Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Let's put it like this. Not that there is a formula to a championship but the recent champs:

2012 - Miami Heat (Wade, Bosh, LeBron)
    2011 - Dallas Mavericks (Nowitzki, Chandler, Kidd, Terry)
    2010 - Lakers (Bynum, Bryant, Gasol, Odom)
    2009 - Lakers(Bynum, Bryant, Gasol, Odom)
    2008 - Celtics (Rondo, Pierce, Garnett, Allen)

The Bold are players drafted or in some cases (Nowitzki) a draft pick was traded for the right to pick him etc.

Obviously those lineups are different than a

J-Val
    , Gasol, Gay, Derozan, Lowry

but when you accumulate top talent and have draft picks, young players and expiring contracts... you can build a championship team by a few small trades. Techincally we would buy low on Gasol as we did Gay. If they perform like they can we may have an awesome team or they can be flipped for some role players and potential top 5 draft picks.

At least we know management is trying and realizing 5 years of mediocre ball isnt going to help.

13-3 UNDERDOGS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    And that is why it is a crapshoot. Lets look at the last few drafts not including the last draft.

2009 draft

1st pick Clippers: Blake Griffin (were a lottery team before Chris Paul trade)
    2nd pick Grizzlies: Hasheem Thabeet (Bust)
    3rd pick Thunder: James Harden (already had a superstar in Durant)
    4th pick Kings: Tyreke Evans (Still in the lottery)
    5th pick T'Wolves: Ricky Rubio (Still in the lottery)

2010 draft

1st pick Wizards: John Wall (still in the lottery)
    2nd pick 76'ers: Evan Turner (still in the lottery, borderline playoff team)
    3rd pick Nets: Derrick Favors (Nets have been bad till this year until they signed key free agents and trades)
    4th pick T'Wolves: Wesley Johnson (Bust, Still in the lottery)
    5th pick Kings: Demarcus Cousins (Still in the lottery)

2011 draft

1st pick Cavs: Kyrie Irving (Still in the lottery)
    2nd pick T'Wolves: Derrick Williams (Still in the lottery)
    3rd pick Utah: Ernas Kanter (Border line playoff team)
    4th pick Cavs: Tristan Thompson (Still lottery team)
    5th pick Raptors: Jonas Valanciunas (Still in the lottery)

Unless you are getting the 1st pick, which is far from guaranteed it is a complete crapshoot.

The only teams that are in the playoffs now excluding the Thunder (Nets, Clippers) made key trades to get them where they are now. Memphis built through the draft but thats because they have to due to financial limitations, now they can't even keep their players because eventually you have to pay them.
    Throw Golden State in there.

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    And aren't you taking a very small timeframe? Nobody develops a contender in 3 years. OKC didn't even do it that quickly.

All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    Throw Golden State in there.
    That just proves more to my point, G-State didn't even get a top 5 pick in any of those drafts yet they have drafted well in the spots they were in. They also made key free agent acquisitions (David Lee, Carl Landry) & trades (Bogut)

vCash
    And aren't you taking a very small timeframe? Nobody develops a contender in 3 years. OKC didn't even do it that quickly.
    OKC seems to be the only team people try to make the argument. That is one team out of the whole league, they are very unique, they were lucky enough to draft a once in a decade type player while adding other top draft picks.

OKC and San Antonio are the only two examples, and they both got extremely lucky drafting Durant & Duncan.

vCash
    OKC seems to be the only team people try to make the argument. That is one team out of the whole league, they are very unique, they were lucky enough to draft a once in a decade type player while adding other top draft picks.

OKC and San Antonio are the only two examples, and they both got extremely lucky drafting Durant & Duncan.
    Ok, what about Chicago?

vCash
    People complain about being a lottery team for consecutive years then call for the GM's head, then call for the GM's head when he makes a trade to get us out of the lottery because they want a top draft pick.

It really just how hard being a GM is, it is literally impossible to please everyone.

vCash
    People complain about being a lottery team for consecutive years then call for the GM's head, then call for the GM's head when he makes a trade to get us out of the lottery because they want a top draft pick.

It really just how hard being a GM is, it is literally impossible to please everyone.
    I think that's why people are critical of this trade. That this trade may not get the Raptors out of the lottery at all.

vCash
    And that is why it is a crapshoot. Lets look at the last few drafts not including the last draft.

2009 draft

1st pick Clippers: Blake Griffin (were a lottery team before Chris Paul trade)
    2nd pick Grizzlies: Hasheem Thabeet (Bust)
    3rd pick Thunder: James Harden (already had a superstar in Durant)
    4th pick Kings: Tyreke Evans (Still in the lottery)
    5th pick T'Wolves: Ricky Rubio (Still in the lottery)

2010 draft

1st pick Wizards: John Wall (still in the lottery)
    2nd pick 76'ers: Evan Turner (still in the lottery, borderline playoff team)
    3rd pick Nets: Derrick Favors (Nets have been bad till this year until they signed key free agents and trades)
    4th pick T'Wolves: Wesley Johnson (Bust, Still in the lottery)
    5th pick Kings: Demarcus Cousins (Still in the lottery)

2011 draft

1st pick Cavs: Kyrie Irving (Still in the lottery)
    2nd pick T'Wolves: Derrick Williams (Still in the lottery)
    3rd pick Utah: Ernas Kanter (Border line playoff team)
    4th pick Cavs: Tristan Thompson (Still lottery team)
    5th pick Raptors: Jonas Valanciunas (Still in the lottery)

Unless you are getting the 1st pick, which is far from guaranteed it is a complete crapshoot.

The only teams that are in the playoffs now excluding the Thunder (Nets, Clippers) made key trades to get them where they are now. Memphis built through the draft but thats because they have to due to financial limitations, now they can't even keep their players because eventually you have to pay them.

If Presti, Buford, Nelson, Morey or even Bryan had those picks, none of those teams would be as bad as they are right now. Lottery teams are lottery teams for a reason, sometimes it's not a lack of talent, it's often a mismanagement of talent.

Bryan has the skill to draft good players, he just doesn't have the patience to follow through.

vCash
    I don't think gasol would fit this team well at all....we have a very athletic team who excell at running the floor and not really in a half court set
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 02-02-2013 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzo400 View Post
    Damn forgot about that. Well then just throw in Derozan and Bargnani lol
    are you kidding me....derozan is untouchable

vCash
    I'm with Tmath on this for sure, build through the draft is pretty damn hard, even if you tank and finally get that piece like a Durant or LBJ which come around once every 5-10 years you need to build like crazy around them before everyone say there wasting away and should move on.
    I like BC's approach get as much talent as you can and upgrade through trades buying low on guys and selling guys on there max value.
    Boston is good example Paul Pierce was never looked at as the guy same with Rondo at all both guys picked in the 8 and beyond range then Boston built assets nothing real great and traded for a star in Garnett and then it was easy to sign a FA like Ray Allen and boom title that year. I'd put my money on a situation like that before I would with tank for years until we land some stud who stays with us long enough to lead a team to a title.
    Plus you don't have to torment your fan base with years of losing.

vCash
    Ok, what about Chicago?
    They got "lucky" going from 9th to 1st to win the lottery who ended up to be Derrick Rose the home town kid, they also have a very good coach with players that fit his style.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I don't think gasol would fit this team well at all....we have a very athletic team who excell at running the floor and not really in a half court set
    well need a big who can score in the low post with some consistency. we need half court players as well considering that the playoffs are al about half court basketball. Don't get me wrong but Gasol would be a nice fit. he's a great passing big and he anchors the floor in terms of half court play stability.

only caveat, bum knees, back, and 32 years old. and a huge salary. Couldn't say the same with the Rudy Gay trade cept the contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    are you kidding me....derozan is untouchable
    Maybe, but he shouldn't be.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast