Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All mlb team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
    Sale's WAR rate is comfortably higher, not slightly higher.

Votto's production the last 2 seasons has easily exceeded any 1B in the majors.
    How is Sale comfortably higher when we are talking about a .1 difference in rWAR for the whole season (Sale 5.7 to Dickey's 5.6) and a difference of .3 in fWAR (Sale's 4.9 to Dickey's 4.6)?

That's a slight difference.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I know Votto had the highest WAR but i still think there is something to him missing 51 games.

As for Dickey, both fWAR and rWAR favor Sale but Dickey belongs in his place imo.

Dickey had all those stats in his favor, not to mention they had similar K/9 rate (Dickey 8.9, Sale 9.0), the same HR/9 ratio, the same FIP (XFIP is unfair to knuckleballers to some extent because they naturally give up more home runs), and he also had 5 CGs and 3 shutouts to Sales 1 CG.

I'll take Dickey with all those stats in his favor, the similar ones, and the fact that he won the Cy Young award.
    Dickey > Sale
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    Wow! I was going to play along with this thread, but after reading that sig, I threw up. Excuse me while I go jump off a cliff.
    The sig's on point. Utley was an awesome player.

vCash
    Just type in WAR for pitchers, WAR for hitters, and WAR for relievers...not hard to see what he did
    Cliff Lee is TOP 5 in fWAR, and he's not on my ALL MLB LIST. Grienke and Darvish (not on my ALL MLB TEAM LIST) have a higher fWAR than Sale (who is on my ALL MLB TEAM LIST). McCutchen has the 3rd highest fWAR among OFs, and he;s not on my ALL MLB TEAM list.

So, no.
    through 09/03/2014...

2014 Giancarlo Stanton

138/138 G
    .295/86/36/102/10 | .410 wOBA | 163 wRC+ | 5.64 WPA | 5.9 fWAR | 6.4 rWAR

He's comin' for that title, Mike Trout

134/138 G
    .285/92/31/98/13 | .396 wOBA | 161 wRC+ | 5.51 WPA | 6.3 fWAR | 6.6 rWAR

vCash
    OK. Maybe a civil reply for once. Name a more important single stat in baseball for overall player's value...I'm waiting...
    Man, you are using WAR as in end all stat. Everyone on here will tell you that using ANY stat as an end all is extremely flawed. There is no single stat to tell you how good/great someone truly is. The best way, is to use as many stats as possible, both traditional and SABR.

Using just WAR to determine how great someone is, is as stupid as using RBI to determine how great a hitter is, or Wins to determine how great a starter is. You use as many stats as available.

For example. You try to say Utley is/was better than Sandberg. If that is true, especially considering Utley will never be the same, then that MUST mean Cano is better then both. Because CAREER WISE, Cano is/will be better then Utley. You see, its very easy to make ridiculous statements, because as of right now, at least until Cano's career is over, I would maybe still take Sandberg.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Cliff Lee is TOP 5 in fWAR, and he's not on my ALL MLB LIST. Grienke and Darvish (not on my ALL MLB TEAM LIST) have a higher fWAR than Sale (who is on my ALL MLB TEAM LIST). McCutchen has the 3rd highest fWAR among OFs, and he;s not on my ALL MLB TEAM list.

So, no.
    Cliff Lee is 9th in WAR, Greinke and Darvish or .2 WAR higher then SALE (basically zero) and Cutch is 7th overall is WAR. Just saying
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    WAR doesn't evaluate knuckle-ballers properly, there was a whole fangraphs piece on it. Dickey has been way more valuable over the last few years than WAR suggests.

vCash
    The same thing is going to happen the last time we had a Sandberg/Utley, and All Mlb debate. Jeffy will come in and Mariano Rivera the hell out of this thread

SWIDT?
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The sig's on point. Utley was an awesome player.
    Nobody is saying he wasn't. Utley had an awesome stretch, but overall better than Sandberg??
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Nobody is saying he wasn't. Utley had an awesome stretch, but overall better than Sandberg??
    Probably. The only thing holding him back is that Utley played less games, which is significant and makes your skepticism sensible. Part of being great is being great longer than everyone else.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 02-02-2013 at 06:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Probably. The only thing holding him back is that Utley played less games, which is significant and makes your skepticism sensible. Part of being great is being great longer than everyone else.
    The only thing that REALLY bothers me about Utley is the fact that out of ten years in the MLB, there have been 7 in which he was injured or didn't play "an entire season". I put that in quotations because I consider a full season 150+ games.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canefandynasty
    Name a more important single stat in baseball for overall player's value...I'm waiting...
    RBI, of course.

vCash
    Wow! I was going to play along with this thread, but after reading that sig, I threw up. Excuse me while I go jump off a cliff.
    That's how I feel when I think that Utley won't make the HOF

vCash
    Is that a sarcastic remark I see there? WAR is perhaps the most important single stat in all of baseball.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jokes and jokes and jokes

vCash
    As for Utley, you can't really punish him for having a degenerative knee condition and getting plunked on the hand one year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast