Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Geez, can't we see if Jorge Julio wants to pitch. You mean you don't know who this guy is....c'mon.

He's the guy that was traded along with John Maine to the Metsies for one Kris Benson.

If We Can't Get Tulo Then Sign This Free Agent For Shortstop

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    Geez, can't we see if Jorge Julio wants to pitch. You mean you don't know who this guy is....c'mon.

He's the guy that was traded along with John Maine to the Metsies for one Kris Benson.
    Anna Benson
    #oneatatime

vCash

Dallas Braden and Joey Devine I hope the Mets Look at either or both

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/85...me-free-agents I checked they are both available

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/m...her/available/

Dallas Braden

Joey Devine

both excellent closers when healthy

Maybe the Mets should offer either a contract

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6387/joey-devine

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28749/dallas-braden

both or either could bolster our pen if given a contract and give us the addition we need to contend
    Last edited by maskedmetfan; 02-02-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: addition list of free agents

vCash
    Have they spent any money yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Have they spent any money yet?
    Shawn Marcum.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    I didn't think so, still 'looking at' and 'interested in' - spending and signing? not so much...

vCash
    I didn't think so, still 'looking at' and 'interested in' - spending and signing? not so much...
    Who exactly could they sign today?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    The ironic part of their bullpen woes is that over the last five years they gave away or traded for nada guys like Bell, Lindstrom and JSmith....all who would have made their pen stronger. And you still see Wheeler, Dotel, Mota pitching somewhere...all former Met farmhands. If they wanted to build a better bullpen without spending a fortune they coulda signed DOliver and or MGonzalez...two solid lefties I have always liked. They seem to get relievers one year too late when they are on the downside...and cheap. You get what you pay for. The success formula for most solid pens is get a good closer and add in a mix of two proven veterans and a bunch of flamethrowing kids and see who sticks. Add Valverde and we may be there.
    Last edited by rdg515; 02-03-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    The ironic part of their bullpen woes is that over the last five years they gave away or traded for nada guys like Bell, Lindstrom and JSmith....all who would have made their pen stronger. And you still see Wheeler, Dotel, Mota pitching somewhere...all former Met farmhands. If they wanted to build a better bullpen without spending a fortune they coulda signed DOliver and or MGonzalez...two solid lefties I have always liked. They seem to get relievers one year too late when they are on the downside...and cheap. You get what you pay for. The success formula for most solid pens is get a good closer and add in a mix of two proven veterans and a bunch of flamethrowing kids and see who sticks. Add Valverde and we may be there.

They don't want to pay for talent, that's all there is to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Sham?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Brandon Lyon evidently

vCash
    Looks like it's not impossible for the Mets to sign players then....

vCash
    They don't want to pay for talent, that's all there is to it.
    Looks like it's not impossible for the Mets to sign players then....
    Do you think Lyon has talent?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    I like that Sandy is taking my advice. Smart guy. No need to totally tank a season for the sake of a few measly Coupon dollars. Imprive the team incrementally, get used to winning and get the ship turned round faster. If this team can somehow stay relevant PAST July for once, it gives our young players confidence, and they won't always be pressing because the teams on a another long losing run, they're behind in the game again.

Improve the BP, give our young starters CONFIDENCE, get them WINS - it's all helpful to producing a winner later.

There's more to producing a winner than simply assembling dreamy prospects. People forget that. Winning is a habit, so is losing, the Mets need to start cracking .500 once or twice before we start talking winning 95 games.

The notion that there's no point doing anything unless you're already an 85 win has been exposed as idiotic.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 02-03-2013 at 09:10 PM.

vCash
    I like that Sandy is taking my advice. Smart guy. No need to totally tank a season for the sake of a few measly Coupon dollars. Imprive the team incrementally, get used to winning and get the ship turned round faster. If this team can somehow stay relevant PAST July for once, it gives our young players confidence, and they won't always be pressing because the teams on a another long losing run, they're behind in the game again.

Improve the BP, give our young starters CONFIDENCE, get them WINS - it's all helpful to producing a winner later.

There's more to producing a winner than simply assembling dreamy prospects. People forget that. Winning is a habit, so is losing, the Mets need to start cracking .500 once or twice before we start talking winning 95 games.

The notion that there's no point doing anything unless you're already an 85 win has been exposed as idiotic.
    But they weren't improving the bullpen with the other acquisitions right?

Only Lyon because he is going to get a guaranteed deal when there are plenty of relievers that come in minor league deals year after year and are effective.

The proof is in a player's effectiveness is not just in the money he is paid. There are ton load of major league players that are overpaid and are not effective.

Scott Atchison, Latroy Hawkins, etc etc are good pickups and they are even better pickups not guaranteeing them 4 million bucks.

Building a winning team doesn't just comprise of spending money, it's a multitude of things. Having a strong internal foundation to bring up players when other players are ineffective is also important. It's also important to have quality minor league depth so if they need to make trades to fix an area of weakness they can.

It's not just about carrying 150+ plus million dollar payrolls.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-03-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast