Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

False Confidence

I know GD is usually for ridiculous topics and maybe this won't turn into an actual intelligent conversation, but what do you think the reason is for all the false confidence on this site? What I mean is how do so many different posters feel confident about topics that no one knows the real answer to? Example are the Ray Lewis trial and the whole Te'o situation.

What is it that makes people so confident on topics that are impossible to have all the information on? It's one thing to say I think Ray did this or I think Te'o did that, but how can people say he did this or he did that?

Is it just because they are faceless people behind a keyboard that like to argue on here or do people just think like this in everyday life?

"We the best in the league, Tony!"

vCash
    I don't think it has anything to do with the computer, people are pretty much like that in person too
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Kind of like your false confidence in your sig, OP?

NFC North: Leading the League in Stupid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Kind of like your false confidence in your sig, OP?
    I mean my sig is more praising Mitch. Regardless of the outcome, it was impressive that he got the deal done.

But to answer your trollish question, no not like that. I did not even express confidence in my sig.

vCash
    "and it was good" sounds pretty confident. Clearly it hasn't been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the computer, people are pretty much like that in person too
    Yeah I agree. I just don't know how people are so sure of things that it impossible to be sure about. Are people really so arrogant that they can't admit they might not know the answer to something?

That's pretty much a rhetorical question, I guess I'm just wondering the cause. Insecurity or just complete narcissism?

vCash
    "and it was good" sounds pretty confident. Clearly it hasn't been.
    Clearly you are trolling and contributing nothing to this thread. The trade was good and if he re-signs their future is good. Also, I still feel that they are good enough to make the playoffs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAcowBOMBER View Post
    Yeah I agree. I just don't know how people are so sure of things that it impossible to be sure about. Are people really so arrogant that they can't admit they might not know the answer to something?

That's pretty much a rhetorical question, I guess I'm just wondering the cause. Insecurity or just complete narcissism?
    Because absolutes are easier to grasp and many people don't want to have intelligent discussion.

/thread

vCash
    Because absolutes are easier to grasp and many people don't want to have intelligent discussion.

/thread
    I honestly think it more has to do with the combined stupidity and arrogance of many people today. I think most people honestly believe the fake facts they spout out or because it is the first possible scenario they thought of, it must be right.

There were so many people that were positive Te'o was gay and there are people that "know" Ray Lewis stabbed someone.

I understand dealing in absolutes is easier, but it ridiculous that so many people cannot see that's an absurd away to approach a debate

vCash
    because people are stupid
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAcowBOMBER View Post
    I know GD is usually for ridiculous topics and maybe this won't turn into an actual intelligent conversation, but what do you think the reason is for all the false confidence on this site? What I mean is how do so many different posters feel confident about topics that no one knows the real answer to? Example are the Ray Lewis trial and the whole Te'o situation.

What is it that makes people so confident on topics that are impossible to have all the information on? It's one thing to say I think Ray did this or I think Te'o did that, but how can people say he did this or he did that?

Is it just because they are faceless people behind a keyboard that like to argue on here or do people just think like this in everyday life?
    People are inept. Theres no consequence for being wrong on this forum. Sure, someone might call you out, but its not like we will ever actually see/meet each other. Personally, Ive done this myself and I have felt pretty dumb for it. But at least I have the capacity to admit if I was wrong or being stubborn.
    I dont think the word is "false confidence" as much as "ignorance". Here are some quotes that I find apply to most of the threads that turn into arguments on PSD...

“New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common.”
    -John Locke

“Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.”
    Lao Tzu

“I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know”
    - Marcus Tullius Cicero

“Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”
    -Robert Quillen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    because people are stupid
    This lol the stupidity of people really amazes me.

#KNICKSTAPE #PLAYOFF2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicHero3 View Post
    People are inept. Theres no consequence for being wrong on this forum. Sure, someone might call you out, but its not like we will ever actually see/meet each other. Personally, Ive done this myself and I have felt pretty dumb for it. But at least I have the capacity to admit if I was wrong or being stubborn.
    I dont think the word is "false confidence" as much as "ignorance". Here are some quotes that I find apply to most of the threads that turn into arguments on PSD...

“New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common.”
    -John Locke

“Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.”
    Lao Tzu

“I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know”
    - Marcus Tullius Cicero

“Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”
    -Robert Quillen
    It certainly is ignorance, but I do not understand where the confidence comes from. I mean I guess I do understand, but I can't fathom being that dumb. So dumb that you just stare facts in the face and disregard them because you "think" something else

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusNYY_Savior View Post
    This lol the stupidity of people really amazes me.
    This is really more what I had intended for this thread. A place to talk about my overall disappointment for people and their stupidity. I just watched something on youtube about how we are raising a generation or indulgent narcissists

vCash

/thread
    Only Sith deal in absolutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast