Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Teix admits he is overpaid and says he's not "valuable anymore."

Saw this hasn't been posted yet so I that I would post it.

Earlier in the week Mark Teixeira looked youthful and energized while making a one-night-only appearance in Broadway’s “Rock of Ages”. But the cold reality is, at just 32-years-old — he‘ll turn 33 in April — Teixeira is getting up there in baseball years, and is at the tail end of his prime.

That's just the way it is, but you might be shocked to hear that the first person who realizes and has accepted that fact just happens to be Teixeira himself.
    The Yankees first baseman admitted as much during a candid interview with Dan Barbirisi of the Wall Street Journal. Teixeira also discussed how he knows it will become increasingly difficult to be productive on the field, or least productive enough to live up to the mega-contract he’s locked into — he's still owed $90 million through 2016 — and that he understands fans will be justified in calling him overpaid.

Here are a few excerpts from the must read interview, beginning with accepting his prime years will soon be behind him:

"I looked at the first six or seven years of my career, I was in my 20s, it was easy. I wasn't searching for the right formula. To think that I'm going to get remarkably better, as I get older and breaking down a little bit more, it's not going to happen."

On the inevitable deterioration in skills:

"Maybe I'm slowing down a tick. Look, I'm not going to play forever. Eventually you start, I don't want to say declining, but it gets harder and harder to put up 30 [homers] and 100 [RBI]."

"This is my 11th year. I'm not going to play 10 more years. I want 5 or 6 good ones. So that would say I'm on the backside of my career. And instead of trying to do things differently on the backside of my career, why not focus on the things I do well, and try to be very good at that?"
    On his overall value and being overpaid:

"Agents are probably going to hate me for saying it. You're not very valuable when you're making $20 million. When you're Mike Trout, making the minimum, you are crazy valuable. My first six years, before I was a free agent, I was very valuable. But there's nothing you can do that can justify a $20 million contract."
    On failing to hit .260 each of the past three seasons:

"I want to be the player who hits home runs, drives in runs. I'd love to get back to the player that I've always been, but if I hit .250, .260, instead of .280, so be it."
    Brutal honesty may not go a long way in the eyes of fans who focus only on salaries and stats, but I have to think a player being honest with himself will help ease the mental burden that goes along with a decline in skills. In turn, that could help him avoid extended slumps and allow him to stay ahead of the curve.

Of course physically it could be a whole different story. In fact, just last season Teixeira missed 39 games with a calf injury and a brutal case of bronchitis. There's no telling when the human body will start throwing up red flags or begin the process of breaking down, but a strong and accepting mindset might go a long way towards overcoming those hurdles as well.

There's plenty more to read in the interview, including comments from Brian Cashman, who understands the point Teixeira has reached in his career. I'd suggest giving it a look if you have a few spare minutes.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...4953--mlb.html

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

2. 02-03-2013, 10:33 PM
    Reason
    Let's stay on topic.

3. 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
    Reason
    Let's stay on topic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    At least it's not Swisher , but really we need to talk about something other than Arod.
    Can't talk Swisher anymore. I will get banned. I like Tex and he speaks truth. I hope he figures something out to hit for average again, but it's doubtful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jd25213 View Post
    At least it's not Swisher , but really we need to talk about something other than Arod.
    This has crossed my mind before -- perhaps Teix was a juicer and he's just preparing fans for a steep decline this season because he was one of the players involved in the HGH scandal, and thus, won't be using anymore...

vCash
    Of course Tex was a juicer. He played in Texas w Arod in 2003.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    quick! Sign him to a 10 year extension!
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash

vCash
    I'm a big fan of Tex. the only thing that old make this story better is if he said

" Sterioids? Yeah, we all did them in the early 2000s. I mean, you couldn't compete without them at an elite level. It allowed me to bulk up, hit some extra hrs and got me this huge contract. Now, I'm basically natural , but I can still hit some nice bombs in YS. I don't think this is anything new to fans. They all know it. "
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Teix needs to have a tremendous year or the fans will grill his ***.....

.280 35 120

he must hit those numbers for the Yanks to be successful IMO.....Another season in the .230's is not going to cut it! He needs to hit some doubles and get the OPS way up!
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Teix needs to have a tremendous year or the fans will grill his ***.....

.280 35 120

he must hit those numbers for the Yanks to be successful IMO.....Another season in the .230's is not going to cut it! He needs to hit some doubles and get the OPS way up!
    He's never had a season in the .230's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    He's never had a season in the .230's.
    I was just being facetious as he is way below his 1st year as a Yankee with regards to batting average.....And I realize the saber jumkies do not follow batting average....How was his balls hit in play? I am not a sabermetric junkie so I don't even know the letters..BHIP?
    Nick

vCash
    I was just being facetious as he is way below his 1st year as a Yankee with regards to batting average.....And I realize the saber jumkies do not follow batting average....How was his balls hit in play? I am not a sabermetric junkie so I don't even know the letters..BHIP?
    The stat used for that is BABIP. His 2012 BABIP was .250 which ranked 140th in MLB for minimum plate appearances.

vCash
    Yeah, the stat is BABIP and it's been a lot lower than league average for the past three years. A low BABIP is typically attributed to "poor luck" but the spray charts for Tex over the past 6 years tell a different story that is obvious to those who watch him play every day. Until 2010, he hit a lot more balls on the ground and hit to different fields. Those two things have changed. Since 2010, he tends to hit more fly balls, indicating that he is swinging with more of an upper cut to try and hit HRs. When fly balls don't leave the park, they usually end up as outs. Tex hits IF fly outs a lot more frequently than he did between 2007-2009.

Also, as a LH batter, hit now hits almost everything to the right side of the infield, so teams routinely stack three IF on the right side of 2B, making it more difficult for ground balls to get through the IF.

In Tex's case, the low BABIP isn't a result of just bad luck, it comes from a poor approach to hitting that he seems unwilling to change. Get used to the .250 average and hope that he reaches the seats 30+ times per season.

Here's a fangraphs article saying basically the same thing:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...tting-average/

vCash
    It is ridiculous when you think about these boppers getting 600 plate appearances and only connecting on 30.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    he is overpaid, not news here
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    he is overpaid, not news here
    Pretty much. It's just interesting to see him speaking about it like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast