Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 283
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    21,566
    vCash
    1500
    Overreaction much?

    I agree he had some poor decisions, but he still needs to get used to the new look lineup.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    81
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    It's not like it's that easy to get a coach with a proven record. Also, why fire him when he hasn't even been given the chance with the current roster,
    I agree that it is not easy to get a coach with a proven track record, but a highly regarded coach is available right now that we can get, so why not jump on it when we have the opportunity ? As for giving him a chance with the current rooster ? I would be willing to had he shown any improvement in his offensive coaching since he got the head coaching job a year and a half ago, but he hasn't and that greatly concerns me, especially given the potential this team has now that we have Gay if we play a more running game style (and it showed in the Clippers and Heat game, when this team pushed the pace and ran we where dominating, the second we went back to the half court style Casey seems to prefer we really strugled).


    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    i think you are picking apart his flaws too much. i've always thought coaches should be judged first and foremost by results because there is so much going on that we never get to see.

    not wins and losses exactly, but does the team play hard and compete game after game?

    do they play at or above what they should based on the talent available?

    in this regard i'd say he does a pretty good job; we've been pretty competitive without being one of the more talented teams.
    I agree with your assesment, however I do look for improvement and I haven't seen any improvement in Casey's offensive coaching and that is making our team lazy and predictable, especially in close game situations, and this season it is starting to really show.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Overreaction much?

    I agree he had some poor decisions, but he still needs to get used to the new look lineup.
    But these same problems existed with the old lineup too. I can count about ten games this year where I "knew" we would lose int he last six minutes despite only being down by 5 points. You need movement at these crucial times. Motion offense is great, but you can't just run that all game. Teams figure you out, and you need to be clever at times. This is why drawing offensive plays during these times is crucial to winning games.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,589
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzo400 View Post
    But at some point (not anytime soon) it's not just about effort anymore. You need a coach that can draw up offensive plays at crucial times. Triano, while not a perfect all around coach was great at doing that. This is why we need to hire an assistant coach that focuses purely on offense.

    On another note, I think people often underestimate the importance of assistant coaches. We always judge a teams coaching style solely by the head coach. Assistant coaches can play a very important role and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of times they make head coaches look better than they are in reality.
    every coach is a hodge-podge of strengths and weaknesses. right now i'd say the overall package is neutral but the things that he needs to improve on, the strategy and managing lineups are the things that should get better with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    every coach is a hodge-podge of strengths and weaknesses. right now i'd say the overall package is neutral but the things that he needs to improve on, the strategy and managing lineups are the things that should get better with experience.
    I don't think lineups issue is that important. I agree with you that he needs to cut down the rotations and have a more stable lineup, but like you said, that can change with time and experience. However, being an offensive expert is not something that a coach learns easily. But this is why you need to get better assistant coaches. Everybody thinks that their only job is picking up basketballs after practice lol But they can play a crucial role in a teams success.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,267
    vCash
    1500
    we just had a major shakeup in the roster and if we believe BC's grumblings, with more to come. So just chill, even the coach doesn't know what he's gonna get out of this roster on a nightly basis yet.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,097
    vCash
    1500
    to be honest with you....i have to agree on this...i remember the last time the raptors face the heat....in OT....the only option was anderson....and he missed every shot.... hire avery j

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,589
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzo400 View Post
    I don't think lineups issue is that important. I agree with you that he needs to cut down the rotations and have a more stable lineup, but like you said, that can change with time and experience. However, being an offensive expert is not something that a coach learns easily. But this is why you need to get better assistant coaches. Everybody thinks that their only job is picking up basketballs after practice lol But they can play a crucial role in a teams success.
    i agree with you about the coaches. i just have no idea who we have and whether they are good at what they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    vCash
    1500
    I don't understand why ppl keep saying "give him time"... hes been in the league 20 years... he shoulda figured it out by now if he had what it takes. There's a reason hes only ever been a defensive coach.
    Last edited by jokerrrrrr; 02-03-2013 at 06:46 PM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    37,666
    vCash
    1255
    nah...

    he gets the guys to play hard and compete but his offensive sets and rotations are baffling


  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,131
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Jista View Post
    I agree that it is not easy to get a coach with a proven track record, but a highly regarded coach is available right now that we can get, so why not jump on it when we have the opportunity ? As for giving him a chance with the current rooster ? I would be willing to had he shown any improvement in his offensive coaching since he got the head coaching job a year and a half ago, but he hasn't and that greatly concerns me, especially given the potential this team has now that we have Gay if we play a more running game style (and it showed in the Clippers and Heat game, when this team pushed the pace and ran we where dominating, the second we went back to the half court style Casey seems to prefer we really strugled).
    Do you realize how hard it is to get a coach midway through the season. There's a reason why when a coach gets fired, the team uses one of the assistants as the interim head coach. No coach in their right mind would take a team midway through the year like this.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsjaysfan88 View Post
    chill we lost against the champs and players need 2 execute better. its not on the coach.
    There's more to being a good team then players just executing...

