Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Sample Size Grows (DeRozan)

I want to divert the focus away from Rudy Gay for the moment and explore something I've been pointing out in the game threads over the past couple weeks.

DeMar DeRozan has been passing the ball very well and it is bringing much more consistency to his game.

In the past 6 games, DeRozan has had 4 games with 7 assists or more. With one game amassing 9 assists. Over that period, his scoring has been very consistent, averaging 18.7 points per game and his FG efficiency is also much more respectable 47%.

Is DeRozan learning to making better basketball plays?

Over his career, prior to this season, DeRozan had 1 game in which he has been able to dish out 7 assists. He also only had one other game where he was able to amass 6 assists. He hasn't even been able to dish up to 5 assists more than a couple times either. In 222 games over 3 seasons, clearly strong passing games from DeMar have been the outlier result. But over the past 6 games there has been DRASTIC improvement.

While 6 games is a small sample size in and of itself, it is quite a large sample size relative to DeMar DeRozan's career. What do you think? Will the sample size continue to grow?

vCash
    It's a great thread idea. Don't know the answer but whoever decided to diversify DDs game is brilliant. It changes the dynamic of the team drastically when you have a wing player able to create opportunities like that for his teammates.

vCash
    I can see it only getting better now with Gay on the floor, I've been able to see the improvement all year without the need of some Stat guy telling me he hasn't. The poor guy gets no respect from the zebra's and needs to work on the ball handling but the shot is almost automatic now and assist, rebounding and defence have all improved.

vCash
    DeMagic DeRohnson?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    I am one of the hardest critics of DD's games and I am being misunderstood as a hater by some although I admit that I once took it to the extreme.

However it is still too small of a sample size to say that his court awareness and passing ability has improved. But the fact of the matter is that with Gay's presence there is a huge possibility that he may reach to new heights especially this specific facet of his game.

He still has a long ways to go in terms of his ball handling/defense and long range efficiency, all ingredients for him to be a legit starting SG.

In my case, the jury is still out. I don't flip flop on my views and I always stand by it. I hope having Gay playing alongside him may fast track the change of my perspective.

vCash
    Kobe told him. But for real you gotta love it. It makes his game more fluid. He isn't rushing shots or forcing the play.

vCash
    Peblomer, this comment is not directed at you or your post. People are crazy to think a 23yo with potential can get better . Too many people are looking to hate on these players & be right in their words, than to see things for what it is.

I see you notice this with DeRozan but it's not him alone, the entire team is learning the value of sharing the ball. Amir too has been recently displaying an ability to pass, displaying good court vision.

It's not a novel idea, can't have a good motion offense without good ball movement. Gay is willing, Derozan is showing the potential, Amir is displaying the ability & vision. If Jonas gets in on this, the team will be hard to defend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post
    I am one of the hardest critics of DD's games and I am being misunderstood as a hater by some although I admit that I once took it to the extreme.

However it is still too small of a sample size to say that his court awareness and passing ability has improved. But the fact of the matter is that with Gay's presence there is a huge possibility that he may reach to new heights especially this specific facet of his game.

He still has a long ways to go in terms of his ball handling/defense and long range efficiency, all ingredients for him to be a legit starting SG.

In my case, the jury is still out. I don't flip flop on my views and I always stand by it. I hope having Gay playing alongside him may fast track the change of my perspective.
    It's a small sample size but your seeing the improvement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    It's a small sample size but your seeing the improvement.
    35 more games with Rudy Gay and I will definitely get back to you on this.

vCash
    I also pointed out before the trade that letting go of Calderon will allow BC to reevaluate the team. Whether the improvement of some players were fools gold because of Jose's influence.

I am eager to see what Amir can consistently do without his best bud manning the backcourt.

vCash
    35 more games with Rudy Gay and I will definitely get back to you on this.
    You need 35 games to assure yourself of what your seeing or are you waiting for stats to back up the notion.

From what I see, Derozan has IMO clearly made improvements at moving the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    You need 35 games to assure yourself of what your seeing or are you waiting for stats to back up the notion.

From what I see, Derozan has IMO clearly made improvements at moving the ball.
    You said it yourself from your other post on another thread that chemistry cannot easily be quantified. So I will wait until season's end what Gay can bring on the table for Demar to feast on.

Gay is not going anywhere soon so Give me that time.

vCash

I agree it is certainly is a small sample size still. But relative to his career to this point, I definitely think it is a relevant one.

I've had concerns over DeRozan as well. I believe I was in the camp that felt he could be a better fit as a 6th man due to the "scoring" mentality. But the recent adjustment is very nice to see.

vCash
    well perfect timing. he was getting for Rudy Gay lol

over the last few game, i really believe he has taken his game to another level. its gotten me off the hate Derozan train and slowly making my way to the Derozan fan club lol. Realistically, can't trade Demar now.

Bargnani might be the only piece that people want gone but i actually want to see if Bargs can fit with this club.

vCash
    I also pointed out before the trade that letting go of Calderon will allow BC to reevaluate the team. Whether the improvement of some players were fools gold because of Jose's influence.

I am eager to see what Amir can consistently do without his best bud manning the backcourt.
    Jose Calderon is a great player but his impact on this team was overrated. Why must you have a great pass-first point guard to be successful? It's simply not true. Mario Chalmers, Derek Fisher, Tony Parker Chauncey Billups, and whoever the point guard on the 06 heat was lol, were all the point guards of their championship teams and had little impact on the game with their passing.

Rondo wasn't nearly the passer he is now when the Celtics won....the only point guard who impacted a championship team with passing in recent years was Jason Kidd, but we all know it was Dirk and Chandler in the front court that got that team a ring.

A play-making point guard only helps you on offense, and is usually a liability on defense. Defense is a characteristic of EVERY championship team in recent history. Passing is overrated...people seem to be afraid of Lowry running the team - how about we depend on the entire team's passing ability instead of just the point guard? I'd rather have Amir Johnson develop his game/passing than depend on someone to keep passing the ball to him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast