Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Tony Gonzalez re-signs | 2 years-$14M ($7M guaranteed)

Figured we should keep a thread with all rumors/news since this will be a long process

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that Roddy White and the Falcons are planning a "Brett Favre strategy" with free agent Tony Gonzalez, who was leaning toward retirement late in the season.

"Roddy White today revealed that they plan the Brett Favre strategy with the Vikings," said Mort. "Which is, go to California where Tony lives, recruit him, get him on a plane, and drag him back to Atlanta eventually." Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff is adamant that he wants Gonzalez back for his age-37 season. Gonzalez has plenty of gas left in the tank and the Falcons will return as Super Bowl contenders. We wouldn't be surprised if Gonzo is lured back.
    Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff said Thursday that he is lobbying hard to convince Tony Gonzalez to return in 2013, but said there is no deadline for a decision.

"A guy who is 36 catching 100-plus balls, it just doesn't seem like it's time for him to move on," Dimitroff said. "It's not going to be an easy decision for him one way or another because he knows that he still has fuel in the tank and it's very legitimate fuel in the tank." Dimitroff said he would like to know Gonzalez's decision sooner rather than later. The Falcons will need to sign the soon-to-be 37-year-old to a new contract if he does return, which still seems unlikely. Jan 31 - 6:12 PM
    rotoworld

vCash
    I'd like him back, but I'm not into kissing any player's ***. Begging Favre didn't work out so well for the Vikings.

vCash
    I'd love to have him back. It could possibly free up a 1st/2nd round pick to focus more on D and getting a value pick for a TE with promise to learn from TG later on. I've seen the reports from those thinking our offense would open up more without TG and us having a TE that can get down the seam, but I still think there is no replacing him in the red zone. He and Matt Ryan have great chemistry and all but perfected that jump ball towards the back of the end zone that TG came falling down with so many times. TD seems to have some faith in Coffman. Maybe they get TG back and mentor Coffman and we go TE early next year. Not sure how I feel about that, but it's a possiblility

vCash
    Falcons coach Mike Smith reiterated Wednesday there's "no timetable" for free agent Tony Gonzalez to reach a decision on his NFL future.

"I don’t that there is anything concrete in terms of a timetable," Smith said. "But I think that conversation will take place. I had a conversation with him the week after the season and we’ll probably have another here real soon." ESPN's Chris Mortensen recently reported the Falcons were planning a "Brett Favre strategy" with Gonzalez — i.e., persistent, desperate pleas from his teammates to return — but Smith insists he won't place "any additional pressure" on the future Hall-of-Famer. Gonzalez made it clear near the end of 2012 he was ready to hang it up, but a few months of reflection may lead him to realize he's still playing at too high of a level to call it quits.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff believes "it's a lot closer to 50/50" that Tony Gonzalez returns.

"I don’t believe, not stating that he would be lying to anyone, but I don’t believe the 95 percent," Dimitroff said on Pro Football Talk. "I want to believe it’s a lot closer to 50/50, to be honest with you, and we've had discussions." Dimitroff added that when the personnel staff reviews the 2013 roster, Gonzalez's name has stayed on it. The tide is starting to change, and it's looking more and more likely that Gonzo may try to make another run with Atlanta at a Super Bowl. He'll have to sign a new contract to do so, though, as he's a free agent. It shouldn't be a major hurdle.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Profootballtalk.com wouldn't be "shocked" if teams other than the Falcons reach out to free agent Tony Gonzalez.

Neither would we, but it would be shocking if Gonzalez considered signing with anyone else. Within reason, Gonzalez will be allowed to name his price in Atlanta, and knows firsthand the Falcons are a Super Bowl-quality team. The tea leaves are beginning to suggest Gonzalez will sign up for one more ride, and it won't be anywhere other than Atlanta.
    rotoworld

vCash
    Anyone think he'll decide before March 12th? That's the date Free Agency begins.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I doubt it. I see him deciding shortly after if we do/do not go for a TE.

vCash
    SI's Peter King believes free agent Tony Gonzalez could be "feeling out his TV opportunities" before deciding whether or not to re-sign with the Falcons.

Smooth and insightful during interviews, Gonzalez will surely draw interest as an analyst, so the Falcons are in trouble if King is correct. However, King believes the situation is "fluid," and that Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff saying it's "50-50" his tight end returns was a "significant step" toward Gonzalez signing up for one last ride. We believe Gonzalez ultimately decides in favor of one last run toward the Super Bowl.
    rotoworld

I would watch any pre-game show if he were on it. He is one of my favorites in interviews. Even when he was a Chief I always thought he was pretty funny and he is certainly charismatic. He's the anti-Ryan.

vCash
    I wouldn't be mad. I appreciate everything Gonzo's done for this team, but it's his decision and the guy was born to do TV. To be honest, he might have as much of a case to get his number in the Ring of Honor as Deion did.

vCash
    I don't think the Ring of Honor is out of the question. Atlanta has had some true all-time greats [Contrary to what Hall of Fame voters think] but offensive skill players are a bit lacking and Gonzalez was utterly dominant while he was here.

vCash
    Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez made it clear all season that he was 95 percent sure he would be retiring after 16 years in the NFL. But last week, it was reported that there was no timetable for his decision, and now, according to ESPN's Ed Werder, Gonzalez is wavering.

“I think if the circumstances are right,” a player close to Gonzalez told Werder, “Tony will come back.”

None of this should be a surprise. Gonzalez clearly wanted to win a Super Bowl title (or at least, play in a Super Bowl), and that dream ended when the 49ers beat the Falcons in the playoffs. Even though Gonzalez ticked up his chances of retirement to 97 percent in January, losing to San Francisco might have changed his mind.

As one would have imagined.

Mostly because Gonzalez is still a top-five tight end -- even at 36 years old. In 2012, he caught 93 passes for 930 yards and eight touchdowns. He's still one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in Atlanta, and knowing that, here's what general manager Thomas Dimitroff said recently:

“A guy who is 36, catching 100-plus balls, it just doesn't seem like it's time for him to move on. Tony's a man and he's got to make his own decision. Suffice to say, it's not going to be easy one way or another because he knows that he still has fuel in the tank, and it's very legitimate fuel in the tank."

Dimitroff isn't the only one who thinks so.

According to Werder (via NFL.com), “I'm told virtually everyone in the Falcons' organization has been campaigning for Gonzalez to make one more Super Bowl run. And I'm told that he's beginning to waver. The people who have spoken to him seem to believe that they're making progress.”
    Source

vCash
    Come on Tony. One more year brother!

vCash
    i hope he comes back
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Said he could come back with a 2 million $ pay raise and if he can skip training camp. I think we need that cap.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast