Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Will Vokoun steal Fleury's Starting Job?

The question is what it is?

You have an overqualified backup behind a starter who has been the clear starter since the lockout for the Pens (With magnificent endurance but uneven results but a Cup ring) but the starter is significantly struggling while the backup is excelling. Age and contract status might prevent such a move for the Penguins. However, at the same time the Penguins are Cup contenders and you don't want to waste a season of Sid's and Evgeni's prime if you have questionable goaltending?

How much longer is Fleury the starter if you think he will be replaced? If not how long a leash should he get?

vCash
    I doubt he ends up with more starts but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up playing in close to 20 games. If you can, why not keep both goalies rested?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    I doubt he ends up with more starts but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up playing in close to 20 games. If you can, why not keep both goalies rested?
    I guess I'm also talking about whose going to the Game 1 of the playoffs starter as well.

vCash
    No. Pens management has too big of a bromance with Fleury to demote him. Most likely, a 50/50 split will happen. And it should.

Flower hasn't even been that bad, either. He played well against the Devils, Flyers and Senators, decent against the Leafs and Isles. And it wasn't like it was his fault in either the Isles or Leafs games, the team was terrible.

However, as I said above, a 50/50 split is in order, both are good starting goalies. There really isn't any major issues on the Pens roster right now. Boychuk came in as the 2nd line winger, Despres and Bortuzzo have stepped up for the D and both goalies have done well. The only issue is that the team under-performs a lot, but that is on the coach for putting up bad line combos/matchups. Seriously, Glass with Malkin? Ugh.

vCash
    At no point in Fleury's career has he been a better goalie than Vokoun. Just saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    At no point in Fleury's career has he been a better goalie than Vokoun. Just saying.
    He's better than vokoun right now. Fleury has been much better than what the team has made him look. Bylsmas system is not goalie friendly. He gets hung out to dry. As a pens I've watched just about every game fleury has played in his professional career and can say that among all of the things I've complained about, his goaltending has rarely been an issue for me.

vCash
    60/40 fleury until playoffs then fleury is the man. Brent Johnson was so bad last year that fleury never got a break. He had to play on his off nights because Johnson would get pulled. Vokoun was brought in to keep fleury fresh for the playoffs.

vCash
    Fleury hasn't been bad this year vokoun is playing well and was told he would start at least 20 games when he signed.
    He will never be the starter though he is 36 and Fleury is much younger and you can't break his long term confidence. Fleury will be much better this year in the playoffs because he will be rested

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
    No. Pens management has too big of a bromance with Fleury to demote him. Most likely, a 50/50 split will happen. And it should.

Flower hasn't even been that bad, either. He played well against the Devils, Flyers and Senators, decent against the Leafs and Isles. And it wasn't like it was his fault in either the Isles or Leafs games, the team was terrible.

However, as I said above, a 50/50 split is in order, both are good starting goalies. There really isn't any major issues on the Pens roster right now. Boychuk came in as the 2nd line winger, Despres and Bortuzzo have stepped up for the D and both goalies have done well. The only issue is that the team under-performs a lot, but that is on the coach for putting up bad line combos/matchups. Seriously, Glass with Malkin? Ugh.
    Incredibly entertaining that I got ripped into when I said Fleury was barely a starting quality goaltender, but now you want him to be splitting time 50/50 with his backup. His backup being a goalie that has shuffled from team to team in the past few years because he kept losing his job to backups.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantakins View Post
    He's better than vokoun right now. Fleury has been much better than what the team has made him look. Bylsmas system is not goalie friendly. He gets hung out to dry. As a pens I've watched just about every game fleury has played in his professional career and can say that among all of the things I've complained about, his goaltending has rarely been an issue for me.
    I'd say goaltending is the sole reason why the Pens only have 1 cup. They'd be a dynasty if they had an even above average goalie between the pipes.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Incredibly entertaining that I got ripped into when I said Fleury was barely a starting quality goaltender, but now you want him to be splitting time 50/50 with his backup. His backup being a goalie that has shuffled from team to team in the past few years because he kept losing his job to backups.
    Vokoun never lost his job except in Washington and thats partially because he got injured?

He was always the starter in both Nashville and Florida

vCash
    Can we just stop these threads before they start? There are going to be a LOT of backup goalies playing this year, that doesn't mean every one of them is going to steal every starting job.

vCash
    Why its a good question.

And some backups usually steal some jobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Vokoun never lost his job except in Washington and thats partially because he got injured?

He was always the starter in both Nashville and Florida
    Getting traded or not signed is the same as losing your job to the rookie/backup. He is no longer the starting goalie for any of those teams, ergo he lost the job.

-Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Getting traded or not signed is the same as losing your job to the rookie/backup. He is no longer the starting goalie for any of those teams, ergo he lost the job.
    Sorry so did Luongo lose his job in Florida?

Being traded is not the same thing as losing the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast