Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,659
    vCash
    1342

    Official UFC rankings

    Official UFC rankings for fighters to be introduced in Feb. 2013

    Who is in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) title chase "mix" and who still needs to put in more work inside the Octagon to earn consideration?

    Mixed martial arts (MMA) fans, as well as the current fighters on the roster, might now get a better idea of the contender pecking order with news that UFC has teamed up with FightMetric to establish an official ranking system.

    "UFC Fighter Rankings are a great tool for new and existing fans alike to learn and better keep up with the fast pace of the UFC," said UFC President Dana White in a press release. "We always look for opportunities to engage fans and media, allowing them to connect and voice their opinions, and this just one more way of doing that."

    According to the release, FightMetric will poll opinions from about 90 MMA media members worldwide. Rankings -- by division and pound-for-pound -- will be updated after each event, with media members voting immediately after they conclude. Fight fans will be able to see the up-to-date rankings, which will be integrated into upcoming live broadcasts, about 24 hours later on UFC.com.

    Champions will not be ranked in their respective divisions; however, they can -- and most likely will -- receive votes in the pound-for-pound category.
    We'll see how this works, but Dana already said that even with the rankings, he'll "still make fights the fans want to see."

    Here's the website, it should be updated by Sunday evening.
    -----

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    14,925
    vCash
    1500
    Silva
    GSP
    Bones


    top 3 im sure

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    This is gonna be fun..... It is gonna have pros and cons for the UFC.

    Pros

    They now have something else to show fans when building up fights.

    Its harder for champions to duck guys that maintain a high ranking for extended periods of time

    It just looks more professional

    Cons

    It is something that fighters can use in contract negotiations

    Fighters are gonna have even bigger gripes if they get passed over for a title shot

    If they have these rankings and we consistently see lower ranked guys getting title shots or the such then it will probably bother more fans

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    7,005
    vCash
    1500
    I can't say I like the idea, just leave it to places like Bloody Elbow or MMA junkie. It's too manipulative. I see it as another brain washing tactic to fool the plebs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,659
    vCash
    1342
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    I can't say I like the idea, just leave it to places like Bloody Elbow or MMA junkie. It's too manipulative. I see it as another brain washing tactic to fool the plebs.
    Is not like Dana, Lorenzo and Silva are doing the rankings lol.

    I wonder how unbiased reporters from other parts of the world are going to be. Will reporters from Brazil, Canada etc be partial to fighters from their country? Or will they be fair?

    How deep will the rankings be? Is it going to be the whole UFC roster? Top 10? Top 15? If it's the whole roster, I would hate to be the one that's rank last.

    Will there be any sort of criteria, or will it be a matter of personal opinion?
    -----

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington
    Posts
    4,110
    vCash
    1500
    I love the idea. I saw a post earlier and this guy said "who would you rather watch? USC vs Florida or #3 USC vs #5 Florida".

    PSD NFL Mock Draft | Seattle Seahawks GM
    2nd Demarcus Lawrence DE/OLB Boise State
    3rd Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    3rd Trai Turner OG LSU
    4th Brent Urban DT Virginia
    4th Terrence West RB Towson
    5th Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    7th Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.A New Jersey
    Posts
    10,828
    vCash
    1500
    How they going to explain Sonnen getting title shot when he wont even be ranked.I dont care at all about the fight.I guess JJ has to fight somebody. Gus maybe? What if gus loses to GM.I dont think he will but you never know with a loss his stock takes huge hit. GM will get some hype with a win.I like GM but JJ gets a easy win.
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington
    Posts
    4,110
    vCash
    1500
    White said he's still gonna make fights based on what fans wanna see. Not weather or not the guy is ranked 2nd. Sonnen-Jones is gonna be an awesome fight. Sonnen is gonna push the pace. If you wanna complains about a fight complains bout Diez-GSP.

    PSD NFL Mock Draft | Seattle Seahawks GM
    2nd Demarcus Lawrence DE/OLB Boise State
    3rd Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    3rd Trai Turner OG LSU
    4th Brent Urban DT Virginia
    4th Terrence West RB Towson
    5th Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    7th Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Is not like Dana, Lorenzo and Silva are doing the rankings lol.

    I wonder how unbiased reporters from other parts of the world are going to be. Will reporters from Brazil, Canada etc be partial to fighters from their country? Or will they be fair?

    How deep will the rankings be? Is it going to be the whole UFC roster? Top 10? Top 15? If it's the whole roster, I would hate to be the one that's rank last.

    Will there be any sort of criteria, or will it be a matter of personal opinion?
    Dana and Lorenzo have a say with the athletic commissions and the refs why should we expect them to not have a say with something far less important like rankings.

    It says that they are teaming up with Fightmetric and picking 90 journalists from around the world. So are they handpicking the voters? Who tallies up the votes? It is said they are being done on UFC.com ...... Its gonna be real interesting to see where Chael Sonnen is listed at 205 for the initial rankings given that he is a coach and the current #1 contender. But likely won't even be ranked at 205.... If he is we know these rankings are bull****

    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks509 View Post
    I love the idea. I saw a post earlier and this guy said "who would you rather watch? USC vs Florida or #3 USC vs #5 Florida".
    How about #1 Jon Jones vs Chael Sonnen.... It makes them look equally as bad if unranked guys are getting title shots.

    Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    How they going to explain Sonnen getting title shot when he wont even be ranked.I dont care at all about the fight.I guess JJ has to fight somebody. Gus maybe? What if gus loses to GM.I dont think he will but you never know with a loss his stock takes huge hit. GM will get some hype with a win.I like GM but JJ gets a easy win.
    Exactly. Like I said earlier this could put the UFC in a spot where they look bad if they are having so many lower ranked guys getting title shots.

    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks509 View Post
    White said he's still gonna make fights based on what fans wanna see. Not weather or not the guy is ranked 2nd. Sonnen-Jones is gonna be an awesome fight. Sonnen is gonna push the pace. If you wanna complains about a fight complains bout Diez-GSP.
    Are you saying that Sonnen vs Jones is a better matchup than Diaz vs GSP? Please tell....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington
    Posts
    4,110
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post

    Are you saying that Sonnen vs Jones is a better matchup than Diaz vs GSP? Please tell....
    Yea I am saying that. It makes for an amazing matchup. You got the best wrestler he's ever faced, and a relentless fighter who will take him down unlike Rashad. Remember besides the silva fights, which he should have won the first, he hasn't lost since 2009. He's very good. Jones has been a boring fighter lately but Sonnen will make it a good fight. The Diez-GSP fight is gonna be gay. Your gonna have a fighter that got destroyed by a guy GSP just beat. That's dumb. GSP is gonna pick him apart.

    I'm not saying Sonnen deserves the fight at all, but I think it's ludicrous to say Sonnen isn't atleast a top 10 fighter in middleweight or LHW. Only way I see Sonnen not being ranked is because he switched divisions and he hasn't fought in the LHW yet.

    PSD NFL Mock Draft | Seattle Seahawks GM
    2nd Demarcus Lawrence DE/OLB Boise State
    3rd Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    3rd Trai Turner OG LSU
    4th Brent Urban DT Virginia
    4th Terrence West RB Towson
    5th Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    7th Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks509 View Post
    Yea I am saying that. It makes for an amazing matchup. You got the best wrestler he's ever faced, and a relentless fighter who will take him down unlike Rashad. Remember besides the silva fights, which he should have won the first, he hasn't lost since 2009. He's very good. Jones has been a boring fighter lately but Sonnen will make it a good fight. The Diez-GSP fight is gonna be gay. Your gonna have a fighter that got destroyed by a guy GSP just beat. That's dumb. GSP is gonna pick him apart.

    I'm not saying Sonnen deserves the fight at all, but I think it's ludicrous to say Sonnen isn't atleast a top 10 fighter in middleweight or LHW. Only way I see Sonnen not being ranked is because he switched divisions and he hasn't fought in the LHW yet.
    Who are you talking about.... I hope you aren't saying that Carlos Condit destroyed Nick Diaz. All Carlos Condit did was throw leg kicks and run away for half the fight. Alot of people thought that Nick Diaz got screwed .... If he got destroyed he wouldn't have turned right around and got a title shot.

    Chael Sonnen vs Jon Jones is a ratings grab, nothing more. Don't buy the hype. Chael has a very average (11-8 I think) record at 205 losing to guys like Babalu, Jeremy Horn, Forrest Griffin.

    The only way Chael Sonnen has to win this fight is by grinding out a 5 round decision with takedowns. Jon Jones has never been taken down in his career.... not once. And yet Chael Sonnen is gonna do it enough to win a 5-round decision? He couldn't keep Michael Bisping down and gassed out in 3 rounds just 2 fights ago.

    On the flipside Jon Jones can win by submission, knockout or decision. He has a 10-inch reach advantage and is better at every aspect of the standup. As I stated above Chael Sonnen has great wrestling but Jon Jones has never been taken down in his career. And even if Chael Sonnen does take him down his weakness is his submission defense and Jon Jones can submit him.... Rampage Jackson, Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida have a combined 97 career fights with 5 submission losses between them and 3 of those are Jon Jones.

    Jon Jones is an 8-to-1 favorite against Chael Sonnen for a reason.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,659
    vCash
    1342
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Dana and Lorenzo have a say with the athletic commissions and the refs why should we expect them to not have a say with something far less important like rankings.
    How big of a say is that? Because as far as I know, Dana hates Mazzagati, yet he's still reffing UFC fights.

    Dana also doesn't like some of the rules, but the rules haven't changed in a long time. You'd think if they have a say they would at least try to change some of them.

    Or why not use whatever say they have in reducing the suspension time of some of it's fighters. You think Dana wanted to cancel Diaz/GSP all because they found traces of metabolites in Diaz system?

    And how would they impact the rankings? Are you saying that the UFC would force them to rank certain fighters higher? I guess that's a possibility if the voting is secret, but I'm thinking the UFC/Fightmetric will release the names of the 90+ reporters and they will be held accountable.

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    It says that they are teaming up with Fightmetric and picking 90 journalists from around the world. So are they handpicking the voters? Who tallies up the votes? It is said they are being done on UFC.com ...... Its gonna be real interesting to see where Chael Sonnen is listed at 205 for the initial rankings given that he is a coach and the current #1 contender. But likely won't even be ranked at 205.... If he is we know these rankings are bull****
    How else are they supposed to pick these reporters? I'm assuming they will try and get at least one from every popular site/magazine that covers MMA.

    I'm also assuming Fightmetric will tally the votes, they seem to be honorable.

    But I'm with you, I'm curious to see how these rankings will turn out. I'm hoping they'll be unbiased, but who knows what criteria they will use.

    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks509 View Post
    Yea I am saying that. It makes for an amazing matchup. You got the best wrestler he's ever faced, and a relentless fighter who will take him down unlike Rashad. Remember besides the silva fights, which he should have won the first, he hasn't lost since 2009. He's very good. Jones has been a boring fighter lately but Sonnen will make it a good fight. The Diez-GSP fight is gonna be gay. Your gonna have a fighter that got destroyed by a guy GSP just beat. That's dumb. GSP is gonna pick him apart.

    I'm not saying Sonnen deserves the fight at all, but I think it's ludicrous to say Sonnen isn't atleast a top 10 fighter in middleweight or LHW. Only way I see Sonnen not being ranked is because he switched divisions and he hasn't fought in the LHW yet.
    Diaz vs GSP will be way more competitive than Jones vs Sonnen. I would give you a breakdown, but Steelcityroller already took care of that.
    -----

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington
    Posts
    4,110
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Who are you talking about.... I hope you aren't saying that Carlos Condit destroyed Nick Diaz. All Carlos Condit did was throw leg kicks and run away for half the fight. Alot of people thought that Nick Diaz got screwed .... If he got destroyed he wouldn't have turned right around and got a title shot.

    Chael Sonnen vs Jon Jones is a ratings grab, nothing more. Don't buy the hype. Chael has a very average (11-8 I think) record at 205 losing to guys like Babalu, Jeremy Horn, Forrest Griffin.

    The only way Chael Sonnen has to win this fight is by grinding out a 5 round decision with takedowns. Jon Jones has never been taken down in his career.... not once. And yet Chael Sonnen is gonna do it enough to win a 5-round decision? He couldn't keep Michael Bisping down and gassed out in 3 rounds just 2 fights ago.

    On the flipside Jon Jones can win by submission, knockout or decision. He has a 10-inch reach advantage and is better at every aspect of the standup. As I stated above Chael Sonnen has great wrestling but Jon Jones has never been taken down in his career. And even if Chael Sonnen does take him down his weakness is his submission defense and Jon Jones can submit him.... Rampage Jackson, Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida have a combined 97 career fights with 5 submission losses between them and 3 of those are Jon Jones.

    Jon Jones is an 8-to-1 favorite against Chael Sonnen for a reason.
    No I think Jones is gonna win. I'm just saying Sonnen is gonna make it a good fight, he is going to make Jones put on a good fight, and is gonna take him down atleast once. But I don't think it's gonna be like the Silva fight. I also think he's very underrated and that him not being in the top 10 would be dumb. Jones is a complete fighter and he's smart. It's gonna take a well rounded and tough physcially and mentally to beat him. Sonnen is tough, just not sure if he's well rounded enough.
    Last edited by seahawks509; 02-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.

    PSD NFL Mock Draft | Seattle Seahawks GM
    2nd Demarcus Lawrence DE/OLB Boise State
    3rd Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    3rd Trai Turner OG LSU
    4th Brent Urban DT Virginia
    4th Terrence West RB Towson
    5th Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    7th Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,652
    vCash
    500
    I don't like to get into the habit of ranking guys in weight classes before they have done anything. Just because Chael Sonnen was top 10 at middleweight doesn't mean he is top 10 at light heavyweight. As stated above his record is far better at 185 than it is at 205.

    For example at 205

    Jon Jones
    Rashad Evans
    Lyoto Machida
    Shogun Rua
    Dan Henderson
    Glover Teixeira
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Phil Davis
    Ryan Bader
    Antonio Rogerio Nogeuira

    Those are 10 guys at 205 that have done far more in the weight class than Chael Sonnen. Where do you rank Sonnen with those guys?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kennewick, Washington
    Posts
    4,110
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I don't like to get into the habit of ranking guys in weight classes before they have done anything. Just because Chael Sonnen was top 10 at middleweight doesn't mean he is top 10 at light heavyweight. As stated above his record is far better at 185 than it is at 205.

    For example at 205

    Jon Jones
    Rashad Evans
    Lyoto Machida
    Shogun Rua
    Dan Henderson
    Glover Teixeira
    Alexander Gustafsson
    Phil Davis
    Ryan Bader
    Antonio Rogerio Nogeuira

    Those are 10 guys at 205 that have done far more in the weight class than Chael Sonnen. Where do you rank Sonnen with those guys?
    Well see I stated above that the only exception would be that he's starting in a new division. I completely understand your point. Same could be said about Frankie Edgar. Why is he getting a championship fight?

    Ok so you change my mind. I don't think Sonnen should be ranked yet, same with Edgar. But that's not saying I don't think he could be. I think his biggest competition would be Jones, Machida, and Gustaffson. Evans is supposably going to Middleweight so if he does you can take him out. I think he can beat Rua. Rua is getting old and is on a decline.

    PSD NFL Mock Draft | Seattle Seahawks GM
    2nd Demarcus Lawrence DE/OLB Boise State
    3rd Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
    3rd Trai Turner OG LSU
    4th Brent Urban DT Virginia
    4th Terrence West RB Towson
    5th Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    7th Laurent Duvernay-Tardif OT McGill (Canada)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •