Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Time to fire Casey

Does anyone else feel that it is about time we fire or demote Casey, I like him as a person and he always says the right things, but when it comes to offense I think he may be the worst coach in the NBA.

Here are a few things that Casey is terrible at in my opinion.

1) Rotations, Casey is way to inconsistent with his rotations and relies way to much on the bench. It seems that he uses the bench for the majority of the second and the third quarter irregardless of well they may be playing. When he had Amir and Lowry coming of the bench this was not the worst thing, but now that those guys are starting he needs to really tighten up his rotations and he hasn't been willing to showcase that.
    2) Does not know how to use properly use timeouts. If you watch some of the best coaches in the NBA (Rick Carlisle whom Casey coached under especially) they know how to use timeouts to stop a run, for example if Dallas is up by 12 against us and we score 4 points in a row, a good coach would call a timeout to break up the momentum that team may have gained, Casey seems to wait until the lead is erased before he calls a timeout.
    3) Offensive plays, 90% of the time the Raptors come down the floor on offense I can call what they are going to do, pass the ball behind the 3 point line for 10-15 seconds then let either Alan Anderson jack up a 3 pointer or let Demar go one one one against whomever is guarding him. Almost no plays are called for our big men (they get most of their points of put backs). We need a lot more variety in the offensive plays that are called especially now that we have a player like Gay that can create space and will consistently draw a double team.
    4) Over reliance on half court offense, this may have been more because it sorted Jose's style but even when this team has the opportunity to play a running game we tend to slow things down and run the same predictable plays.
    5) Forcing refs to call fouls in our favor, I know there is only so much Casey can do when it comes to this, but there is one thing this team never does that all successful teams do (especially those teams with players that like to cut to the basket). What this team needs to start doing, and I am hoping with Lowry in charge of the offense now we will start to is this, how many times this season have we seen Derozen drive to the basket, get hacked and then get no call, He then does what every player should and that is quickly call out the refs on it, BUT the Raptors never, EVER do the next step, which is on the very next play give the ball right back to Demar so he can once again drive to the basket to force the refs to make the call. Instead this team tends to go right back to jacking up three pointers.
    6) This team sucks at inbounding the ball, there has been no improvement on it what so ever, and I have never seen another team have as many turnovers of inbounds or close calls as this team has.
    7) Gives way to much leeway to Alan Anderson and Aaron Gray while having a really short leash with
    8) Closing out close games. I don't think I have to say much more about this.

For these reasons and many others I feel that we need to drop Casey and get a coach with a proven track record and the ability to coach offense. Who should this coach be ? Nate Mcmillan, when Casey first came to Toronto I heard him described as the poor mans Mcmillan, I say its about time we go out and get the real deal, he did amazing things with the team he had in Portland and played a big part in the development of Lamarcus Aldrige and Brandon Roy. Imagine what he could do with Jonas and Ross.

vCash
    chill we lost against the champs and players need 2 execute better. its not on the coach.

vCash
    I agree. Fire him and keep Colangelo, the guy who's built these ****** teams for the past 6 years

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    +1

And let's change the name each time we lose too.

vCash
    He's arguably one of the best coaches this franchise has had with the talent the coaches have to work with.

If we got an offensive assistant coach, he'd be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    +1

And let's change the name each time we lose too.
    I think today's loss shows we need to relocate the team as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by conway429 View Post
    I think today's loss shows we need to relocate the team as well
    Maybe build an arena in Hamilton .... Hamilton huskies!!! Until the next lose....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsjaysfan88 View Post
    chill we lost against the champs and players need 2 execute better. its not on the coach.
    I have felt this way for quite a while actually (since the end of November begining of December), I expected today to be a loss given the talent the Heat have, that still doesn't excuse the fact that a lot of the things I feel Casey is incapable of doing are simple things that every succesfull coach in the NBA does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    He's arguably one of the best coaches this franchise has had with the talent the coaches have to work with.

If we got an offensive assistant coach, he'd be fine.
    Outside of Lenny Wilkens this team has always taken a risk by hiring unproven coaches, considering we made the trade for Gay it seems that we want to win now. If that is truly the case why not get a coach with a proven record like Mcmillan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    I agree. Fire him and keep Colangelo, the guy who's built these ****** teams for the past 6 years
    It's easy to put down the job Colangelo has done, but realisticly what would you have done differently ?

vCash
    Yeah let's fire the coach. It's all his fault.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Yeah let's fire the coach. It's all his fault.
    Am I incorrect about any of Casey's short comings as a coach ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jista View Post
    Outside of Lenny Wilkens this team has always taken a risk by hiring unproven coaches, considering we made the trade for Gay it seems that we want to win now. If that is truly the case why not get a coach with a proven record like Mcmillan.
    It's not like it's that easy to get a coach with a proven record. Also, why fire him when he hasn't even been given the chance with the current roster,

vCash
    i think you are picking apart his flaws too much. i've always thought coaches should be judged first and foremost by results because there is so much going on that we never get to see. by results i don't mean wins and losses, i look at these 2 questions.

1. does the team play hard and compete game after game?

2. do they play at or above what they should based on the talent available?

in this regard i'd say he does a pretty good job; we've been pretty competitive without being one of the more talented teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    i think you are picking apart his flaws too much. i've always thought coaches should be judged first and foremost by results because there is so much going on that we never get to see. by results i don't mean wins and losses, i look at these 2 questions.

1. does the team play hard and compete game after game?

2. do they play at or above what they should based on the talent available?

in this regard i'd say he does a pretty good job; we've been pretty competitive without being one of the more talented teams.
    But at some point (not anytime soon) it's not just about effort anymore. You need a coach that can draw up offensive plays at crucial times. Triano, while not a perfect all around coach was great at doing that. This is why we need to hire an assistant coach that focuses purely on offense.

On another note, I think people often underestimate the importance of assistant coaches. We always judge a teams coaching style solely by the head coach. Assistant coaches can play a very important role and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of times they make head coaches look better than they are in reality.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast