Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Yale student accused in Harvard game tailgate death to get special probation

NEW HAVEN – The charge of negligent homicide with a motor vehicle against a Yale student accused in the death of a woman at a 2011 Yale-Harvard football game tailgate will be reduced in Superior Court this morning.

Brendan Ross will get accelerated rehabilitation – a special form of probation – on reduced charges of reckless endangerment and reckless driving, under a plea deal, according to his lawyer, William F. Dow III.

He will also plead guilty to two infractions: traveling unreasonably fast and unsafe starting.

Ross will have to complete a total of 400 hours of community service.

He will not have a criminal record.

Ross was driving a U-Haul truck carrying beer kegs and he had entered one of the parking lots near Yale Bowl when the truck suddenly accelerated and ran over three women.

Nancy Barry, 30, of Salem, Mass., was killed. Sarah Short, a Yale student from New Haven, who was walking with Barry, also was hit and injured. The third person hit was Elizabeth Dernbach, 23.

Police on the scene gave Ross a field sobriety test, which he passed

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...b664016783.txt
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not sure how you can run over 3 people, killing one(mistakenly or not)...and not only avoid jail but to have NO CRIMINAL RECORD after-the-fact. That's insane, IMO.

I live in the city, and people are pissed about this ruling. I'd argue that if this kid was some regular, middle class worker, he'd be in prison.

Thoughts?

vCash
    because he's from yale and probably sucked off everybody he had to deal with. if a regular dude did this, automatic jail time.

vCash
    I think you're overreacting. It really comes down to your interpretation of the justice system. If you believe that it is meant to punish people who committed crimes than I see your point, but my personal view is that it is meant to keep people who present a legitimate danger to society off of the streets. I don't think this guy presents a legitimate danger to society. And him being a Yale student really has nothing to do with it. He was a kid who made a stupid mistake.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    He killed someone and he doesn't get a criminal record? Future CEO right there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    I think you're overreacting. It really comes down to your interpretation of the justice system. If you believe that it is meant to punish people who committed crimes than I see your point, but my personal view is that it is meant to keep people who present a legitimate danger to society off of the streets. I don't think this guy presents a legitimate danger to society. And him being a Yale student really has nothing to do with it. He was a kid who made a stupid mistake.
    Yeah...

I mean sure I bet he had a better lawyer than most, but the system got it right for once.

vCash
    How does a truck "suddenly accelerate"?

vCash
    you want him to go to jail b/c he was involved in a tragic traffic accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    How does a truck "suddenly accelerate"?
    IDK but it is possible. My mother had a ford taurus that used to do that. It wound up going to multiple mechanics that couldn't figure it out until one guy figured out that it had something to do with the cruise controls wiring. I'm sure there is something that could have made this happen in the truck
    Last edited by ewing; 02-01-2013 at 01:47 PM.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...b664016783.txt
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not sure how you can run over 3 people, killing one(mistakenly or not)...and not only avoid jail but to have NO CRIMINAL RECORD after-the-fact. That's insane, IMO.

I live in the city, and people are pissed about this ruling. I'd argue that if this kid was some regular, middle class worker, he'd be in prison.

Thoughts?
    B/c being in a traffic accident isn't a felony.

vCash

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

he belongs to a secret elitist college fraternity organization called "The Skulls"

vCash
    wealthy people are really good at staying out of prison

vCash
    Oh come on, you can't be that naive. The rich/privileged get away with murder while the poor get sentenced ruthlessly for crimes of far less consequence. You know this. There's been a war on the poor for awhile now.

vCash
    By the way, theres plenty of people who go to Harvard and Yale who arent in the upper class

vCash

I'm obviously biased b/c I live in the city and have alot of experience with Yale students, that's why I wanted to get everyone else's opinions on it.

Ideally, I want a justice system that rules equally for everyone. This ruling is a small example of the inequality of our justice system as a whole. I think we agree that some punishments are over-the-top, however if a working class person and someone from a highly accredited University student commits a crime, they should have the same exact sentence. Based on my experience, I believe that him being from Yale student has everything to do with it.

I don't think the kid needs to go to jail for a long time, it was obviously a horrible mistake. I just can't believe the slap on the wrist this kid got. I mean, to avoid it even going on your record? That's over-the-top for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    B/c being in a traffic accident isn't a felony.
    I never argued it was a felony, but mistakenly running over 3 people and killing one you'd imagine would at least go on your record.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast