Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 84
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,478
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Yep, they're stupid. I want to win. I will rail against anything that gets in the way of that.
    Easy to say when it's not your money.

    Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Who doesn't want to win? Business is always first in baseball now.

    Some want to WIN, others would like to win under certain parameters. Like the Coupons

    You're right about business first, which is why baseball in comparison to the NFL and NCAAF sucks. It's ludicrous, players get paid when they stink, and there's no cap.

    You'd think this would suit the Mets, but no, we have lousy cheap tack owners who have consistently failed to use that advantage.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjflightboy#10 View Post
    Easy to say when it's not your money.

    I'm smart enough not to cut my nose off to spite my face.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,478
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'm smart enough not to cut my nose off to spite my face.
    lol Not quite sure what that means but I like it.

    Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjflightboy#10 View Post
    lol Not quite sure what that means but I like it.
    "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger".


    In this case playing Bay et al, because you're paying them.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,631
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger".


    In this case playing Bay et al, because you're paying them.
    How can you say you would've cut Bay after one year? For all you knew at the time, he might've come back and turned back into the old Jason Bay the next year.

    It's easy to say now that you would've done this, this, and this. But at the time circumstances are different. By that thought process, you would've demoted Ike Davis last year and missed out on his monstrous second half.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532 View Post
    How can you say you would've cut Bay after one year? For all you knew at the time, he might've come back and turned back into the old Jason Bay the next year.

    It's easy to say now that you would've done this, this, and this. But at the time circumstances are different. By that thought process, you would've demoted Ike Davis last year and missed out on his monstrous second half.

    It's a judgement call, they were playing Bay when it was clear he was done.

    Monstrous second half? let's not get carried away here.

    He hit over 20 homers, but he wasn't exactly raking. He hit .221 is July, and .228 in September.

    Overall, he had a weak season, OPS under .800, he hit .221. He hit 32 homers, but that's the only category he excelled in.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 02-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,987
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    It's a judgement call, they were playing Bay when it was clear he was done.
    No owner was going to release him with 58 million dollars left on his deal.

    Carlos Beltran had a terrible first season in NY in 2005, should they have dropped him?

    You can scream "dead weight" till you are blue in the face, that's not how baseball works..

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    16,321
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Some want to WIN, others would like to win under certain parameters. Like the Coupons.
    Or any owner in baseball including Hank and Hal Steinbrenner.

    Mets ownership was ranked top 5 and twice second to only the Yankees in the years preceding the Madoff scandal. They lost a lot of money they thought they had, the team underperformed on the field as well, and their resources dwindled significantly. Of course there are restrictions!
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

    Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

  10. 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
    Reason
    Please try not to make post personal

  11. 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM
    Reason
    quoting a deleted post

  12. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,987
    vCash
    1500
    The Mets were not dumping Bay after one bad season...

    The guy had averaged 30 home runs a season for his career to that point and was one of the better offensive LFs in the game, one bad year wasn't justification to drop a guy who had been that productive to that point.

    Neither would any owner in baseball cut a guy they owed 58 million bucks to.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-04-2013 at 11:28 AM.

  13. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,740
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    It's a judgement call, they were playing Bay when it was clear he was done.

    Monstrous second half? let's not get carried away here.

    He hit over 20 homers, but he wasn't exactly raking. He hit .221 is July, and .228 in September.

    Overall, he had a weak season, OPS under .800, he hit .221. He hit 32 homers, but that's the only category he excelled in.
    Yeah but he had 9 HR in July and in September he walked a ton and still hit for a ton of power as his .228/.365/.494 line suggests.

    Ike was atrocious the first 2 months for various reasons, but in June he turned his season around.

  14. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,740
    vCash
    1500
    Double post

  15. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,900
    vCash
    1500
    AdamRubinESPN Jose Valverde signing with #Marlins, according to @Enrique_Rojas1. So Brandon Lyon looks like final pen piece for #Mets.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  16. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    53,740
    vCash
    1500
    Unless we get K-Rod again.

  17. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,631
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    It's a judgement call, they were playing Bay when it was clear he was done.

    Monstrous second half? let's not get carried away here.

    He hit over 20 homers, but he wasn't exactly raking. He hit .221 is July, and .228 in September.

    Overall, he had a weak season, OPS under .800, he hit .221. He hit 32 homers, but that's the only category he excelled in.
    So you would've demoted Ike Davis last year. It was clear at the time he was awful was it not?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •