Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I read the four things he listed. Lots of fun, but respectability? Come on man, we're not fanboys. Great to enjoy the dunks but we want more than that don't we? i want a team that can win against any opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    Who gives a **** about respectability? I want a team that competes for the championship and Rudy Gay isn't going to do that for the Raps. As long as Bryan Colangelo is running the team the best we'll get is a 7th seed and a first round exit.
    lol respectability....has much more to do with big name free agents feeling good about coming to Toronto, than people thinking Toronto is "cool." I don't really care what regular people think, but it does matter what NBA players think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    our wing rotation of derozan/gay/ross is probably the most talented we've ever had since t-mac/vince and imo has as much potential.
    lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    lol respectability....has much more to do with big name free agents feeling good about coming to Toronto, than people thinking Toronto is "cool." I don't really care what regular people think, but it does matter what NBA players think.
    Um, no, you're talking about marketing.

vCash

vCash
    lol sorry, I didn't realize you had a better idea of what I was talking about than I did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Simply put. The Raptors need to win in order to attract more free agents. Toronto itself has no problems as a city but rather it is the culture of the team. If and when the raptors start winning, you will see more free agents willing to come to Toronto.

vCash
    lol sorry, I didn't realize you had a better idea of what I was talking about than I did.
    You're talking about factors that don't contribute to winning directly like hype, which is marketing. You're clearly buying the hype at full price atm, which is fine because it's fun. But none of what you're talking about wins championships or wins consistently, which is what gains a franchise respectability.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor4life View Post
    Simply put. The Raptors need to win in order to attract more free agents. Toronto itself has no problems as a city but rather it is the culture of the team. If and when the raptors start winning, you will see more free agents willing to come to Toronto.
    Exactly right.

vCash
    Its been done before and I would love to see it again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogNSPU9LgE
    Last edited by Bob_at_york; 02-04-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: No video posting

vCash
    Another sign of the "Rudy Effect" working its magic in Toronto. Whether or not you think he is a star player, everyone around the league seems to think he is, and suddenly Toronto is getting some attention.

I'm seeing so many Raptors highlights on NBA.com now, and NBATV and ESPN analysts are calling the Raptors the most athletic team in the Eastern Conference. Shaq called himself "the black Bryan Colangelo" in preparation for his GM role in the Rising Stars challenge. And now Kendall Marshall saying this.

Looks like Rudy Gay was that final piece in bringing respectability back to the Raptors.
    You're talking about factors that don't contribute to winning directly like hype, which is marketing. You're clearly buying the hype at full price atm, which is fine because it's fun. But none of what you're talking about wins championships or wins consistently, which is what gains a franchise respectability.
    Look at my bolded line in my quote that urged you to respond with your assumption. What I was talking about (at least I think I know what I was talking about because I'm the one that said it) is that having a star player on your team brings the spotlight, and gives other players notice. It's not "marketing" as you say, it's just attention. Whether you like it or not, if a team has a bad reputation, players will laugh at the idea of coming here. Now with Rudy Gay on the team, players might give us a 2nd look if asked today "would you join the Raptors one day?" Even though our record is the same now as it was a week go.

Winning is an important factor as well, obviously, but that's a different topic for a different thread. This thread is about Kendall Marshall's comments, which he probably wouldn't have made if Rudy Gay wasnt traded here. And I'm sure that Kendall Marshall would be at least slightly more inclined to play for the Raptors today, than he was a week ago, even though our record is about the same.

That's all I was trying to say dude. Don't make assumptions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shifty View Post
    Its been done before and I would love to see it again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uogNSPU9LgE
    lol DeMar "I'm the most high flyingest, young gun, in town baby" lol I miss these days, where Sonny Weems at?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Who gives a **** about respectability? I want a team that competes for the championship and Rudy Gay isn't going to do that for the Raps. As long as Bryan Colangelo is running the team the best we'll get is a 7th seed and a first round exit.
    Memphis were contenders with Rudy Gay on their team. So he is a piece that can help bring your team to that level.

lol
    Unless you think Sonny Weems & Demar we're more talented.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Look at my bolded line in my quote that urged you to respond with your assumption. What I was talking about (at least I think I know what I was talking about because I'm the one that said it) is that having a star player on your team brings the spotlight, and gives other players notice. It's not "marketing" as you say, it's just attention. Whether you like it or not, if a team has a bad reputation, players will laugh at the idea of coming here. Now with Rudy Gay on the team, players might give us a 2nd look if asked today "would you join the Raptors one day?" Even though our record is the same now as it was a week go.

Winning is an important factor as well, obviously, but that's a different topic for a different thread. This thread is about Kendall Marshall's comments, which he probably wouldn't have made if Rudy Gay wasnt traded here. And I'm sure that Kendall Marshall would be at least slightly more inclined to play for the Raptors today, than he was a week ago, even though our record is about the same.

That's all I was trying to say dude. Don't make assumptions.
    I got your point the first time. We obviously disagree on what respectability is and how to get it. I don't remember the San Antonio Spurs winning any dunk competitions but I remember them winning a lot of championships. I also remember them attracting whichever player their coach and GM wanted to attract to drive for yet another championship. Winning is the ultimate attraction. We'll have to agree to disagree.

vCash
    ummm... who gives a **** what Kendall Marshall wants?
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    I do. But for random and unrelated reasons.

1) I suggested an all Raptor's dunk contest (DeRozan, Gay, Acy, Ross) in the Rudy Gay trade thread when the trade was announced. But as a private Raptor's event where proceeds would go to a Toronto charity. It would also be a nice event to offer to the faithful season's tickets holders who have continued to support such a frustrating product over the years

2) I want the Raptor's to somehow trade for Kendall Marshall as the backup PG behind Lowry. A rookie pass first PG that has shown he can be a floor general for talented players in college would be a nice fit. He is also buried in Phoenix and hardly playing. In my dream world where Toronto acquires him for spare parts, I'd like to know he is excited to play with this group of players

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    I do. I want him as our back-up/3rd pg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast