0 0%
  • Jack Leathersich

1 5.88%
  • Robert Carson

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    I think our pitching depth is all in the 9 guys who already made the top 15. From here on out I think the pitching and hitting is about even.
    Yup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...but then why vote for Aderlin if you believe that and use the excuse that Puello is unworthy because of what Sickels said.

Again makes no sense to me.
    Well if you are going by Sickels, he did like Aderlin more than Puello:

I dunno really

The discussion of Aderlin Rodriguez up-thread has me re-evaluating his grade. I may bump him up to C+ and that would probably get him in the 21-22 range.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...2013#133270935

So I slept on the Aderlin Rodriguez and Cesar Puello issues. I just don’t see Puello as more than a Grade C right now. He’s got all the tools but I am very skeptical about his skills panning out. He stays a C.

Aderlin is another matter and I think the C+ advocates have some good points. I am putting him on my “re-evaluate this grade later” list. I keep a running list of guys that I need to look over one more time before the book goes to press. However, I don’t make a grade change decision on the spur of the moment. I let it percolate to give time for any emotions (or stubbornness on my part) to clear and let reason carry the day.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...2013#133271581

vCash
    ...but then why vote for Aderlin if you believe that and use the excuse that Puello is unworthy because of what Sickels said.

Again makes no sense to me.

...and as for pitching I will say yes, that pitchers should take most of the spots, but as of now many of the candidates are profiling as pen arms, Goeddel, Mazzoni, DeGrom, Leathersich, Carson and so on. Then the other pitching candidates are likely back end guys like Gorski, McHugh, Pill, Verrett and a couple of others.

Other arms are far too low in the minors to really crack the top 15-20.

If you want to say that an Evans or Tovar should be in there given the fact that they play SS I would agree. IMO they are 15-20 range anyways.

I think Aderlin is a top 15 as well, but he is a 1st baseman at best who will need to MASH because he cand do not much else, hell he may even be just a DH in the future.

Becerra and Lupo are to far out and too raw still to say they should be there and Rosario has not played a game yet(though imo I think he should be top 15).
    Because Aderlin made improvements this year and hit 24 bombs at age 20, most of which in a huge pitchers park.

vCash
    I think our pitching depth is all in the 9 guys who already made the top 15. From here on out I think the pitching and hitting is about even.
    That's true. I admit I may have oversold some of the pitchers in this range, and it does start to get more even. That's why I voted for Aderlin this round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think he's a top 20-25 prospect right now. His plate discipline and OBP is horrid. Pitchers aren't going to keep hitting him as frequently at the upper levels.
    Thing is, the HBP are statistically more likely to translate to higher levels than the walks at this stage. Walk rates for young players at these levels are just notoriously poor predictors of future walk rates. The walk rates will have to improve, but it's not that critical that they aren't there yet.

What I see with Puello is a guy who is making a lot of progress on the finer aspects, he's turning into a good bunter, a good defender, and a very proficient base stealer. I get the impression from the progress I'm seeing that he's a hard-working coachable kid, and hopefullly that will translate to improved plate discipline/approach as well in the near future.

vCash
    I made some strong points to him in the comment section. Lol.

vCash
    He did, but again left both of the top 20 mark even with his reevaluation.

vCash
    Thing is, the HBP are statistically more likely to translate to higher levels than the walks at this stage. Walk rates for young players at these levels are just notoriously poor predictors of future walk rates. The walk rates will have to improve, but it's not that critical that they aren't there yet.

What I see with Puello is a guy who is making a lot of progress on the finer aspects, he's turning into a good bunter, a good defender, and a very proficient base stealer. I get the impression from the progress I'm seeing that he's a hard-working coachable kid, and hopefullly that will translate to improved plate discipline/approach as well in the near future.
    I don't know about that, it's really out of the batter's control how much he gets hit. Pitchers with better control will likely not hit him as much.

I wouldn't mind the lack of walks so much as long as he didn't strike out so much. He doesn't make enough contact to be drawing that little amount of walks. He's improved in some areas, but he's not doing the most important thing right now, hitting and getting on base.

vCash
    Because Aderlin made improvements this year and hit 24 bombs at age 20, most of which in a huge pitchers park.
    ...and so did Puello as I pointed out and is not as if Aderlin has other issues of himself.

IMO both of these guys should be to 15, but I do not get why say one guy is not top 20 because of what Sickels said and then argue that the other guy is top 15 in the same sentence when that same critic had him off his top 20.

vCash
    Or maybe he forgot lol.

vCash
    ...and so did Puello as I pointed out and is not as if Aderlin has other issues of himself.

IMO both of these guys should be to 15, but I do not get why say one guy is not top 20 because of what Sickels said and then argue that the other guy is top 15 in the same sentence when that same critic had him off his top 20.
    Because Puello has shown nothing yet and Aderlin has. I like Puello's upside, but it hasn't translated into anything yet. He's shown modest power and terrible plate discipline.

I would probably take both of these guys over someone like den Dekker, but that's my only gripe.

vCash

Yeah, HBP is something that a hitter does have some control of, A guy that gets hit a lot does so because he stands close to the plate and is able to take the pitch off his body without trying to back away when a pitcher throws it around his body.

He may not have control over where the pitcher throws it, but he has control over whether get hit or not if is thrown at his body.

vCash
    True, but there's not that great a difference from 15 to 22, plus Sickels himself admits he's a little more biased towards polish rather than upside. BA pre-trade, had Tovar at 13, Puello at 18, and Aderlin at 19. And presumably we might like guys like Carson and Vaughn a bit less than BA.

vCash
    Because Puello has shown nothing yet and Aderlin has. I like Puello's upside, but it hasn't translated into anything yet. He's shown modest power and terrible plate discipline.

I would probably take both of these guys over someone like den Dekker, but that's my only gripe.
    Nothing?, I already showed that he has shown some power and excellent base running skills.

Aderlin has 1 tool and he has show it, but that is it, not to mention the fact that you are completely ignore the fact that Puello plays defense and profiles to be a plus defender in RF due to his speed and arm.

..so you are ignoring all the positives that Puello brings, but magnifying the 1 good thing that Aderlin does and ignoring the fact that he is an awful defender who will likely have issues even at 1st base, who is more likely to be a DH if anything.

vCash
    I would rank Tovar over Puello too. Tovar is a little younger by a few months and already had success in St. Lucie. Add to the fact that he's a good defensive SS, and he's definitely a Top 20 talent.

I want to see Gabriel Ynoa included in the next list, he's not getting enough love for the youngest pitcher in the NYPL.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast