Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    You never read or hear a scout saying, "Hey this guy can be a 100 rbi guy". So why use it as a barometer on why a player is good. It's probably one of the crudest ways to describe someone one is clutch.
    What? This makes no sense.

So what you're saying is Duda is as good as Dunn?

Who said anything about clutch?

I'm talking about consistent production.

vCash
    Duda is gonna mash this year at the plate. His fielding will be suspect at best, but hitting 25+ home runs is good enough for me.

This is why Bourn would be a huge signing. Tracking balls in CF and helping take over the lack of range for Duda.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    What? This makes no sense.

So what you're saying is Duda is as good as Dunn?

Who said anything about clutch?

I'm talking about consistent production.
    No one uses RBI stat to describe how good a player is besides the people who don't know any better.

The RBI stat is the crudest way to gauge clutch, much like the sun dial is great for telling time.

There are different tools to use.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    No one uses RBI stat to describe how good a player is besides the people who don't know any better.

The RBI stat is the crudest way to gauge clutch, much like the sun dial is great for telling time.

In your opinion. I use RBI's to show production. They are production.

Again, no-one said anything about clutch.

Are you telling me Duda is as good as Dunn?

There are different tools which you think mean anything, doesn't mean anyone else does.

vCash
    Dunn and Duda should never be mentioned in the same breath. Similar type of player, but in terms of talent and production, not even close.

Dunn had 7 straight years, where his HR was at least 38 and he knocked in at least 90 runs. Most of those years were 40+/100+ years.
    Jeez McFly, ease off those meds. I was using mental approach as my point, not actual production.

vCash

That's BS, Clay. The simple truth about baseball is that if you score more runs than the other guys in a game, you win. That's why the studs are in the middle of the batting order .. to drive in runs. It may be crude (who cares), but I always value players that score runs and players who drive runs in. People can get so lost in different numbers they lose sight of the fact that numbers are tools used to ATTEMPT to describe reality .. not reality itself.

vCash
    When scouts and talent evaluators discuss prospects and potential prospects, I have never read, "Yeah this guy is going to be a big RBI guy." RBI's are team stat, meaning they are dependent on players to get infront of them to get on base and in most cases in scoring position. It's not a good indicator of what type of player they'll become or produce.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Lmao are you guys really talking up RBI's?

The guys in the middle of the order "drive in runs" simply because they are in the middle of the order.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post

The guys in the middle of the order "drive in runs" simply because they are in the middle of the order.
    OK. Put Reuben or Murphy in the middle of the lineup and keep LYAO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNY62 View Post
    OK. Put Reuben or Murphy in the middle of the lineup and keep LYAO.
    I think his point was RBI's are a stat of opportunity, over inflating certain players value.

Like a Ryan Howard who drives in a ton of runs and hits homers but every other element of his below average at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post

So Duda would drive 90+ every year and hit 38+ dingers every year, if he batted clean up?

Ok.

vCash
    I cannot believe you're trying to defend Duda vs Adam Dunn, Duda hasn't even had a career at this point - laughable.

vCash
    No one is comparing them, just inclusion of RBI is useless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    No one is comparing them, just inclusion of RBI is useless.
    It's not when it shows 7 years of consistent production.

vCash
    It's not when it shows 7 years of consistent production.
    Middle of the order guys get an abnormal amount of ABs with RISP in comparison to guys at the top and the bottom of the lineup.

RBI's are a stat of opportunity.

There are better numbers to evaluate a guy like Dunn (OPS, wOBA, WRC+ etc etc)
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast