Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: No WAR?

vCash

No WAR?

Let's corral the WAR horse
    Useful? Yes. But the be-all of stats? A critical look at Wins Above Replacement.
    Originally Published: February 1, 2013
    By Jim Caple | ESPN.com

I was tempted to begin this column with the almost-obligatory lyrics from "War," a No. 1 hit song in 1970. But when Edwin Starr sang that war was good for "absolutely nothing'' (say it, say it again), he was recording a protest against actual warfare. My protest, on the other hand, is about something much more widespread, threatening and serious.

I'm talking about the proliferation of WAR: Wins Above Replacement.

Wait! I'm not just some old curmudgeon sportswriter reflexively ranting against the latest technical advance. Well, yes, I am an old curmudgeon sportswriter who routinely rants about new technology -- in fact, my friends joke I would have complained about the introduction of electric light bulbs ("For crying out loud, what's wrong with a simple candle!?!") -- but hear me out on this WAR thing.

First, let me stress there are things I like about WAR.

1. Unlike most stats revered by curmudgeons (who tend to view RBIs as the most reliable and masculine of statistics), WAR not only acknowledges a player's defense, it embraces his fielding as a vital part of his performance. Other stats focus on offense; WAR makes defensive statistics a key part of its calculations.

(continued)
    Read the entire article
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...placement-stat

vCash
    Whoever says WAR is the be all stat is wrong. Just because it is a all encompassing type stat doesn't mean it's all that matters. Few educated people use it as such, and it certainly wasn't the only argument for Trout winning MVP.

He also linked to Bleacher Report, so I don't give a crap what he thinks. Might as well link to this site, or my blog, or Joe Schmoes blog.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    I feel like I have read this exact same article 92 different times in the last 3 years by simply different sports writers who have absolutely no clue how WAR works and like to fight against advancement.

Note. Just because you say you aren't just fighting against advancement and then going on and doing just that makes you nothing but hypocritical. Thinking you pointed it out and then doing it doesn't make you immune to it.

He doesn't understand WAR, and it's clear.

If he truly believes this
    "My issue is this: I don't like the increasing over-use of (and over-reliance on) WAR as THE definitive evaluation of a player's worth."

Then he isn't reading anything from anyone of knowledge.

vCash

vCash
    What confuses me about WAR -- or perhaps even just win shares, generally speaking -- is each player's WAR is relative to his team's wins; yet people compare the WAR of various players as if they're operating on the same baseline.

For instance:

2012 (fWar):
    Trout: 10
    Posey: 8

Can we just say MT is +2, therefore he had the better season; or do those figures need to be analyzed in the context of each player's team record?

vCash
    Each players WAR has nothing to do with the team they are on. Everyone has the same baseline (the replacement player). They don't exactly line up with team wins, but they are usually pretty dang close. If you add up each player on a teams WAR, then add I think 50 to that (replacement team) you should get a number pretty close to actual wins, but not exact.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Each players WAR has nothing to do with the team they are on. Everyone has the same baseline (the replacement player). They don't exactly line up with team wins, but they are usually pretty dang close. If you add up each player on a teams WAR, then add I think 50 to that (replacement team) you should get a number pretty close to actual wins, but not exact.
    Okay, thought so (that makes most sense). Does that still apply to NBA and Win Shares?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    Okay, thought so (that makes most sense). Does that still apply to NBA and Win Shares?
    I have no idea, but I have often wondered the same. Hawkeye (a NBA poster) could answer though.