Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Yep, they're stupid. I want to win. I will rail against anything that gets in the way of that.
    Easy to say when it's not your money.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Who doesn't want to win? Business is always first in baseball now.

Some want to WIN, others would like to win under certain parameters. Like the Coupons

You're right about business first, which is why baseball in comparison to the NFL and NCAAF sucks. It's ludicrous, players get paid when they stink, and there's no cap.

You'd think this would suit the Mets, but no, we have lousy cheap tack owners who have consistently failed to use that advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjflightboy#10 View Post
    Easy to say when it's not your money.

I'm smart enough not to cut my nose off to spite my face.

vCash
    I'm smart enough not to cut my nose off to spite my face.
    lol Not quite sure what that means but I like it.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjflightboy#10 View Post
    lol Not quite sure what that means but I like it.
    "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger".

In this case playing Bay et al, because you're paying them.

vCash
    "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger".

In this case playing Bay et al, because you're paying them.
    How can you say you would've cut Bay after one year? For all you knew at the time, he might've come back and turned back into the old Jason Bay the next year.

It's easy to say now that you would've done this, this, and this. But at the time circumstances are different. By that thought process, you would've demoted Ike Davis last year and missed out on his monstrous second half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532 View Post
    How can you say you would've cut Bay after one year? For all you knew at the time, he might've come back and turned back into the old Jason Bay the next year.

It's easy to say now that you would've done this, this, and this. But at the time circumstances are different. By that thought process, you would've demoted Ike Davis last year and missed out on his monstrous second half.

It's a judgement call, they were playing Bay when it was clear he was done.

Monstrous second half? let's not get carried away here.

He hit over 20 homers, but he wasn't exactly raking. He hit .221 is July, and .228 in September.

Overall, he had a weak season, OPS under .800, he hit .221. He hit 32 homers, but that's the only category he excelled in.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 02-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.

vCash
    No owner was going to release him with 58 million dollars left on his deal.

Carlos Beltran had a terrible first season in NY in 2005, should they have dropped him?

You can scream "dead weight" till you are blue in the face, that's not how baseball works..

vCash
    Some want to WIN, others would like to win under certain parameters. Like the Coupons.
    Or any owner in baseball including Hank and Hal Steinbrenner.

Mets ownership was ranked top 5 and twice second to only the Yankees in the years preceding the Madoff scandal. They lost a lot of money they thought they had, the team underperformed on the field as well, and their resources dwindled significantly. Of course there are restrictions!
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

10. 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
    Reason
    Please try not to make post personal

11. 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
    Reason
    quoting a deleted post

vCash
    The Mets were not dumping Bay after one bad season...

The guy had averaged 30 home runs a season for his career to that point and was one of the better offensive LFs in the game, one bad year wasn't justification to drop a guy who had been that productive to that point.

Neither would any owner in baseball cut a guy they owed 58 million bucks to.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 11:28 AM.

vCash

He hit over 20 homers, but he wasn't exactly raking. He hit .221 is July, and .228 in September.

Overall, he had a weak season, OPS under .800, he hit .221. He hit 32 homers, but that's the only category he excelled in.
    Yeah but he had 9 HR in July and in September he walked a ton and still hit for a ton of power as his .228/.365/.494 line suggests.

Ike was atrocious the first 2 months for various reasons, but in June he turned his season around.

vCash
    Double post

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN Jose Valverde signing with #Marlins, according to @Enrique_Rojas1. So Brandon Lyon looks like final pen piece for #Mets.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Unless we get K-Rod again.

vCash

So you would've demoted Ike Davis last year. It was clear at the time he was awful was it not?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast