Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Gay wanted out of Memphis

Why the Grizzlies Traded Rudy Gay Now
    Why didnít the Memphis Grizzlies wait until after the season to trade Rudy Gay? Thatís one of the biggest questions being asked after the Grizzlies decided to trade Gay to the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday evening. They were already out of luxury tax territory after trading Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby to the Cleveland Cavaliers so why not wait and give their core group one more postseason to try to contend in the Western Conference? While thatís a fair question, the answer is simple: Gay had grown unhappy with the situation in Memphis and it was time for both parties to move on.Grizzlies brass had met with Gay last weekend and the small forward made it clear that he would welcome a trade.

Gay was also tired of hiding his frustration. While players like Mike Conley made it clear that they didnít want management to make a trade and would be upset to see the team broken up, Gay didnít seem like he cared what happened before the deadline. If the Grizzlies traded him, thatíd be fine with him. Last week prior to the Grizzliesí game against the Los Angeles Lakers, Gay was asked if he thought the front office would keep the teamís core together. He used this opportunity to voice his frustration and take a shot at management.

ďIt really doesnít matter what they think about us,Ē Gay said of Memphisí front office last week. ďItís all about whatís in the locker room and what we think we can do. It really doesnít matter what they think.Ē
    Gay was sick of the trade rumors. He was tired of seeing his name surface in report after report.

For quite awhile, Gay had told people in his inner circle that he would welcome a trade from Memphis. Last offseason, he reached out to several players on teams that were pursuing him to discuss the possibility of playing together. Gay was never too fond of Memphis. He seriously considered leaving when he became a free agent in 2010, but he couldnít turn down a maximum extension. Gay signed for the money, not because he was attached or in love with Memphis.

Also, the Grizzlies were concerned that if they waited until the offseason to trade Gay, he would be able to hold the team hostage since he has a player option for the 2014-15 season. If Gay decided he was going to opt out of the final $19,317,326 of his contract to sign a new long-term deal, he would have some control over where he landed since he could scare teams off by refusing to make a long-term commitment. The Grizzlies didnít want this situation to mirror what the Denver Nuggets had to go through when they traded Carmelo Anthony. Anthony was in the final year of his contract and he refused to commit long-term to any team other than the New York Knicks, which left Denver with limited options.

Another aspect that has been overlooked is Gayís shaky relationship with Zach Randolph. Behind the scenes, Gay and Randolph had butted heads for quite awhile. While Gay and Randolph tolerated each other, they werenít close and had several spats over the years.

There were a lot of things happening behind the scenes that forced the Grizzliesí hand. Gay was already upset with the trade rumors and delaying the inevitable would have made things worse, especially considering their options couldíve been severely limited if Gay played his cards right. Not to mention, Gay and Randolph had butted heads, so itís not like the Grizzlies broke up a perfect team that was guaranteed to make a deep postseason run. This was a dysfunctional situation.Now, the Grizzlies not only shed some salary, but they also acquired Tayshaun Prince, who is a good fit in Memphis, as well as a very promising young player in Ed Davis.

This was the right time to trade Gay, even if it seemed questionable from the outside looking in.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-pho...iuCJAJT4K8l.99
    [CENTER]

vCash
    I feel bad for him.

It pisses me off when teams try to desperately trade away their star players who are classy guys who do so much for the community and on the court. It must be annoying to always hear trade rumors about you.

It happens with Amare when he was in PHX, it happened with Igoudala in Philly and now it happened with Gay.

vCash
    Prince was a good pick up for y'all. I like the trade considering Gay wanted out.

she says go for the championship

vCash
    Gay butted heads.

vCash
    Worked out well for the Raptors

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Hes ina perfect situation, a lot of people think rudy and demar wont compliment because of similar styles but you're wrong! Derozan was the only main offensive threat on this team. You put one good defender on him, and the team is done. Now that there are at least 2 guys + lowry who can create their own shot, the defense will be less on derozan, and it will open up his game even more. Let him knock down the 3 ball, and watch out. They can definitely co-exist.
    [CENTER]

vCash
    Either way, whether he wanted out or not, great trade for the Grizzlies. Rudy is being paid like a max player, but is not even close to being one.

NYK
    NYY
    STJ
    BIG D
    NYR
    JUVE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAtheist View Post
    Who'd want to play for Memphis anyways? Toronto is bigger and better. Although I have to admit i'm kinda disappointed with this trade because it likely means raps won't get wiggins now (unless bargs can get an unprotected first for them) he's the guy that would have turned Toronto into a basketball town.
    The chances of us getting Wiggins was slim even before the Rudy trade. At least now we have a sure talent at the SF position instead of hoping for a miracle to happen.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    the nba should give wiggins to Toronto, but that wont happened. He'll likely end up with Washington, phoenix, or Orlando
    [CENTER]

vCash
    You could tell the guy wasn't happy. You could totally see it in his body language and demeanor on the court. They were probably a first round exit again with Gay. He totally wasn't worth that contract IMO. Decent athletic player with much potential, but he wasn't going to grow anymore with the Grizz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedTofuz View Post
    Hes ina perfect situation, a lot of people think rudy and demar wont compliment because of similar styles but you're wrong! Derozan was the only main offensive threat on this team. You put one good defender on him, and the team is done. Now that there are at least 2 guys + lowry who can create their own shot, the defense will be less on derozan, and it will open up his game even more. Let him knock down the 3 ball, and watch out. They can definitely co-exist.
    Kyle Lowry?
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

vCash
    Good for Rudy. And Memphis. Works out for both parties

vCash
    Well its official, Memphis won the trade because keeping him would have left them in shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I feel bad for him.

It pisses me off when teams try to desperately trade away their star players who are classy guys who do so much for the community and on the court. It must be annoying to always hear trade rumors about you.

It happens with Amare when he was in PHX, it happened with Igoudala in Philly and now it happened with Gay.
    Is Gay a great embassador for the Grizz and its community? I think I heard about Z-Bo but I dont know much about Gay off the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi~TwnHawksFan View Post
    Kyle Lowry?
    Wat?
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Who'd want to play for Memphis anyways? Toronto is bigger and better. Although I have to admit i'm kinda disappointed with this trade because it likely means raps won't get wiggins now (unless bargs can get an unprotected first for them) he's the guy that would have turned Toronto into a basketball town.

Quote Originally Posted by DreDrum#1 View Post
    This is where nba experts are find SVG's worth and the Pistons seed projection: 11th in the east. Like i said: SVG hasnt done $h!t

http://www.freep.com/videonetwork/3679829820001

vCash
    meant as a package not straight up
    don't worry about rocket...hes too immature and has no passion for this game

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast