Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

2013 NFL Draft Preview - Offensive Line

Here is the first in a series of position review for the upcoming draft. Each week, I will submit another position leading up to the draft. I will review the perceived top players at the position in alphabetic order. This assumes that the team has no changes to the current roster either via cut or FA acquisition (although, it's fun to talk about that!)

so, let's start with the Cowboys biggest need, Offensive Line.

Anything underlined is a link to the player.

Cooper, Jonathan OG, Noth Carolina
    Tale of the Tape: 6'3", 310, rSr
    Review: Has the size and athleticism to get drafted in the first round. His size would fit nicely into the interior of the line and his mobility would be a plus if the game plan calls for misdirection and guards pulling a lot. An intriguing draft prospect.
    Probabality that he wears the star: 10%. He should be around when the Cowboys draft at 18. But, he also would likely be around later in the first round. A trade-down by the cowboys could still see them drafting this guy later in round 1.
    Likely landing spot: Chicago

Fisher, Eric OT, Central Michigan
    Tale of the tape: 6'7", 305, Sr
    Review: This guy has flown into consideration for top 10 range. He looked good in the prep week for the Senior Bowl.
    Probability he wears the star: 10%; if he were a guard, his % would be higher. I can't see the Cowboys taking another Tackle in the first round, but stranger things have happened
    Likely landing spot: Arizona (they need a QB more, but no one worth their 7th overall)

Fluker, DJ OT, Alabama
    Tale of the tape: 6'6", 335, rJr
    Review: A big boy at 335 pounds and played for one of the best OL's in CFB (maybe ever); he is a strong run blocker and could get moved, in the nfl to OG based on his size and ability to run block;
    Probability he wears the star: 15%; this if the Cowboys see him at guard, then they could have him high on their board
    Likely landing spot: Dolphins

Joeckel, Luke OT, Texas A&M
    Tale of the tape: 6'6", 310, Jr
    Review: Joeckel is a difference maker, just ask the Heisman winner. He could be the best player on draft day but the chiefs could lean more towards a QB than an OT. He can anchor a line for 10+ years if he stays healthy.
    Probability he wears the star: As close to 0% as you can have without something ridiculous happening.
    Likely landing spot: if no trade up by some team, Philadelphia

Johnson, Lane OT, Oklahoma
    Tale of the tape: 6'6", 303, Sr
    Review: Good footwork and long; needs to work on strength
    Probability he wears the star: 5%, he doesn't project to anything but OT, and the Cowboys not likely to go after him
    Likely landing spot: Rams

Jones, Barrett OC, Alabama
    Tale of the tape: 6'4", 305, rSr
    Review: shouldn't go in the first round; is the best center on the board and should go in the 2nd round; feisty, good leader-type for the Oline
    Probability he wears the star: 0% in first round; if available in the 2nd round, could be their selection based on what they do with their first pick
    Likely landing spot: TBD

Warmack, Chance OG, Alabama
    Tale of the tape: 6'2", 322, Sr
    Review: He gets top 10 grades, but teams don't like to draft Guards in the Top 10.
    Probability he wears the star: 40%, if he is there @ #18, the Cowboys take him, IMO;
    Likely landing spot: Dallas, if he is there; likely goes earlier to New Orleans or evern earlier to the Jets or Titans

Others of note (had to be in top 100 list other than center):

OC: Cave, Braxton, Frederick, Travis, Holmes, Khaled, Schwenke, Brian
    OG: Bailey, Alvin, Warford, Larry
    OT: Aboushi, Oday OT, Virginia, Bakhtiari, David, Faulk, Chris, Long, Kyle, Pugh, Justin, Thomas, Dallas, Watson, Menelik

What say you? Discuss.

NFL Draft Preview - Defensive Line
    NFL Draft Preview - Defensive Backs
    NFL Draft Preview - Skill Players
    Last edited by Fred; 02-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.

vCash
    Draft Tracker-OLine.xls

All...I have been playing around and have put together the entire list of the OLine draft prospects. They are in an excel link here. If you can open Microsoft Excel, then this is my current list of OLine. This is certainly subject to change based on how players at all position do during the all star games, combine, etc. Once I have more info, I will add it in. There are links to most players that will go to CBS.com with their preview.

SORRY - WORKING ON GETTING THIS LINK TO OPEN PROPERLY!

Draft Tracker-OLine.pdf
    Last edited by Fred; 02-03-2013 at 11:01 AM.

vCash
    i personally, if we spend a 1st, would rather take a tackle. smith is set at LT, and free, IMO, was the worse person on our line.

he should be cut to. i would like to find his replacement. Also, IMO, tackle is of higher value then guard. ( now, if the guard is head and shoulders better, im not saying take the tackle instead. But i am saying, if the talent is close, id lean toward taking a tackle.

also, what we do in free agency will have a huge bairing on what we do in the draft... ( i think.. lol.. you would have thought last years signing of carr would prevent us from taking cb in draft, but hey, what do i know.. it sure did work out in our favor, imo.)

vCash
    you see, that's just it for me....last year, we signed the FA cornberback and THEN went out and got arguably the best defensive player on the board..we focused entirely on CB and now we are set...I think (and have said numerous times) that they use the same thought process to make the line better...get the best FA OL available and then use the 1st round pick on that position.

I am actually starting to like the sound of Fluker as a guard...the guy is massive and has played OT @ Alabama...he could be brought in to compete at both positions

vCash
    Thanks for this Fred. Look forward to seeing the other positions.

vCash
    Would you guys rather have Warmack/Cooper playing LG next to T. Smith for the next 10 years or have nice bookends with Smith and Fisher at the tackle spot for the next 10 years?

vCash
    The 4 guys that I love from the OLine in this draft are Fisher, Fluker, Joeckel, and Warmack...I personally would be VERY happy if we drafted any one of them in the first round. Joeckel won't be there and likely Fisher is gone by the time we draft as well, but the other two might be there...just maybe....I like Cooper as well, but not like the 4 that I mentioned

vCash
    If we don't sign any OL in free agency i think we should got OL with the 1st 2 picks because fixing the line should be our #1 priority. Look at the teams who made the playoffs and rookie QB's who had good seasons, notice all had good-great Ol play.
    Johnathan cooper should be #1 if Warmack is gone
    #2 should be Barrett Jones or Dj Flucker
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    If we don't sign any OL in free agency i think we should got OL with the 1st 2 picks because fixing the line should be our #1 priority. Look at the teams who made the playoffs and rookie QB's who had good seasons, notice all had good-great Ol play.
    Johnathan cooper should be #1 if Warmack is gone
    #2 should be Barrett Jones or Dj Flucker
    I agree 99 percent with ya. oline should be number 1 priority...

however, if there is a super stud defensive lineman, i wouldnt be totally opposed to going that route either..

remember the giants, and what they accomplished with there dline..

oline, dline..
    with oline getting nod for me, but if dlineman available that is head and shoulders better, then take him. if about the same, go oline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    I agree 99 percent with ya. oline should be number 1 priority...

however, if there is a super stud defensive lineman, i wouldnt be totally opposed to going that route either..

remember the giants, and what they accomplished with there dline..
    I wouldn't mind seeing us take DJ Flucker and Larry Warford and move Flucker to Guard . that would give us the look of the old cowboys big run blockers at guard who can stop the rush.... going into the season we have like 5 people on the Dline and i'm personally really high on Lissemore.

Hatcher/Ratliff starting at DT and maybe spears can dominate back at DT like he did in college and this is what I wanna see most if we keep him on the team.

Ware/Lissmore should be our starting DE's if we lose Spencer and Crawford should back them up
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknell View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing us take DJ Flucker and Larry Warford and move Flucker to Guard . that would give us the look of the old cowboys big run blockers at guard who can stop the rush.... going into the season we have like 5 people on the Dline and i'm personally really high on Lissemore.

Hatcher/Ratliff starting at DT and maybe spears can dominate back at DT like he did in college and this is what I wanna see most if we keep him on the team.

Ware/Lissmore should be our starting DE's if we lose Spencer and Crawford should back them up
    i want a better rotation with more depth. it be nice to have a good, deep dline, that we can rotate and deep fresh.. Plus, based on the past, im sure ratliff, and a couple others will miss 4-6 games next year...

not to mention, because of behavior, AND WE ARE IN CAP HELL, spears, and ratliff maybe gone.

( not going back to the dui ratliff had, but before that ever happened, because of his injuries, age, and salary, he was already speculated to be possible cap casualty)

if we can rotate every quarter, or what not, and everyone stays fresh, think of the chaos they could create in the 4th quarter...

but, dont get me wrong, im with ya on fixing the oline 1st. IMO, the problem is RT. if we get a DECENT RT, our line will be 50% better.

i mean, omg, free was effin bad. ( and that doesnt mean i dont want to upgrade other spots either, just RT is a complete embarressment. )

i just think if a great dlineman falls, and then we have a good guard there, and we have the dlineman rated alot better then guard/RT, i would take dlineman. but if there close in talent, by all means, lets go oline instead.

vCash
    I would like a to see us trade down for OG Jonathan Cooper and trade up for OC Barrett Jones. Let those guys battle who we have in now for positions. We need to not just be good on O-line but great to make a run.

Cooper, Jonathan OG, Noth Carolina
    Tale of the Tape: 6'3", 310, rSr
    Review: Has the size and athleticism to get drafted in the first round. His size would fit nicely into the interior of the line and his mobility would be a plus if the game plan calls for misdirection and guards pulling a lot. An intriguing draft prospect.
    Probabality that he wears the star: 10%. He should be around when the Cowboys draft at 18. But, he also would likely be around later in the first round. A trade-down by the cowboys could still see them drafting this guy later in round 1.
    Likely landing spot: Chicago
    Jones, Barrett OC, Alabama
    Tale of the tape: 6'4", 305, rSr
    Review: shouldn't go in the first round; is the best center on the board and should go in the 2nd round; feisty, good leader-type for the Oline
    Probability he wears the star: 0% in first round; if available in the 2nd round, could be their selection based on what they do with their first pick
    Likely landing spot: TBD

vCash
    I like some of what I read above about taking a top D-line prospect if he fell above o-line. The reason I say this is that this years draft is very deep with o-line talent and we could get a starter in the 2nd and 3rd rd. I don't think trading down a few spots into the mid 20's and picking up an extra 2 or 3 would be a bad idea either. We need o-line help d-line rb and s, and that's not ruling out picking up a possible qb to replace Romo when the time comes.

There's a few prospects that could be there in rd. 3 due to experience that may be studs in a few years such as Long. We may also be able to grab Landry Jones in rd. 3 no to say that's the direction we're going but anythings possible.
    Last edited by The manster; 02-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The manster View Post
    I like some of what I read above about taking a top D-line prospect if he fell above o-line. The reason I say this is that this years draft is very deep with o-line talent and we could get a starter in the 2nd and 3rd rd. I don't think trading down a few spots into the mid 20's and picking up an extra 2 or 3 would be a bad idea either. We need o-line help d-line rb and s, and that's not ruling out picking up a possible qb to replace Romo when the time comes.

There's a few prospects that could be there in rd. 3 due to experience that may be studs in a few years such as Long. We may also be able to grab Landry Jones in rd. 3 no to say that's the direction we're going but anythings possible.
    Sorry but Landry Jones is ***** terrible.

As far as the thread goes, I agree Oline, but if you can address on spot via FA, and roll the dice that a DT will be there at 18 like a Richardson, you take the DT over OL and then possible trade back up for the above mentioned player out of Bama.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-06-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: don't dodge the filter!

vCash
    Top 5 OL from Broaddus

More on the OL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast