Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

CK: The ship is sinking

There are some harsh realities that Sacramento Kings fans, players, coaches and front office personnel need to understand.

This is it.

This is the team you will watch. The team you will play for. The team you will coach and this the team that you will finish the season with.

There will be no trades. There will be no guidance. No stability, nor improvement. No mandates from above on who should play or who should sit. At 17-32, this is the team and staff that will ride out this year and thereís nothing that anyone can do about it.

Whatís worse? Itís every man for himself.

Thatís the way it works in a lame duck season. And trust me, this is a lame duck season of epic proportions. Whether the future is in Sacramento or Seattle, no one survives this mess.

Not the coaching staff and not the front office. And at least half these players will be employed by a new franchise next season.

Itís the way it goes. New ownership means new blood and new money coursing through the veins of this colossal train wreck. Money can buy a lot of things. Just how much will be tested because the laundry list is long.

But for now, there are still 33 games left in the Kingsí 2012-13 schedule. And they could all end like the game yesterday in New York.

In embarrassment.

While we would like to see this team pull together and be galvanized by the many outside distractions, that is not in the cards. It is about to get uglier. This is no longer a team, but a group of men auditioning for their next job and it doesnít end with the guys on the roster.

If Keith Smart wants to earn another head coaching job, he will play the players that will help him win the most games.

There is no time left for grooming and no thought of a youth movement. Smart has been through this before. He ran a 10-game improvement with the Golden State Warriors in the 2010-11 season while trying to impress new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber. It wasnít enough, but it still earned him a shot at the Kingsí job less than a year later.

So Jimmer Fredette fans beware. We will see plenty of Aaron Brooks, Francisco Garcia and John Salmons going down the stretch. It is the safest play for Smart, like it or not. He is more comfortable with veterans and that is where he will turn.

And the players? Letís make a list of them that are looking for new deals and possibly new teams next season: Garcia (unrestricted free agent), Brooks (player option), James Johnson (restricted free agent), Tyreke Evans (RFA) and Tyler Honeycutt (RFA). That list doesnít even include Isaiah Thomas (entering the final year of his rookie deal), DeMarcus Cousins (eligible for a monster extension) and Salmons (a major candidate for amnesty under a new ownership group).

What we are going to see is more of the same isolation, one-on-one basketball Ė only on steroids. Points equal dollars in the NBA and this is going to be a race to see who can score the most.

For the front office, this is the team that Geoff Petrie will go to his NBA grave with. He is as hamstrung as anyone in this situation and he has been for half a decade. However, there is no one to blame for his predicament but himself. He is the one who stayed in this situation, despite knowing who his bosses were.

Could you imagine being Petrie, owning the fifth pick in last summerís NBA Draft and not getting a single top five selection to come in for a workout? And that was before the franchise went completely nuclear.

Would Petrie like to make a handful of trades? You bet he would. How painful must it have been to read Marc Stein report that the Memphis Grizzlies would have traded Rudy Gay for Evans?

Itís not happening. The Maloofs wonít let Petrie adjust this roster. Not now. Itís not their team to work with and the last thing they would do is put a $525-million deal in jeopardy.

So get ready for 33 games of forgettable basketball. Sure, the Kings may win some games, but donít count on anything spectacular. This is about what is next for plenty of people.

While the world crumbles around them, expect survival instincts to take over. Expect hero mode and a major lack of accountability. Itís not an indictment on Smart, Petrie or the players. It is the reality of the 2012-13 Sacramento Kings. This is what happens when the ship is sinking.
    http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2013/0...e-supersonics/

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    bummer...

vCash
    Good read. Definitely a bummer.

Well, if they stay, at least we'll have a Top 5 pick in the draft. Wait, do the Cavs have our pick??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZebraCity916 View Post
    Good read. Definitely a bummer.

Well, if they stay, at least we'll have a Top 5 pick in the draft. Wait, do the Cavs have our pick??
    The Kings 1st round draft pick is protected in the following years...
    2013 - Top 13 protected
    2014 - Top 12 protected
    2015 - Top 10 protected
    2016 - Top 10 protected
    2017 - If the Cavs haven't received their 1st round pick by 2017 then they get a 2nd round pick (within top 55)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iMac View Post
    The Kings 1st round draft pick is protected in the following years...
    2013 - Top 13 protected
    2014 - Top 12 protected
    2015 - Top 10 protected
    2016 - Top 10 protected
    2017 - If the Cavs haven't received their 1st round pick by 2017 then they get a 2nd round pick (within top 55)
    Cool. Then we're good to go.

vCash
    Yeah... It sucks that this year is going so badly... but if we get sold to a local group... then next year can be a breakout year for us.

Imagine if we get a little luck in the draft lottery (finally). I think this year will produce some great players at the top of the draft. Ben Mclemore is looking pretty good right now...

And with a new ownership, we would likely have the freedom to make the moves needed to put together a good cohesive team. Ive got my fingers crossed...

vCash
    Right now we have the 7th pick in the lottery. We have the recipe to fall apart the rest of the season. Lame duck coach, star player looks ready to take the rest of the season off.

vCash
    I am still sticking with Shabazz. I think out of all the college players he is best suited for the NBA. If we can somehow get a top 3 pick we will get a good player. At this point I figure Noel, Mclemore, and Shabazz will be the likely 1, 2, and 3 players. My biggest fear is we get Cody Zeller. I am just glad the current ownership should be gone, it seems like their gameplan the last couple of seasons is get the most popular college player instead of the best suited pro player and we need to change that philosophy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I am still sticking with Shabazz. I think out of all the college players he is best suited for the NBA. If we can somehow get a top 3 pick we will get a good player. At this point I figure Noel, Mclemore, and Shabazz will be the likely 1, 2, and 3 players. My biggest fear is we get Cody Zeller. I am just glad the current ownership should be gone, it seems like their gameplan the last couple of seasons is get the most popular college player instead of the best suited pro player and we need to change that philosophy.
    I wouldnt be upset with Marcus Smart out of OKST. He is a big physical floor general. Size which we have none of, vision which we have very little of, and he can shoot a bit.

vCash
    This isn't news...

We've been in the Mariana Trench since Brent Barry's 3-pointer.