Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Nickey Maxwell Van Exel gets 60 years for murder

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...ar-term-murder

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime...ting-death.ece

Nickey Maxwell Van Exel, 22, received the punishment after his father wept on the witness stand and apologized to the family of the victim, Bradley Bassey Eyo. The same jury in Dallas County in North Texas found the younger Van Exel guilty of murder on Thursday.

Prosecutors had sought a capital murder conviction.

Nickey Van Exel fatally shot Eyo in December 2010 and dumped his body at Lake Ray Hubbard on the eastern outskirts of Dallas. His attorney had said the two were playing with a shotgun at Nickey Van Exel's Garland home and that Van Exel didn't know the gun was loaded.

Nick Van Excel, who played 13 seasons in the NBA including a stint with the Dallas Mavericks and is now a player development instructor for the Atlanta Hawks, testified about the happy times he and his son spent together, including with Eyo.

He recalled the time that he took his son and Eyo to a 2006 NBA Finals game in Miami between the Heat and the Mavericks.

"And they were about the only guys there cheering for the Dallas Mavericks," he said. "It's dangerous when you go to an arena cheering for the other team."

The elder Van Exel broke down at one point while speaking in court. He then apologized to Eyo's family.

"I'm really sorry to the Eyo family. Nobody should have to go through something like this. Nobody," he said, as he looked at Eyo's family members who were in the courtroom.
    They said the younger Van Exel shot his friend with a 12-gauge shotgun as retaliation because Eyo, 23, planned to “snitch” about robberies they committed together in Houston earlier in 2010. Eyo was charged in connection with the robberies, but Van Exel wasn’t because police lacked evidence against him.
    Eyo pleaded guilty and was expected to detail the crimes to Harris County authorities at a sentencing hearing. He died 10 days before that hearing.
    Update at 11:51 a.m.: Prosecutors apparently discovered this morning that a rap music video tribute to Nickey Van Exel was posted yesterday, the same day he was convicted of murder in the slaying of his friend.

There was some private discussion about the video among the attorneys, but it was not played for the jury during the ongoing punishment phase of the trial. It appears that within minutes of that discussion, the video was pulled off of YouTube.

The song contained a lot of explicit and potentially offensive language, so there isn’t a whole lot I can post here. But it railed against “snitching” on the stand and referenced the gang of which Van Exel is said to be a member. It included this opening:

I dedicate this to my brother

I swear life f—-d up and I feel like throwing in the towel

Cause I got a brother on a murder trial

I got a brother on a murder trial

And I may not see my brother for awhile
    Image of Van Exel in court:
    http://i.imgur.com/ISnLlwJ.jpg

I used to like the guy back when he played in LA, up until I found out all the crap hes done throughout his career but no one deserves this.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Sad news for Van Exel and the family of the murder victim.

Kind of makes you wonder how the son of a millionaire basketball player gets wrapped up in gangs and crime like that.

vCash
    ^^^ Good call. Just a sad story

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Sad news for Van Exel and the family of the murder victim.

Kind of makes you wonder how the son of a millionaire basketball player gets wrapped up in gangs and crime like that.
    I dont want to point any fingers but I never regarded Van Exel as a high character person, which means I question his parenting techniques. Im sure hes a stand up guy now, he seemed to mature during his playing days but I wonder if its a case of too little too late by that point.

I'll prbably come off presumptious but I freely admit I dont know jack **** about Nick.

vCash
    Sad story I feel for the murder victim and his family.
    Funny how some people can make a diss record about how they "homie" is in thejail like he's wrongly accused of something, yo "homie is a ****ing murderer and is right where he belongs, let that be yo friend, brother, or son that got killed and you wouldn't be saying that ********.

Let's get ready to Shiva!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    If you kill someone you should burn in hell.

vCash
    Props to Van Exel for testifying against his son.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STA_PLAR View Post
    Props to Van Exel for testifying against his son.
    I think he testified about the happy times they had together
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    Jimmer still being BLACK BALLED by the illuminati/homeboys...
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    If Jimmer were to be given free reign offensively, the team would basically quit on the organization out of jealousy and envy. The white man is the minority in this game and the black players will be damned if the white man shows him up at his own game. Similar situation happening with Kevin Love, the team has to surround him with foreigners and whites because black players won't succumb to the greatness that is Kevin Love.

vCash
    Guess he wasn't that quick ..... Jackazz!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oak2455 View Post
    Guess he wasn't that quick ..... Jackazz!!!!!!
    lol, took me about 8 seconds to get the reference. You will definitely fry in Hades

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    lol, took me about 8 seconds to get the reference. You will definitely fry in Hades
    Used to love his play now I'll just forget everything I loved about his game....this story is sad and pathetic

vCash
    Nick didn't kill the guy, his son is the killer. Why so much hate for Nick?

vCash
    Such a shame. Always liked Van Exel, heard he was a great guy, shame he had to go through this.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    Rough story. While I heard Van Exel was not a high character guy, its still surprising to me to see his kid get into that kind of lifestyle. A shame really, all the way around.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    "Nickey Maxwell Van Exel gets 60 years for murder"
    WTF? Thread title is misleading. This is the right title "Nickey Maxwell Van Exel's son gets 60 years for murder"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast