Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

If one looks at this as a business, what would the prudent course of (in)action be?

I have seen the various and sundry posts proclaiming "this is a business" and "there is no place for sentimentality" when considering whether to trade Pierce, KG, Rondo or any other player asset.

From a business standpoint, do you believe it prudent for the Celtics to trade player assets by the trade deadline if doing so would almost assuredly mean Boston would not make the playoffs thereby losing playoff revenue?

We look at the proposed competitive future advantages possibly gained by "blowing it up now", but can projected possible competitiveness be balanced by the potential revenue loss? We are, of course, debating long-term and short-term effects of trading or not trading Pierce and / or KG, but from a financial bottom line as opposed to a competitive bottom line although the two are directly related.

Is it better from a financial perspective to remain competitive (relative term) for as long as possible foregoing a rebuild and the distinct possibility of accompanyng down turn in revenue or is it more fiscally responsible to "blow it up" and hope the franchise can accomplish a rebuild and associated financal rebound in short order? What in-coming player assets would be required to assure a competitive rebuild could take place in 1 yr? 3yrs? 5 yrs?

Is the financial stability of the franchise such that they are positioned to go through 1-5+ lean years while the team builds back to competitive competence? Or do they need the financial security of Pierce, KG, Rondo until they can go no more?

Discuss.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Playoff revenue is a small blip on the radar.

And speaking of business, let's discuss utilization of available resources.

Pierce, Garnett, Rondo (Maybe), Terry, Bass, Barbosa are guys that aren't going to be here for the long term. Keeping them on the roster as the team downgrades exponentially each year will keep you semi-competitive (first round exit, in all likelihood) for two more years. Trading them now can set you up so you're a consistent playoff team again in two years.

Keeping them on the roster (standing pat) is just delaying the inevitable rebuild. It's going to happen no matter what in the next few years. Why wouldn't you use your resources to acquire valuable pieces to move forward with? Two years of mediocre playoff performances? Hardly.

Speaking strictly from a business perpective, you need to look at the long term results of your franchise, not the short term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

And speaking of business, let's discuss utilization of available resources.

Pierce, Garnett, Rondo (Maybe), Terry, Bass, Barbosa are guys that aren't going to be here for the long term. Keeping them on the roster as the team downgrades exponentially each year will keep you semi-competitive (first round exit, in all likelihood) for two more years. Trading them now can set you up so you're a consistent playoff team again in two years.

Keeping them on the roster (standing pat) is just delaying the inevitable rebuild. It's going to happen no matter what in the next few years. Why wouldn't you use your resources to acquire valuable pieces to move forward with? Two years of mediocre playoff performances? Hardly.

Speaking strictly from a business perpective, you need to look at the long term results of your franchise, not the short term.
    Agree 1000%... Why delay the inevitable? Especially seeing how the inevitable is so close.

vCash
    swoooosh.

One would delay the inevitable because of the cash flow the current roster generates.

Near misses and injuries to blame them on (Perk, Rondo, Bradley, et al) have kept expectations high (for enough) and fans in the seats, merchandise flying off the shelves, revenue flowing. This is why, at least in part, "it" hasn't been blown up before this.

Kinda the point of the thread.
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    Let's try this again.

Yes, it's inevitable.... milk this roster for every cent you can. Get everything you can from it. There's still money to be made NOW. Future revenue is unpredictable.

No way of knowing how quick a turn around can be made.

To trade away your money generators you must have money generators in waiting or in return. If not, milk what you have dry and then procede to the inevitable.

That's business.

The C's are not going to fail financially.

Maybe they are sold after being bled dry?

Bottom out after there's nothing left on the bones and get those lottery picks.

vCash
    I like to think that Doc wouldn't have re-signed here if Danny didn't have a plan to stay competitive after our current group left.

I guess we'll know within the next few days.

vCash
    We should be making multiple moves for young players, expiring contracts, and draft picks (we've traded a ton away the last couple years -it seems-) I think KG could be talked in making one more playoff run and then retiring, it wouldn't change his legacy as a Celtic at all (I think he fears that in away).

I somehow hope we ship Pierce and KG off together, so they could make a final push together. Championship pedigree and their name alone could attract a worthy offer by the deadlie..

vCash
    A point being made is DAnny doesn't have final say on these trades from a business perspective.

If I am an owner, I may place more priority on protecting my current revenue stream. Especially in this economy. It is the ol' "A bird in hand is worth two in the brush" scenario.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRondo17 View Post
    We should be making multiple moves for young players, expiring contracts, and draft picks (we've traded a ton away the last couple years -it seems-) I think KG could be talked in making one more playoff run and then retiring, it wouldn't change his legacy as a Celtic at all (I think he fears that in away).

I somehow hope we ship Pierce and KG off together, so they could make a final push together. Championship pedigree and their name alone could attract a worthy offer by the deadlie..
    This is a competitive perpsective, but not necessarily a financial perspective. Lot's of threads on the competiive perspective to speculate about trade scenarios. This is more about any moves making sense for Wyc's wallet.

vCash
    Wyc knows this group isn't going to get him into the playoffs many more times (playoffs being a first round exit), the extra revenue created from having a first round exit is insignificant when you are talking about competing for years to come (and the revenue that would create) Any good owner knows everything has a depreciation value, we need to get value while we can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRondo17 View Post
    Wyc knows this group isn't going to get him into the playoffs many more times (playoffs being a first round exit), the extra revenue created from having a first round exit is insignificant when you are talking about competing for years to come (and the revenue that would create) Any good owner knows everything has a depreciation value, we need to get value while we can.
    Playoff revenue is but one consideration of the current revenue flow.

vCash
    As a business you would stick with what you have(fan favs make you money) unless you can bring in a superstar.

If you start a rebuild with little pieces than you lose money now and in the long run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post
    As a business you would stick with what you have(fan favs make you money) unless you can bring in a superstar.

If you start a rebuild with little pieces than you lose money now and in the long run.
    +1

vCash
    I think this is the toughest position DA/Celtic organization has been in. They're is stuck in a position where he needs to maintain a certain standard for the casual fan to remain interested in the team while also trying to find a solution for the future.

Knowing Boston is not a destination many FA covet leaves us with limited options. Getting expiring contracts doesn't do us good when we can't land that superstar in FA. I think that if we do not cash out on KG/PP now or in the near future then we will have to be that team that trades expiring contracts for picks/young talent and take on those horribly outrageous contracts.

The Celtics will only keep generating money if they either remain competitive (which isn't likely if they don't trade PP/KG for future assets) or become an exciting team to watch. Rondo isn't the best PG in the league but he may just be the most exciting to watch so I can't see the Celtics trading him this season or any other.

vCash
    Completely disagree.

Trading them now can set you up so you're a consistent playoff team again in two years.
    Again, completely disagree here. This team holds value if it remains competitive EVERY year. Also, there is absolutely no guarantee that if you go into rebuild mode, that you will stack the right amount of chips to get you back into the playoffs in 2 seasons. I mean our team on paper at the start of the year looked like a Finals or bust team. Now, we're sitting at .500. They may go out and get who they think will get us back to a competitive level, and the team may get worse or take several more years to even get back to a playoff level.

I've quoted here many times lately, including the initial time I spoke of this where I showed a link to a Wyc interview, where it showed how they finally got this team to one of the 5 highest value teams in the NBA. There is absolutely no way that Wyc and the current owners will let us trade away big chips now, looking ahead a few years. No way in hell. Book it. Unless they sell now, you won't see this plan of action take place.

The only way to keep the value high is to trade small pieces to keep us at a competitive level. Playoff teams keep a franchise going and the value high.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast