Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Who is the Mets #15 Prospect for 2013

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daniel Muno

    0 0%
  • Erik Goeddel

    2 11.76%
  • Cory Mazzoni

    1 5.88%
  • Hansel Robles

    2 11.76%
  • Cory Vaughn

    0 0%
  • Phillip Evans

    0 0%
  • Kevin Plawecki

    1 5.88%
  • Wilfredo Tovar

    2 11.76%
  • Darrell Ceciliani

    0 0%
  • Matt Reynolds

    0 0%
  • Amed Rosario

    0 0%
  • Cesar Puello

    2 11.76%
  • Aderlin Rodriguez

    6 35.29%
  • Darin Gorski

    0 0%
  • Collin McHugh

    0 0%
  • Vicente Lupo

    0 0%
  • Juan Lagares

    0 0%
  • Wuilmer Becerra

    0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

    1 5.88%
  • Robert Carson

    0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Nothing?, I already showed that he has shown some power and excellent base running skills.

    Aderlin has 1 tool and he has show it, but that is it, not to mention the fact that you are completely ignore the fact that Puello plays defense and profiles to be a plus defender in RF due to his speed and arm.

    ..so you are ignoring all the positives that Puello brings, but magnifying the 1 good thing that Aderlin does and ignoring the fact that he is an awful defender who will likely have issues even at 1st base, who is more likely to be a DH if anything.
    I said he showed modest power, but he profiles more as a RF than a CF, and his bat hasn't shown nearly enough to man that position.

    Baserunning skills? That's nice and all, but no one cares about secondary skills when you can't hit unless you play SS or C. Nothing suggests he will improve much with his awful plate discipline.

    Aderlin should be better at 1B than 3B, and while it will increase the pressure on his bat, his bat has enough upside thanks to his great raw power and strength.

    I feel that there is less risk with Aderlin as opposed to Puello.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,521
    vCash
    1500
    Should and will are totally different things dude, and he is sadly fit with hands of stone, so tell me how a guy who has issues with catching the ball will do better at 1st?

    Aderlin has played 3rd base mostly because he has a very good arm and at 1st base his arm strength becomes nullified.

    I have a hard time believing a guy with one tool be more likely to make the pros over a guy that at the very minimum could be a 4th outfielder because he could play all 3 outfield spots because of his speed, be used as a pinch runner because of that as well and has some pop too. While the other will have to hit bombs continuously because that is all he brings to the table, no defense, no running as he is a heavy footed guy who is also a 20 on the 20-80 scale.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Should and will are totally different things dude, and he is sadly fit with hands of stone, so tell me how a guy who has issues with catching the ball will do better at 1st?

    Aderlin has played 3rd base mostly because he has a very good arm and at 1st base his arm strength becomes nullified.

    I have a hard time believing a guy with one tool be more likely to make the pros over a guy that at the very minimum could be a 4th outfielder because he could play all 3 outfield spots because of his speed, be used as a pinch runner because of that as well and has some pop too. While the other will have to hit bombs continuously because that is all he brings to the table, no defense, no running as he is a heavy footed guy who is also a 20 on the 20-80 scale.
    Because unlike 3rd base, you don't have to rush to make plays. He wouldn't be great over there obviously though. If 1B doesn't work out, he can always be tried out in the OF where his arm would make-up for some of his lack of speed.

    Did you just say that Puello was at minimum a 4th OF? At minimum, his plate discipline never improves and he never reaches AAA.

    Aderlin has a lot of power, and the bat speed to have a good hit tool as well. His plate discipline actually has some more promise. He certainly has his flaws, but aftet last season I think it's clear he's the better prospect at this point in time. Things can obivously change in a year's time though so we'll see.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Much like Familia, A-Rod 'till he wins.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    4,157
    vCash
    1500
    Voting for the catcher again, GO KEVIN P.
    " You seek Yoda!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,184
    vCash
    1500
    Hansel Robles needs some votes along with Tovar.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,755
    vCash
    1500
    Going for Hansel here. Because his sister Gretel is hot.
    Go Grab My Belt

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,521
    vCash
    1500
    I love Robles as well.

    I was so impressed with what I saw from him this year.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Robles needs to fix his mechanics, otherwise he is a sure pen arm. His secondaries need a lot of improvement too, and he's 22. His fastball has good life though.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,521
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Because unlike 3rd base, you don't have to rush to make plays. He wouldn't be great over there obviously though. If 1B doesn't work out, he can always be tried out in the OF where his arm would make-up for some of his lack of speed.

    Did you just say that Puello was at minimum a 4th OF? At minimum, his plate discipline never improves and he never reaches AAA.

    Aderlin has a lot of power, and the bat speed to have a good hit tool as well. His plate discipline actually has some more promise. He certainly has his flaws, but aftet last season I think it's clear he's the better prospect at this point in time. Things can obivously change in a year's time though so we'll see.
    Even if his plate disciple does not improve much his other skill sets will allow him to be a 4th outfielder for a major league team.

    Aderlin at first will have will have do deal with throws as well as balls hit at him and the dude has hands of stone,I would not trust him whatsoever trying to dig out throws from the other fielders.

    ...and in the outfield?, all I have to say is lol the dude is slower than Flores and a lot bigger.

    He is a DH at best, and given his pop is the only reason why I would rank him this high because he has a ton of power, but Puello is the over all better prospect still.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Even if his plate disciple does not improve much his other skill sets will allow him to be a 4th outfielder for a major league team.

    Aderlin at first will have will have do deal with throws as well as balls hit at him and the dude has hands of stone,I would not trust him whatsoever trying to dig out throws from the other fielders.

    ...and in the outfield?, all I have to say is lol the dude is slower than Flores and a lot bigger.

    He is a DH at best, and given his pop is the only reason why I would rank him this high because he has a ton of power, but Puello is the over all better prospect still.
    No, if his plate discipline doesn't improve, he will never make it out of AAA. There is no room in the big leagues for a guy that hits .220/.250/.380 in the big leagues, and that is what he would likely do if his plate discipline doesn't improve.

    Now I'm not expecting that of him, but he's very risky.

    This is what I found in Aderlin:

    Arm: Plus strength and solid-average accuracy. Doesn’t always look pretty but the ball gets across the diamond in a hurry and with good accuracy. True plus tool that fits at third base. Grade – 60/60

    Fielding: Despite body type, has hands and reactions for third base. Questions surround his desire to improve defensively. Doesn’t always work at it. Sloppy footwork and careless actions on balls where he has time. Makes the plays when he reacts and doesn’t have time to think. Range has diminished over last two years. Currently well below-average with some tools that give projection. Very unlikely to stick at third. Could handle first base if given time to learn position, but would never be an asset there either. Grade – 30/40

    Speed: Easy below-average runner that turns in some well-below average times. Doesn’t have the body to maintain speed and will end up well-below average long term. Not an instinctual base runner and could be problematic on the bases. Grade – 40/30
    So he's faster than Flores right now. I doubt Aderlin would be any different than a guy like Jason Kubel who played OF for the Dbacks. He's been a DH type for much of his career. If Aderlin's arm is as good as advertised, then he would be just below average out there overall.

    Puello has the better overall skillset, but he hasn't shown enough with the bat. He was a better prospect, but not this year. That could change of course after this season.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,521
    vCash
    1500
    That is not accurate on his speed, baseball america had him as a 20 runner, plus the dude is not in great shape either, the outfield is an far fetch idea period for him, that is Duda-esque out there and no better.


    ...and again is not like Puello will hit that in the majors, so do not go on and try to do equivalency numbers based on what he did because they are useless in all reality, the point remains that he has other skill sets that will allow him to reach the majors and be used as a 4th or 5th outfielder given the fact that he can play 3 positions and not be horrible out there and has some pop as well.

    ...also you realize that Puello had a higher OPS than Aderlin in St. Lucie and is not like Puello is much older, he is only 7 months older.

    Puello posted a .751 OPS and Aderlin a .720 OPS, yes Puello was repeating the league, but Aderlin has just as many issues as Puello does with the bat, and he does not have the other skill sets that Puello has.

    ...and since you like to mention that Savannah is a hitters park, then Aderlin should of done better once he went to St. Lucie and did not.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,521
    vCash
    1500
    BTW I would ignore those numbers given to him on speed and just read what they said.

    Speed: Easy below-average runner that turns in some well-below average times. Doesn’t have the body to maintain speed and will end up well-below average long term. Not an instinctual base runner and could be problematic on the bases.
    nothing there tells me he could handle the outfield.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    54,750
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah I know he's very slow, but looking around baseball, teams do play slow players in the outfield. Aderlin at least has a very strong arm, something Duda does not have.

    As for those numbers for Puello, I didn't use equivalency numbers, I just threw numbers out there to prove no player is a sure thing in the big leagues in any capacity, especially one who hasn't even played in AA yet.

    I'm surprised you are ignoring that.

    I know Aderlin had the lower OPS, but again, most of Puello's OBP is comprised of getting HBP, and Aderlin only played in 42 games. That's a very SSS.

    The reason Aderlin didn't improve is because he has plate discipline issues like Puello, but not nearly as severe.

    I look at Puello's BB and K rate, and I refuse to rank him highly.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,521
    vCash
    1500
    ...but Puello has not put below average numbers in any league he has played so far while being younger than the average player in those leagues.

    He may never become good enough to be a starter and that is why I have mention that he could be a 4th or 5th outfielder much like Gomez has been , though I do not think he will be as good in center as Gomez is, but again Puello is a guy that can play all 3 outfield positions and because of his speed teams will try him at center. Also last year was his first year there and he can improve there as well.

    ...and as for Aderlin's arm, it is nice that he has a strong one, but it matter nothing because the dude is not and should never be used in the outfield period, 3rd base was the spot to try him because of his arm, and he is just not a 3rd baseman. He is just not a fielder and that is alright, but to have some real value a guy like him needs to mash a lot more than he has done so far, while a guy like Puello brings so many other things to the table and yet you just want to dismiss that because he has not put up good K/BB rates.

    He could be a .240/.310/.400 guy in the majors who plays excellent defense with those K/BB rates.

    He stands there at gets hit a lot so that will help him and yes a player has some control over that as I mention before, the guys that have gotten hit a lot in the majors do so because they stand there close to the plate and are not afraid to get plunked.

    I think Puello needs to improve as well and yes there will come a point where I want to see more than a .750 OPS from him and better K/BB rates for me to think he once again could be more than an average mlb player or even mlb starter, but as mention he has other facets to his game which make me believe he is more likely to be a major leaguer than Aderlin as of right now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •