Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Unlocking YOUR phone is illegal now ?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...e-illegal.html

" It’s a rite of passage to techies the world over: unlocking, or “jailbreaking,” a cell phone to make it usable on networks other than the one to which it was initially attached. But after Saturday, such an act—which can, for instance, make a Verizon iPhone compatible with the T-Mobile network—may be illegal. In October, the Library of Congress invalidated a copyright exemption for unlocking cell phones, but that exemption expires Saturday, leaving the door open to repercussions for such actions. Beginning today, consumers may receive warnings from carriers if they are found unlocking their device. For tech geeks, the word “jailbreak” just got a little more sinister"

This is ******** though. homies pay hundreds of dollars for a phone and can't do what they want with it ?The way I see it - I paid for it, I own it.What's next - networks selling TVs that can only be used to watch their channels ?

vCash
    They can blow me...When they pay for my phone they can tell me what to do. Until then I will do what I want with it.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    its been like that for a while...

vCash
    It's your property, you can do what you want to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    It's your property, you can do what you want to it.
    Not when you're altering proprietary technology/software. That's where this is an issue.

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    its been like that for a while...
    As far as I am concerned jailbreaking the phone voided its insurance, but it wasnt illegal.

KNICKS PATS SOX

vCash
    Haha. I'm pretty sure it is carrier unlock, not the jailbreaking you are thinking about. Basically, the new law is to prevent you to activate your phone from another carrier if:

1. You upgraded and using carrier's subsidized phone. You can't get it unlocked until you have satisfied the length of the contract.
    2. Stolen phones to be easily used with another network.

So yes, you can still get it unlock by calling the phone's original carrier. If you paid full retail price for the phone, i'm sure that it won't be problem at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^ESPN and PSD Agrees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekhelxD View Post
    Haha. I'm pretty sure it is carrier unlock, not the jailbreaking you are thinking about. Basically, the new law is to prevent you to activate your phone from another carrier if:

1. You upgraded and using carrier's subsidized phone. You can't get it unlocked until you have satisfied the length of the contract.
    2. Stolen phones to be easily used with another network.

So yes, you can still get it unlock by calling the phone's original carrier. If you paid full retail price for the phone, i'm sure that it won't be problem at all.
    If you pay full retail, but it is a phone exclusive to some carriers I would still think it would be illegal.

People that say it it their phone and they should be able to do whatever they want I think are failing to realize that they do no own the network. They are paying to use it and the owners of said network should be able to determine what devices can be used on it

"We the best in the league, Tony!"

vCash
    i used to have an ipod that was jailbreaked, my spanish high school teacher jailbreaked it for me lol.

the good old days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Not when you're altering proprietary technology/software. That's where this is an issue.
    Especially signing a contract with the carrier that gave you the phone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yaswaggin View Post
    i used to have an ipod that was jailbreaked, my spanish high school teacher jailbreaked it for me lol.

the good old days.
    jailbreaked? come on now

vCash
    Maybe that's why it's termed as jail break? Freedom to unlock!!!

vCash
    **** the phone companies.

vCash
    Samsung sells unlocked phones already.
    Trill Team
    Buckwheat-jpro611-Me-haggis-cheaptrikz-shammyguy3-Ezio-Cub_StuckinSTL-HOWE do i do it-ugafan-hugepatsfan-Fly-Raps08-09 Champ-Mane-humblehotgenius

vCash
    I had heard that Apple where really the only ones pushing this and then the service providers jumped in and wanted it among all phones.

Technically when you sign up for a two year agreement they still own the phone. That 400-600 dollar discount is just spread out throughout the two year deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast