Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeleafs View Post
    Butch is definitely auditioning for the job... LOL and it is classless...

But IMO, Casey is a great coach! He motivates our players very well, improves their skills (ie. Ed Davis, Calderon's defense etc.), and he's a defensive genius!

Closing out games and shot clock management is a skill that will come as our coaching staff and players mature and gain more experience.
    Exactly, before Casey(recently) rarely would we get these opportunities to close out games. Usually teams would close us out easily in the 4th. Casey has really only been a head coach in 100 games throughout his career. Gotta give him time to grow as a coach.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by psuedo View Post
    I like Casey as a person and he seems to get great results out of all the underdog guys on his roster. I don't think he is a great coach though. His, timeouts(timing), rotations, and scripted plays are all sub par.

To me it seems like Casey can only coach the guys that really want to be coached. IMO, he has yet to develop a method(respect?) of connecting with headstrong players and getting the most out of them.

On a side note: I really thought, before Bargs got injured, that Casey had lost the locker room and he was done.
    you just echoed my sentiments exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by psuedo View Post
    I like Casey as a person and he seems to get great results out of all the underdog guys on his roster. I don't think he is a great coach though. His, timeouts(timing), rotations, and scripted plays are all sub par.

To me it seems like Casey can only coach the guys that really want to be coached. IMO, he has yet to develop a method(respect?) of connecting with headstrong players and getting the most out of them.

On a side note: I really thought, before Bargs got injured, that Casey had lost the locker room and he was done.
    Of course he's not a great coach, he's only coached in like 100 games, lol.

What evidence is there of him not connecting with headstrong players? Nobody is going to connect with the guys that have intrinsic character issues unless it's one of the 5 great coaches. Pop, Red, Jackson, Pat Riley, Chuck Daly. Even Larry Brown a top 10 coach of all time had trouble with connecting with Allen Iverson and Sloan with Deron Williams...
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I didn't hear the interview, but I've heard him be cynical of Casey in previous interview that he has had. A couple months back he had an interview where he felt Colangelo was the perfect GM for Toronto and had major questions about Casey. I've felt quite the opposite personally. I really like Casey as coach. I liked how he has this group defending, competing and recently sharing the ball on offense. I feel our players have been making great progress as professionals in large part due to his coaching. His X and O's and substution patterns are secondary concerns to the things he does well IMO.
    Totally agree with you, especially about the professionalism he brings to the club.

vCash
    On a side note Casey gets fired if this next season by Christmas we aren't a few games over .500 or a top 6 team in the east.

vCash
    He knows what he's talking about. Talks about a lot of those close games we lost. We didn't run any plays right bad coach management.

Says in 3 years Jonas is an Allstar
    He says Ross is going to be a beast if he has the right coach.
    Should make all defensive teams because he can naturally guard his open position.

Also said he's not worried about Gay trade.
    If healthy & motivated Gay will be that guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I didn't hear the interview, but I've heard him be cynical of Casey in previous interview that he has had. A couple months back he had an interview where he felt Colangelo was the perfect GM for Toronto and had major questions about Casey. I've felt quite the opposite personally. I really like Casey as coach. I liked how he has this group defending, competing and recently sharing the ball on offense. I feel our players have been making great progress as professionals in large part due to his coaching. His X and O's and substution patterns are secondary concerns to the things he does well IMO.
    very well said pebloemer. i agree
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Like Casey but can't deny he's had some questionable moments.

Hawk's game, Atlanta's feed, Nique was ripping Casey for playing zone defense on Korver, he thought the team was poorly prepped for the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Of course he's not a great coach, he's only coached in like 100 games, lol.
    x 2.5

this isn't his first gig you know. 53-69 as head coach in minnesota.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    x 2.5

this isn't his first gig you know. 53-69 as head coach in minnesota.
    Well, looks like I was exaggerating a bit.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Well, looks like I was exaggerating a bit.
    just checking. thought you didn't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Like Casey but can't deny he's had some questionable moments.

Hawk's game, Atlanta's feed, Nique was ripping Casey for playing zone defense on Korver, he thought the team was poorly prepped for the game.
    Maybe Nique needs to look at the newspapers every now and then to find out about trades. Could it be that the team was caught off guard because of the Gay trade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Maybe Nique needs to look at the newspapers every now and then to find out about trades. Could it be that the team was caught off guard because of the Gay trade?
    A trade for Gay has nothing to do with sagging off one of the better 3 point shooters in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by murphturph View Post
    Yeah why did butch even get fired in the first place
    I believe after the first round sweep in the 2000 playoffs butch carter started butted heads with management either during or after the season. He started power tripping glen grunwald trying to dictate what players to get and play GM.

I believe that pissed off the management and so he was fired for lenny wilkins

also i think some players may also have thought he wasn't the person to take the raptors to the next level at the time where we were rising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    A trade for Gay has nothing to do with sagging off one of the better 3 point shooters in the league.
    Having 9 active players didn't help though. If you're down to that small of a rotation you can't waste all of your energy running off of screens. It wasn't ideal for sure but you can't be an NBA coach and just leave Korver open for no reason.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast