Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adrian Peterson wins NFL MVP, Offensive Player of the Year awards

Adrian Peterson wins NFL's MVP award over Peyton Manning night before Super Bowl 2013

Adrian Peterson must have a crystal ball tucked under his arm like he did football all season. At the Pro Bowl, he predicted he would win the NFL’s MVP award and on the eve of Super Bowl XLVII, he found out he was right.

Peterson pulled the night's big hardware – the AP MVP of the league in the second annual NFL Honors on Saturday night—upstaging fellow front-runner Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning for the honor. Manning settled for the AP Comeback Player of the Year award.

It is Peterson's first NFL MVP award.

The two had provided massive sports talk show fodder and fan debate in the preceding few months as both were coming off injuries to surge to improbable success.

Peterson, a running back who nearly set the NFL’s single-season rushing record this season, won his first MVP trophy on Saturday evening during the second annual NFL Honors Award Ceremony at Mahalia Jackson Theater in New Orleans.

The 26-year old Minnesota Vikings running back ball rushed 348 times for 2,097 yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 131.1 yards a game.

Doing so a year after tearing his MCL and ACL made the feat all the more remarkable. He came up nine yards shy of Eric Dickerson’s 1984 single-season rushing record of 2,105 yards.

“He shattered his knee 57 weeks ago. No more said,” ESPN analyst Cris Carter said earlier in the week.

Manning missed 2011 with a neck injury and despite winning the MVP award four previous times in his storied career – it was far from certain Manning could effectively throw the ball much less challenge for the league’s top honor after neck fusion surgery.

Manning’s feat impressed some because of his advancing age with regard to NFL players. Manning turns 37 in March.

But he finished with 4,659 passing yards and 37 touchdowns and a career-best quarterback rating of 105.8. Manning shared the MVP with Steve McNair in 2003 then won the award outright in 2004, 2008 and 2009.

Manning seemed pleased with the Comeback award.

"I can't tell you how happy I am to be back playing the game I love," Manning said.

But it was AD’s night – as he predicted it would be.

It was also J.J. Watt's night. Watt, a Houston Texans defensive end, led the NFL in sacks with 20.5 and had 81 tackles. Watt became the first defensive end to win the AP award since Jason Taylor in 2006.

Defensive Rookie of the Year went to the Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly. Kuechly led the league with 164 tackles, a year removed from playing at Boston College.

He elicited 28 votes (of out 50) from AP voters.

He is the second Panther to win the award. Defensive end Julius Peppers won in 2002.

Tight end Jason Witten of the Dallas Cowboys won the Walter Payton Man of the Year award for his work in helping provide male models for children in domestic violence-ridden families. Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas were also up for the award.

"No question, it's my biggest individual accomplishment," Witten said. "He (Payton) was known as sweetness on the field and he had the deep desire to be the best he could be and he did it the right way and to make an impact like he did – that's what it is all about."
    http://www.nola.com/superbowl/index...._nfls_mvp.html

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I for one am shocked.

vCash
    Zulgad: MVP honor another reminder doubting Adrian Peterson was a mistake

A year ago at this time Adrian Peterson was coming off surgery in which two ligaments in his left knee were reconstructed and yet the Minnesota Vikings running back was telling anyone who would listen that he not only would return but he would be better than ever when he did.

Peterson's attitude was admirable even if his expectation seemed unrealistic.

Peterson had torn his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments and the conventional thinking went like this: The Vikings have to love Peterson's approach but they need to slow down. If they are smart, Peterson won't play in the preseason or the first few regular-season games.

Turns out Peterson that was the smart one and the rest of us were foolish to use a line of thinking that assumed he was a mere mortal.

Peterson fell only 9 yards shy of breaking Eric Dickerson's single-season rushing record, helped generate enough offense to take the Vikings from a 3-13 finish in 2011 to 10-6 and a playoff berth in 2012 and on Saturday night was named the Most Valuable Player in the NFL.

Fifty sportswriters vote for the award, which is given out by the Associated Press and recognized by the league as its official MVP. Peterson, who also collected NFL Offensive Player of the Year honors, received the awards during the NFL's awards ceremony in New Orleans.

Peterson beat out Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, marking only the third time a Vikings players has been voted MVP by the Associated Press. Defensive tackle Alan Page won the honor in 1971 and quarterback Fran Tarkenton got it in 1975. Peterson and Manning were the only players to get votes.

Peterson was selected as the Bert Bell Professional Player of the Year award winner by the Maxwell Club last month. He also received that honor in 2008.

While there was plenty of debate throughout this season whether Peterson or Manning was more deserving of MVP honors, Peterson was the logical and obvious choice.

Manning returned this season after sitting out 2011 because of multiple neck surgeries. The Indianapolis Colts released Manning in March and he signed with the Broncos. Manning passed for 4,659 yards with 37 touchdowns, 11 interceptions and with a 105.8 passer rating as the Broncos won the AFC West with a 13-3 record.

That performance did land Manning Comeback Player of the Year honors and he was deserving considering he played after sustaining an injury that would have caused many to retire.

While the Broncos were substantially better with Manning, they also had made the playoffs in 2011 with Tim Tebow as their starter. Take Manning off this year's Broncos, give them a competent quarterback - not Tebow - and odds are good they would have been a playoff team.

Take Peterson off the Vikings roster, assume Toby Gerhart got the bulk of the carries, and then tell me how many games you think the Vikings would have won. Four, five, maybe six?

Anyway you want to define the term Most Valuable Player, Peterson qualifies as the choice. He was the Vikings' clear-cut star player and he helped get them into the playoffs.

If Peterson didn't have enough votes to win the award before the Vikings' regular-season finale on Dec. 30, then he certainly did after that game.

In a 37-34 victory over the Green Bay Packers that put the Vikings in the playoffs, Peterson rushed for 199 yards on 34 carries with a touchdown. Peterson had 10 games this season in which he rushed for more than 100 yards, including a stretch of eight in a row.

He rushed for more than 200 yards twice - the first time on Dec. 2 at Lambeau Field and the second on Dec. 16 at St. Louis - and became only the seventh player in NFL history to run for 2,000 yards in a season.

Peterson finished with 2,097 yards rushing on 348 carries, giving him an average of 6 yards per attempt, and 12 touchdowns. His rushing total was the second best in NFL history behind Dickerson's 2,105 yards in 1984 with the Los Angeles Rams.

Peterson would have broken Dickerson's mark but coach Leslie Frazier made sure his star rested a groin and abdomen injury with the Vikings comfortably ahead in the win at Houston.

Perhaps most impressive about Peterson was the fact he did not change his style of running one bit after suffering the knee injury on Dec. 24, 2011 at Washington.

Peterson remained an incredibly punishing runner - he led the NFL in rushing yards after contact, gaining 336 more than runner-up Doug Martin of Tampa Bay - and, if anything, else became more patient in waiting for his blocks to develop before attempting to hit holes.

Common sense would say Peterson will struggle to top his 2012 output in 2013. But when it comes to Peterson, we learned a valuable lesson this season. Attempting to apply logic when it comes to his game and what he does makes little sense.
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Z..._mistake020213

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    MVPeterson!!!!!

I'm really surprised too, all I can say is that a lot of these sports writers sure picked the right time to pull their heads out of their *****!

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash

well deserved

vCash
    It is very shocking but the only real choice if you actually follow football....The only other argument that could be made is for Rodgers and AP was better.... Pmanning getting the rest of the votes is a joke.

vCash
    For me there was no other choice. He was clearly the most deserving. Congrats AP!

vCash
    Not sure if some people are getting this, but it's not really that shocking.

vCash

yes yes
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    What a great day to be a Viking fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boms-4 View Post
    What a great day to be a Viking fan.
    Maybe not as good as beating the Packers in the playoffs in 04 or Favre's Hail Mary against the Niners, but it's still pretty good.

vCash
    Hell ya, Now he needs a ring!

vCash
    I'm glad for Peterson.

Down the road when his playing days are over this will really legitimize how special he was (is). I didn't quite fully grasp this until this season. I just thought he was good but not a great. I was wrong. What he did this season and his past seasons to start his career is just amazing looking back. He's rushed for more yards (5,782) in his first four seasons than all but five running backs in NFL history (1. Eric Dickerson 1983-86 | 6,968 - 2. Earl Campbell 1978-81 |6,457 - 3. Terrell Davis 1995-98 | 6,413 - 4. Clinton Portis 2002-05 | 5,930 - 5. LaDanian Tomlinson 2001-04 | 5,899). Some pretty good company there. He's also rushed for more touchdowns (52) than all but four. ( Terrell Davis 56 - T2. Eric Dickerson 55 - T2. Earl Campbell 55 - 4. LaDanian Tomlinson 54). It gives us some perspective on how the start of his career compares to the best who ever played the game. While stats can only quantify productivity what really measures how great Peterson is was what he did this year. Coming back from injury, carrying the team on his back (especially during the tough stretch in the second half after Harvin went down) To me that's what defines greatness. I hope before his career is over he can win at least one ring, bringing this franchise it's first Super Bowl, because he deserves all the credit he can get. I also think he has a legit shot to break Emmitt Smith's records. I just hope he's still a Viking and retires a Viking when he does. But regardless if he doesn't break any of the records and falls short of the Super Bowl he's already one of the greatest to ever play the game and a sure Hall of Famer.
    Last edited by HSmith22; 02-03-2013 at 02:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post
    I'm glad for Peterson.

Down the road when his playing days are over this will really legitimize how special he was (is). I didn't quite fully grasp this until this season. I just thought he was good but not a great. I was wrong. What he did this season and his past seasons to start his career is just amazing looking back. He's rushed for more yards (5,782) in his first four seasons than all but five running backs in NFL history (1. Eric Dickerson 1983-86 | 6,968 - 2. Earl Campbell 1978-81 |6,457 - 3. Terrell Davis 1995-98 | 6,413 - 4. Clinton Portis 2002-05 | 5,930 - 5. LaDanian Tomlinson 2001-04 | 5,899). Some pretty good company there. He's also rushed for more touchdowns (52) than all but four. ( Terrell Davis 56 - T2. Eric Dickerson 55 - T2. Earl Campbell 55 - 4. LaDanian Tomlinson 54). It gives us some perspective on how the start of his career compares to the best who ever played the game. While stats can only quantify productivity what really measures how great Peterson is was what he did this year. Coming back from injury, carrying the team on his back (especially during the tough stretch in the second half after Harvin went down) To me that's what defines greatness. I hope before his career is over he can win at least one ring, bringing this franchise it's first Super Bowl, because he deserves all the credit he can get. I also think he has a legit shot to break Emmitt Smith's records. I just hope he's still a Viking and retires a Viking when he does. But regardless if he doesn't break any of the records and falls short of the Super Bowl he's already one of the greatest to ever play the game and a sure Hall of Famer.
    Great numbers there, another thing that can be factored in there, we were pretty good at first but from arguably 2009 where he sort of took a back seat to Favre until this year, this team has had a pretty severe shortage of talent compared to what some of those other guys (Terrell Davis, Tomlinson) had to work with when you either look at our offensive line or our supporting cast on the rest of the offense (QB and WR), he really has more in common with Barry Sanders in that regard. AP really is something special though.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    ap ap ap ap

congrats!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast