Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Interesting News and Updates From Today

Panthers DC Sean McDermott said they'll "experiment more" with the 3-4 defense in 2013.
    "Would we like to do more? Absolutely. How much of it? We'll see," said McDermott. The main reasoning behind the desire is that Carolina has four quality linebackers in Luke Kuechly, Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, and James Anderson. "We've got to get all of those guys on the field," McDermott added. Mike Clay of Pro Football Focus, and Rotoworld contributor, said the Panthers ran zero base 3-4 snaps in 2012, playing 39 snaps in the 3-3-5 nickel defense.
    Cam Newton said on Friday that he is "excited" to work with new OC Mike Shula.
    Newton said the continuity was important, and he went as far to credit Shula, then QBs coach, for his development over the second half of 2012. "I've been talking to [Shula] and he's been giving me some ideas to think about. I think it's going to be a working process, but at the same time we're going to have fun and take it to higher heights," Newton said. "I think a lot of credit goes to him with me honing in to a lot of things that he's been coaching me up to do."
    -roto

I like it. I think actually we could have a pretty awesome 3-4 front, especially in passing/long yardagte situations. Hardy/Johnson at DE, one of the Edwardses at NT, put Anderson and TD on the outsides (assuming they're both here), and Kuechly/Beason on the interior. In addition, you could maybe even stand up a Keiser or a Alexander on the outside at OLB, or even stand up Hardy or Johnson and use both of the Edwardses on the line. Anyways, I'm rambling, but we have a lot of athletic pieces that we could move around in a 3-4 and create winnable match-ups.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I'm really a fan of the 3-4 (I used to love the thought of having Peppers at OLB), but I really don't think it's going to be good for this team, unless something drastically changes between now and pre-season.

DL: R. Edwards would be (and has before) a good 3-4 NT if he can stay healthy. D. Edwards would be a good 3-4 DE, and I'm sure Johnson would be a good DE (Hardy probably could as well, like you mentioned). The biggest problem here is that I think Johnson and Hardy would be better suited as 4-3 ends to rush the passer, unless they could have a JJ Watt/Haloti Gnata effect from the 3-4 DE position. That being said, Johnson is paid too much to risk at 3-4 DE as a primary position.

ILB: Beason and Kuechly are the main reason a 3-4 switch makes sense, given that they are both top 10 MLBs in a 4-3. Davis also best translates to ILB in a 3-4, so I don't see him making the switch to OLB. If we made this change, Davis would either be the weakest link or would have to be a rotational player (which doesn't make sense).

OLB: Most of our 4-3 DEs project well here. This would be interesting if Frank Alexander continues to perform well, since we could have him, Johnson, and Hardy on the field at the same time. I think the way we would run it would keep Johnson at DE (he's also the shortest of the three DEs, not that that's a huge factor), and move Hardy and Alexander to OLB, and possibly Anderson if he doesn't get cut.

Overall, I still don't like 3-4 as a primary, or even 40% of our total defense right now, however, a hybrid defense that can shift players at any given time could be hell for a defense. From our base 4-3, we could shift Hardy from DE to OLB and shift D. Edwards to DE to form a quick 3-4.

If they're actually interested in experimenting with the 3-4 again, I'd bet that's a guarantee that we take a NT with our first pick.

vCash
    You can use 3-4 DEs to rush the passer too, especially if you're running a one-gap 3-4. Johnson and Hardy at ends, Dwan at NT, and let them play their one gap. The Texans run a one-gap 3-4 for the most part. It's really effective in passing situations. I actually disagree with you that TD fits at ILB in a 3-4. I would actually play him at OLB. He's a quick guy even after his injury woes that could get after the QB, and he's also very valuable outside in coverage as well. He's not necessarily the prototypical 3-4 OLB, but don't get so boxed-in to thinking that "4-3 DTs play DE and NT, 4-3 DEs play OLB, 4-3 OLBs and ILBs play ILB." These are fluid positional groupings, and they don't always translate like they are traditionally expected to.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I just don't know that I'd want TD doing the things that are expected of a 3-4 OLB every play. He's so much better in coverage, plus I think he's less likely to be injured if he's not pass-rushing. That's probably not the case, but just a worry I'd have.

My biggest concern about a switch in defense is that we'd have to draft more pieces to fit the new defense, which takes away from our opportunities to fix other positions of the team. If we were to decide to change to a 3-4 I'd hope we wait until our cap mess is fixed and we can switch based on luxury rather than need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I just don't know that I'd want TD doing the things that are expected of a 3-4 OLB every play. He's so much better in coverage, plus I think he's less likely to be injured if he's not pass-rushing. That's probably not the case, but just a worry I'd have.

My biggest concern about a switch in defense is that we'd have to draft more pieces to fit the new defense, which takes away from our opportunities to fix other positions of the team. If we were to decide to change to a 3-4 I'd hope we wait until our cap mess is fixed and we can switch based on luxury rather than need.
    I don't think a complete switch is necessary, but innovation is a positive. You can go overboard (see: Chudzinski, Rob; first half of 2012 season), but I would like to see us experiment with our versatile pieces on defense, as well as add some more. There's some talk of someone like Jarvis Jones dropping due to medical concerns and whatnot, and if someone like that fell to the Panthers, I would LOVE to snag him and integrate him into our system.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I don't think a complete switch is necessary, but innovation is a positive. You can go overboard (see: Chudzinski, Rob; first half of 2012 season), but I would like to see us experiment with our versatile pieces on defense, as well as add some more. There's some talk of someone like Jarvis Jones dropping due to medical concerns and whatnot, and if someone like that fell to the Panthers, I would LOVE to snag him and integrate him into our system.
    The prospect of Jarvis Jones on this team at pick 14 is mouthwatering, but it'd be tough to pull the trigger given that we have three promising DEs. If we did take Jones though, we'd almost have to switch to a 3-4 to utilize all of our best players.

Hardy-Kuechly-Beason-Jones
    Johnson-Edwards-Edwards

That could be one hell of a pass-rush.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The prospect of Jarvis Jones on this team at pick 14 is mouthwatering, but it'd be tough to pull the trigger given that we have three promising DEs. If we did take Jones though, we'd almost have to switch to a 3-4 to utilize all of our best players.

Hardy-Kuechly-Beason-Jones
    Johnson-Edwards-Edwards

That could be one hell of a pass-rush.
    Why? I'd use JJ at SAM in a 4-3 too. He certainly can't play end.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Why? I'd use JJ at SAM in a 4-3 too. He certainly can't play end.
    No way I'd want us to spend a top 15 pick on a 4-3 LB when we have Kuechly, Beason, TD, and Anderson already. 4-3 OLB just isn't that big of a need when we have the depth we have plus we need linemen. I do agree that he isn't a good fit for a 4-3 DE.

That being said, are you saying to use him as a typical SAM, or use him like the Broncos use Miller? Because I truly don't believe Jones comes close to touching Miller in terms of athleticism.