Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Top European football matches 'fixed', Europol finds

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 680 matches across the world investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.
    But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

At a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Europol claimed:

- The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in the "last three or four years";

- The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";

- Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";

In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits. In total 380 suspicious matches were in Europe and a further 300 in Africa, Asia and south and central America. Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol - the European Union's law enforcement agency, said:"This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network." Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

In addition to the £13.8m wagered on Germany-based matches, payments of £1.73m are thought to have been paid to those involved.

Financial details were not given from the other countries said to be involved, except that the biggest payment to an individual was in Austria for a total of £121,000. Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe, adding that match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

In total, 30 countries and close to 700 matches worldwide were examined.

Many of the allegations involved matches in lower divisions around Europe.

German police described a global network involving couriers ferrying bribes of up to £86,000 per match around the world, paying off players and referees. Most cases have been discovered in Germany where 14 people have been jailed for a total of 39 years. Criminal convictions have also been secured in Finland, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria.

Asked specifically about the allegations surrounding the Champions League tie held in England, Wainwright declined to identify the match because of "ongoing judicial proceedings".
    However he did say it happened in the last three to four years, adding: "The focus has been on other countries, not the United Kingdom. However we were surprised by the scale generally of the criminal enterprise and just how widespread it was.

"It would be naive and complacent of those in the UK to think such a criminal conspiracy does not involve the English game and all the football in Europe."

A Uefa spokesman said they would co-operate with the investigation. He said: "We will be liaising with Europol in relation to any reports of match fixing in European competition."
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21319807

This is obviously massive. I am dying to hear/see more details of this syndicate and all the games involved. Cue the Barça haters and all the trolls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21319807

This is obviously massive. I am dying to hear/see more details of this syndicate and all the games involved. Cue the Barça haters and all the trolls.
    no games on spain or france are in the mix so, no reason to throw anything there.

english team and Cl?

that leaves a very limited number of suspects, Mufc, City, chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool , everton? i dont remember if they made it there.

vCash
    btw you dont need to be any genius to know last years game between Lyon and ....i dont remember wich croatian team in day 6 of CL was fixed.

vCash
    Yes the MLS is clean as a whistle, although some outsiders may think its being fixed because the quality isn't always there haha
    Eastern Illinois Class of 2012'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    btw you dont need to be any genius to know last years game between Lyon and ....i dont remember wich croatian team in day 6 of CL was fixed.
    Dinamo Zagreb I think. Yeah, definitely fixed.

The one game that came to mind for me was the Chelsea vs Barca game in the semi-final a few years ago at Stamford Bridge.
    Possibly the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

vCash
    And you're wrong If you think I'm a 'Barca hater'.

I'm indifferent to both Barcelona and Chelsea. That match was just horribly officiated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UKBronco58 View Post
    Dinamo Zagreb I think. Yeah, definitely fixed.

The one game that came to mind for me was the Chelsea vs Barca game in the semi-final a few years ago at Stamford Bridge.
    Possibly the worst officiated game I've ever seen.
    When you Fix a game is so the HUGHE UNDERDOg goes trough and people win with the BET.

So you can disscount that game as being fixed since none of them were clearly favourites .

You can also discount Inter vs Barcelona the following year too where barsa got robbed.

Those types of games where there isnt a hughe disparity are not good for fixing.

the thing that has to be looked at is when a definelty underdog beats a much stronger team, example, fc Braga beating Seville to get into the CL group stage.

Or the sudden succes Cyprus team are enjoying in the CL beating much stronger clubs.

vCash
    funny how, btw, people in england moans bout the chelsea-fcb game, but completley forget that in the first leg, a week earlier, barcelona also got a couple bad calls that should have been penalty kicks in their favour and would have made the second leg irrelevant.

Or forget some years earlier, when Chelsea Beat barcelona because of an illegal goal conceeded by COLLINA.

vCash
    Glad that match fixing is still being actively policed.

vCash
    the last info says the fixing was scheduled from singapore and that the country/league with most actions is germany.

vCash
    apparently there where Fixed games at the Qualifiers for South africas world cup.

Henrys Hand goal anyone?

vCash
    You say 'people in England' like we're all Chelsea fans.
    I could not give a **** who won that game. However, it was horribly officiated in favour of Barcelona.
    You can deny that or deflect it all you want, that is the truth.

Plus OVER 700 games have been fixed. Is it not conceivable that one of those games was between two teams fairly evenly matched?
    The article clearly said it was a CL game, in England, over the past 3-4 years. That game jumped out because of the terrible officiating and it fits the circumstances.

I am neither a Chelsea homer or a Barca hater.

vCash
    @FootballFact101:
    #BREAKING Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet claims that the CL game that was fixed in England was Liverpool’s 1-0 win over Debrecen in 2009.

vCash
    @FootballFact101:
    The report places no suspicion on #LFC,it claims Debrecen's GK Vukasin Poleksic was ‘bribed to ensure the match ended with at least 3 goals’
    Didn't it end in a score of 1-0?

vCash
    Compared to like Juventes' scandal, how big or small is this? Or is it too hard to tell at the moment as enough facts haven't come out yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast