Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    btw, the last 5 NBA champions all employ statistical analytics crews. Sorry guys, its part of the current and future NBA. The old days of going with your gut have been molded.
    Im not a fan really, maybe im old school. I just hate when I read stuff like per whatever Andre Drummond is the best rookie Center of all time type stuff...whatever happened to actually watching a guy play instead of reading stat sheets printed out at nausea by computers
    Twitter me PSDers I follow back @Electrro

vCash
    O yeah I forgot about Hollinger and how he works for the Grizzlies. LOLOLOLOL No wonder HIS trade machine on ESPN projected that they would win more games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spreadeagle View Post
    Im not a fan really, maybe im old school. I just hate when I read stuff like per whatever Andre Drummond is the best rookie Center of all time type stuff...whatever happened to actually watching a guy play instead of reading stat sheets printed out at nausea by computers
    well, there needs to be a mix. It seems to me ESPN is going overboard with their attempts to get a Hollinger replacement, and churning out a lot of stat articles right now. But the days of using ex-ball players as pretty much the only source of scouting and putting teams together is gone, being replaced by a mix of people who have played the game, coached the game, scouted the game, and then a bunch of short bald white dudes who instead of playing the game, studied it to a science.

If you guys don't think Hollinger has watched more basketball, not only on tape, but in person, than any of us, you are dead wrong. He was paid to watch basketball for years.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    they are easily better without gay. he was a cancer to them. just look at when they made that lil playoff run 2 years ago when gay was out with a shoulder injury. Sam friggin young was starting in his place...

vCash
    btw, the last 5 NBA champions all employ statistical analytics crews. Sorry guys, its part of the current and future NBA. The old days of going with your gut have been molded.
    So do the Charlotte Bobcats.
    Dwight Howard is a Top 5 Center of All-Time, no one in this league can touch him.

The Orlando Magic are a dominant contender and are a better franchise than I ever thought possible.

Raph12 is always right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNash View Post
    So do the Charlotte Bobcats.
    So does almost every team. Point is, teams are using this now. And the Bobcats weren't using them when they put together the embarrassment they have now. The GOAT was calling the shots, based on his gut feelings and expertise.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Some of these small market teams wonder why they can't sustain success. They wan't their cake and eat it too. Sacramento was run into the ground and just sold for big bucks. Memphis sold for big bucks. But yet they still wanna play broke. Then the new owner comes in and starts tightening the belt during their best start ever. Their core 4 guys would've kept them contenders for minimum next 3 or so years.......

BRIA MYLES.....SWAG!

vCash
    I really can't believe people are still buying into Rudy Gay being a star caliber player. This isn't going to hurt the Grizz at all, unless continuity is the issue. Cause it won't be the level of talent dropping off. They get an upgrade on defense at the wings, who can stretch the floor much better than Gay, and great depth up front, all while becoming more financially flexible. Toronto is the one that lost this trade.

vCash
    My point being that having the last 5 champions have them mean little without context.

Doesn't take a statistician to tell you that signing LeBron, Wade, and Bosh might be a good idea. Or that a Kwame for Pau swap might workout.

Besides that, it's hard to judge the level of influence on decisions unless they are the actual GM. Which we have in Morey who has been terrible.
    Dwight Howard is a Top 5 Center of All-Time, no one in this league can touch him.

The Orlando Magic are a dominant contender and are a better franchise than I ever thought possible.

Raph12 is always right.

vCash
    I really can't believe people are still buying into Rudy Gay being a star caliber player. This isn't going to hurt the Grizz at all, unless continuity is the issue. Cause it won't be the level of talent dropping off. They get an upgrade on defense at the wings, who can stretch the floor much better than Gay, and great depth up front, all while becoming more financially flexible. Toronto is the one that lost this trade.
    Gay was the guy who created shots when the D buckled down, the offensive set came up empty and you needed a late clock or late game shot. The last 5 champions had those guys too. Grizz don't anymore.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Well then he should have come up with a better offensive system, one that made use of his talents abilities. This whole slow it down and grind it out thing is partly why Gay struggled IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Gay was the guy who created shots when the D buckled down, the offensive set came up empty and you needed a late clock or late game shot. The last 5 champions had those guys too. Grizz don't anymore.
    Sadly he was also a guy who couldn't make high% shots EARLY in the shot clock and is partly why their offense is so ******. I blame the coach and Rudy for their failures.
    Last edited by Chronz; 02-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    so what? Beasley was that for the Wolves, it didn't mean he didn't suck, it meant he could create his own shot. High volume shot creators are the most overvalued players in the NBA. Just because you CAN get a shot off, doesn't mean you are good at knocking it down.

vCash
    Hollins doesn't pay the bills. Now do your job, and coach.
    true, but that's like taking the tools from a mechanic that he's accustomed and replacing them with something different and telling him to figure things out on the fly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Well then he should have come up with a better offensive system, one that made use of his talents abilities. This whole slow it down and grind it out thing is partly why Gay struggled IMO.
    For sure, but for all his gifts, he shoots way too many long 2's, and just doesn't attack enough. Would having a faster paced team help him? Probably. Will they employ that in Toronto, or will he be an inefficient jump shooter again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
    true, but that's like taking the tools from a mechanic that he's accustomed and replacing them with something different and telling him to figure things out on the fly.
    no, that is not the same. Mechanics pick their own tools, its their work. When you are a coach, at the pro level, it is expected that you will lose players to injury, trades, and free agency, and its your job to make adjustments.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast