Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would MJ be ranked all time if he stayed retired?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still #1

14 45.16%
  • Top five

12 38.71%
  • Top 10

3 9.68%
  • Top 25

1 3.23%
  • Outside of Top 25

1 3.23%
    vCash

Michael Jordan's legacy if he stayed retired

What do you guys think MJ's legacy would be if he had stayed retired the first time? He would have played 10 years, had three rings, three MVPS and three finals MVPS. He'd also have a DPOY, a ROY, 9 all star selections and 7 scoring titles. But he'd also have retired at 30, seemingly with several years of his prime left. Personally I think his legacy would have been as the modern day Wilt. So much potential left untapped. So much more that could have come of his career. He put up great numbers and won a couple of rings, but he could have, should have been the greatest ever. There would also be some similarities to Barry Sanders in terms of early retirement. What do you all think?
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    without the second 3-peat, i think it would be hard to put him definitively ahead of say Kareem. Still top-5 though for sure. Arguably number 1.

vCash
    If only he stayed retired the 2nd time

vCash
    No way does he become number 1 for three championships. The second threepeat was the easier one arguably, but it lifted him beyond basketball. It was widely believed that he was the best of all time after that. After the first threepeat there was talk of him being great, but not greatest of all time, and not top five. Wilt, Oscar, Magic, Bird, Russell had that pretty locked in then.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    That would have left him with the highest career scoring average, but people would have wondered how he would have aged. How players age impact their standing in the eyes of many. It is the reason Larry Bird does rank higher than he does because he didn't age as well as Jordan.

The comparison with Sanders is interesting. He was, at the time, regarded as the best running back of all time, and easily would have gotten the most careers yards, but now people sometimes look over him when ranking the best at that position.

He'd still get a top ten ranking, and would still be considered by many as the best, but other guys would rank ahead of him considering career achievements. Kobe for example, with 5 rings, Duncan and Shaq with 4.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Players play

owners/gm acquire talent/pieces to make champ.type runs annually

JORDAN had the 'game' to garner top 5 after 3peat/retirement, SANDERS had top2-3 RB game off top, doesnt matter had he won zero rings like now or 3 like EMMITT or 4 like F.HARRIS, hes better individually, just like i feel AI/TMAC were better individually with a guy this era who has 5rings

i felt same way about BONDS/GRIFFEY over JETER who has 5rings, imagine those 2 in that market/teamtalent...same way i look at SANDERS/AI, its like pretty much all the individual players i feel are best are usually the ones who dont have a ring(s), but they game is top 5-10 alltime...thats the tricky part about media.....they always just vomit in your face with the ring talk,,,see MOSS vs RICE, RICE got so emotional he had to say he the best ever because he won a 'ring'? mediahypeatitsfinest

vCash
    The public would still have him as top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    That would probably be the biggest "What if" in the history of basketball. He would have retired a champ in the prime of his career. The course of history changes dramatically. I'm guessing the Bulls would win not more ships and other teams like Pacers, Magic, Knicks, Heat,Sonics, and Jazz are champs. The comparisons to some of those guys and past greats would put Jordan in a different conversation. There's an enormous difference in Jordan finishng his career with 3 ships, 3 finals MVPs, 3 MVP's, and 1 all star mvp as opposed to 6 ships, 6 finals MVP's, 5 MVP's, and 3 all star game mvps, and a host of other accolades he got when he returned.

vCash
    So much would have been changed. The bulls would have 3 less titles. I bet they would not even have Rose

vCash
    top 3 imo. 2nd 3peat forever solidified his airness to the highest pinnacle in basketball history.

vCash
    Under Kareem and Magic, where he should be anyway.....

BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

vCash
    Still #1 for me. Would have totally dominated his competition in that time span, and he is the best player I have ever seen, period.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.