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    174
    vCash
    1500
    Yea lets bring backjay traino.. man what a douche thread.

    we were playing miami.. no offensive sets..sure mistakes happed.. you seem like one of these people who changes their feelings game by game.

    the guy is a defensive monster of a coach.. every coach except for popovich and sloan has their shortcomings.

    and if you think spolstra designs any plays..think again. its lebron and wade who design n play.

    be happy with what you have right now..there are 15 teams with their fans who wish had gay

    we just need backup pg ( Augustine or Udrih) and a backup center who could play d and shoot a FT (Dalambert,diop,haywood, JO again lol) and we'll be pretty good



    Quote Originally Posted by Jista View Post
    Does anyone else feel that it is about time we fire or demote Casey, I like him as a person and he always says the right things, but when it comes to offense I think he may be the worst coach in the NBA.

    Here are a few things that Casey is terrible at in my opinion.

    1) Rotations, Casey is way to inconsistent with his rotations and relies way to much on the bench. It seems that he uses the bench for the majority of the second and the third quarter irregardless of well they may be playing. When he had Amir and Lowry coming of the bench this was not the worst thing, but now that those guys are starting he needs to really tighten up his rotations and he hasn't been willing to showcase that.
    2) Does not know how to use properly use timeouts. If you watch some of the best coaches in the NBA (Rick Carlisle whom Casey coached under especially) they know how to use timeouts to stop a run, for example if Dallas is up by 12 against us and we score 4 points in a row, a good coach would call a timeout to break up the momentum that team may have gained, Casey seems to wait until the lead is erased before he calls a timeout.
    3) Offensive plays, 90% of the time the Raptors come down the floor on offense I can call what they are going to do, pass the ball behind the 3 point line for 10-15 seconds then let either Alan Anderson jack up a 3 pointer or let Demar go one one one against whomever is guarding him. Almost no plays are called for our big men (they get most of their points of put backs). We need a lot more variety in the offensive plays that are called especially now that we have a player like Gay that can create space and will consistently draw a double team.
    4) Over reliance on half court offense, this may have been more because it sorted Jose's style but even when this team has the opportunity to play a running game we tend to slow things down and run the same predictable plays.
    5) Forcing refs to call fouls in our favor, I know there is only so much Casey can do when it comes to this, but there is one thing this team never does that all successful teams do (especially those teams with players that like to cut to the basket). What this team needs to start doing, and I am hoping with Lowry in charge of the offense now we will start to is this, how many times this season have we seen Derozen drive to the basket, get hacked and then get no call, He then does what every player should and that is quickly call out the refs on it, BUT the Raptors never, EVER do the next step, which is on the very next play give the ball right back to Demar so he can once again drive to the basket to force the refs to make the call. Instead this team tends to go right back to jacking up three pointers.
    6) This team sucks at inbounding the ball, there has been no improvement on it what so ever, and I have never seen another team have as many turnovers of inbounds or close calls as this team has.
    7) Gives way to much leeway to Alan Anderson and Aaron Gray while having a really short leash with
    8) Closing out close games. I don't think I have to say much more about this.

    For these reasons and many others I feel that we need to drop Casey and get a coach with a proven track record and the ability to coach offense. Who should this coach be ? Nate Mcmillan, when Casey first came to Toronto I heard him described as the poor mans Mcmillan, I say its about time we go out and get the real deal, he did amazing things with the team he had in Portland and played a big part in the development of Lamarcus Aldrige and Brandon Roy. Imagine what he could do with Jonas and Ross.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jista View Post
    Outside of Lenny Wilkens this team has always taken a risk by hiring unproven coaches, considering we made the trade for Gay it seems that we want to win now. If that is truly the case why not get a coach with a proven record like Mcmillan.
    McMillan's coaching style doesn't fit the talent that we have now and considering how stubborn he is, he wouldn't be a good fit for our management. His offensive sets aren't that much better than Casey's. With McMillan, you run into the same problems that you have with Casey.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IKAZ View Post
    Yea lets bring backjay traino.. man what a douche thread.

    we were playing miami.. no offensive sets..sure mistakes happed.. you seem like one of these people who changes their feelings game by game.

    the guy is a defensive monster of a coach.. every coach except for popovich and sloan has their shortcomings.

    and if you think spolstra designs any plays..think again. its lebron and wade who design n play.

    be happy with what you have right now..there are 15 teams with their fans who wish had gay

    we just need backup pg ( Augustine or Udrih) and a backup center who could play d and shoot a FT (Dalambert,diop,haywood, JO again lol) and we'll be pretty good

    I agree with you about Dwane being a great defensive coach and that most of the ppl here are fickle and change there opinion between games. BUT, you cant compare where Erik Spolstra is with heat to where Dwane Casey is with the raptors... And when you dont have incredibly intelligent players like James,Wade and Bosh who can create in multiple ways, you have to play smarter.

    YES changes need to be made within our coaching staff, but that doesn't necessarily mean we need a new head coach.
    Last edited by jokerrrrrr; 02-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •