Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 72 of 72
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    How come Lyon got a contract and those nearly 40 year olds didn't?

    Is it because they're real old and therefore much less likely to be productive?

    Why should I care if guys get paid? I want to win. Not play nice and have a cost effective payroll.

    What is this obsession Mets fans have with not spending money?

    Always with the cheaper is better...

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    How come Lyon got a contract and those nearly 40 year olds didn't?

    Is it because they're real old and therefore much less likely to be productive?

    Why should I care if guys get paid? I want to win. Not play nice and have a cost effective payroll.

    What is this obsession Mets fans have with not spending money?

    Always with the cheaper is better...
    There is no obsession with not spending money, most relief pitchers are just not worth giving big contracts to.

    If they want to spend big money on a productive OF, then I ray: ray: ray: they do.

    They are unpredictable for the 100th time i've said it and teams don't like to give up 40 man roster spots to RELIEF PITCHERS IN FREE AGENCY!!

    What was ineffective about Atchison and Hawkins last year?

    That's right...

    Nothing..
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 08:41 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    There is no obsession with not spending money, most relief pitchers are just not worth giving big contracts to.

    If they want to spend big money on a productive OF, then I ray: ray: ray: they do.

    They are unpredictable for the 100th time i've said it and teams don't like to give up 40 man roster spots to RELIEF PITCHERS IN FREE AGENCY!!

    What was ineffective about Atchison and Hawkins last year?

    That's right...

    Nothing..

    Then how come Lyon got money isn't he a relief pitcher?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Then how come Lyon got money isn't he a relief pitcher?
    Conventional wisdom doesn't change man just because you are angry...

    First of all we don't know how much money they are giving Lyon because they haven't signed him yet.

    Secondly, i said "most" relievers, Lyon has had a longer track record of being productive but even in 2011 he pitched to an 11 ERA before going down with injury.

    It's still a crapshoot.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Conventional wisdom doesn't change man just because you are angry...

    First of all we don't know how much money they are giving Lyon because they haven't signed him yet.

    Secondly, i said "most" relievers, Lyon has had a longer track record of being productive but even in 2011 he pitched to an 11 ERA before going down with injury.

    But the guys who are nearly 40 didn't get a deal...I wonder why?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    But the guys who are nearly 40 didn't get a deal...I wonder why?
    Because again teams don't give 40 man roster spots to relief pitchers.

    There are plenty of relievers still left on the market for that reason..

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Because again teams don't give 40 man roster spots to relief pitchers.

    There are plenty of relievers still left on the market for that reason..
    Of course they do.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Of course they do.
    Not this late in the offseason...

    They sign them to minor league deals and if they work out in ST, they add them to the roster.

    Guys like Chad Gaudin, Kyle McClennan, Jeff Manship, and Chad Qualls are not getting guaranteed major league deals with a 40 man spot.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    6,874
    vCash
    1500
    I think the Marlins got Valverde so we can close this one now.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    jose valverde is talking to a few teams, including the #marlins. no deal seems imminent.
    Guess he hasn't signed yet...

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    6,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    I think the Marlins got Valverde so we can close this one now.
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

    jose valverde is talking to a few teams, including the #marlins. no deal seems imminent.

    Guess he hasn't signed yet...
    Haha...just kidding

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,755
    vCash
    1500
    It's not your fault, sometimes these writers report things prematurely.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •