don't have too big of a problem with it. There is a chance he does something bad and hurts himself, but at the same time, I see it as extra time to get himself ready and warm up the arm a little more for the season. It's not like he'll be pitching 9 inning games, if he even does participate.
    This is the point of P's & C's and Spring Training.. no thanks to the WBC
    #oneatatime

vCash
    He's gonna be gone after 2013 so who cares really. If he gets hurt, well we got Wheeler.

vCash
    My issue with it is if gets hurt its 30 million dollars down the drain for an unnecessary event.

I don't want to lose him as a possible trade chip either if he is pitching well by the deadline and they are out of it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-05-2013 at 01:28 PM.

vCash
    'Mets remain cautious' - I'm going to have that on my headstone.

vCash
    If he gets hurt I do not care anymore because this year the Mets are going to battle for 4th place and yes I would want to see Mejia or Wheeler get some starts.

Johan forever will be the guy that gave me one of the greatest baseball moments in my life and to me that was worth 137 million.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    This is the point of P's & C's and Spring Training.. no thanks to the WBC
    I know, but how many times do people say "Don't let so and so throw over 100 pitches, it's only April!". I see nothing wrong with some extra pre season work, especially against proven major leaguers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    http://dicomo.mlblogs.com/

Does anyone else have a problem with this besides me?

I don't love the idea of him pitching in the WBC with the injuries from last year and perceived fatigue after the no hitter.
    Thank you, metswon69, for being a voice of reason here.

Yes, I have a HUGE problem with a player under contract for $31 million not focusing all of his energies on preparing for the professional season. And I have a bigger problem with said player possibly putting his professional season in jeopardy by participating in a pre-season tournament instead of preparing for the professional season.

The Mets have no recourse here. They are at the whim and whimsy of Santana and whichever direction he is driven by his patriotic feelings toward his native Venezuela. You can thank Bud Selig for this. When the WBC was started, he agreed to allow all MLB players under contract to play in the tournament according to their own desire. And if they risked their health while under guaranteed contracts, so be it.

That was wrong.

So if Santana blows his arm out again trying to pitch Venezuela to the WBC championship, he still gets paid.

The only thing Santana should be worried about right now is the 2013 MLB season. That the WBC is even on his mind right now is a travesty and an insult to every Mets fan.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I know, but how many times do people say "Don't let so and so throw over 100 pitches, it's only April!". I see nothing wrong with some extra pre season work, especially against proven major leaguers.
    There's a huge diffrerence between getting your arm in shape by throwing non-impact innings versus playing an intensely competitive tournament at full speed without the necessary preparation.

I always felt that every player signed to a guaranteed major league contract who wanted to compete for his native country in the WBC should be required to report to a special ST by mid January. This way, they'd be in top season form by the time the WBC started.

As it is now, they're barely in playing shape at the onset of the WBC. And if the choice is between participating in an exciting global baseball tournament or performing mundane, repetitive Spring Training exercises and boring exhibition games, it's no wonder players opt for the tourney.

My point is that players under guaranteed contracts shouldn't be permitted to make that choice without some kind of stipulation that they get into mid-season condition first. I wonder how many MLBers would be so willing to participate in the WBC if it meant an extra month of work?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Delgado, Beltran, Reyes, Perez, Wright, Putz all were in the WBC in 2009, all but Wright missed significant time that year and Perez was out of shape and hideous that entire year. Coincidence... perhaps, then again, perhaps not. Full speed baseball in March is a horrible idea. Santana will likely break down earlier than normal if he plays in this meaningless exhibition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast