Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Unselfish Amar'e Stoudemire thriving for Knicks in reserve role

Unselfish Amar'e Stoudemire thriving for Knicks in reserve role

Published: January 31, 2013 4:36 PM
    By AL IANNAZZONE al.iannazzone@newsday.com

Photo credit: David Pokress | Amar'e Stoudemire points to teammate Ronnie Brewer after Brewer made a basket late in the game as the New York Knicks played the Orlando Magic at Madison Square Garden. (Jan. 30, 2013)

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Amar'e Stoudemire has been a six-time All-Star, the focal point of an offense and owns one of the NBA's richest contracts. But his pursuit of a piece of jewelry has made Stoudemire a better teammate.

Stoudemire, like many of the established Knicks, wants a championship ring. Mike Woodson thinks the best way to win one is with Stoudemire coming off the bench but finishing games. Stoudemire, 30, believes in his coach, and has accepted his new role more professionally than some other high-profile players might.

"I just think he senses a sense of urgency in terms of our team and the makeup of our team that we have to win now," Woodson said after practice Thursday. "It doesn't matter who starts and who plays all the minutes. I always believe it's about who finishes the game. He's accepted his role. That just tells me that he's on board, he's trying to help us win and it doesn't matter what the situation is. He's going to do whatever it takes to help us win."

Stoudemire missed the first 30 games after undergoing left knee surgery. Since returning New Year's Day, Stoudemire steadily has gotten more comfortable to the point now where he's having a major impact for the Knicks, who go for their third straight victory Friday night against Milwaukee.

He shot 7-for-7 and scored 14 points in Wednesday's win over Orlando, and is averaging 16.5 points in his last six games. Stoudemire, 30, said it didn't take any soul-searching to embrace his new role.

"I didn't really put much thought into it all," Stoudemire said. "I had confidence in Coach Woodson to know what it takes for this team to win. These guys study the game twice as much as any player does and he understands what it takes for us to be successful. Once the coaching staff presented me with the opportunity to better the team, I was totally open to it."

Stoudemire is showing an improved post game from his work over the summer with Hakeem Olajuwon, and is committing more than ever to defense. How well he meshes with Carmelo Anthony will be the true measure of how far the Knicks go.

Woodson said he will play the two of them with Tyson Chandler more as the season progresses. They totaled 55 points Wednesday and look more comfortable together than they did last season.

"Everyone has expanded their game for the betterment of the team and wanting to win," Stoudemire said. "I also think us being together for a while has helped us with that. We watch film, we study the game and Coach Woodson is a major reason for that also to figure out how to make it fit with all three of us out there. And we're basketball players and we have the same common denominator of wanting to win a championship.

Notes & quotes: Jason Kidd, who missed Wednesday's game with a sore lower back, expects to play Friday night. Woodson said Kidd would start.

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    STAT really showing loads of maturity and team first attitude, no matter what you have to love that in him.

I am really happy for him, things are looking really promising and his play has been better at this point then expected.

Now I can't fly my airplane

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    Best role for Amare, he can do what he does best coming in the game with JR off the bench.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Amare has really been getting better and better with every game. If he can stay healthy he's golden. I'm glad that he's proving all of those posters who just bashed the living hell out of him this year wrong. I can't belive I'm saying this, but he's looking better than a few years ago. His post game has really added an extra dimension to his game and it seems like money well spent. If he can improve his defense then as a whole the Knicks are looking pretty damn good.

vCash
    now if only he can calm down when he dribbles, he'll stop losing the ball.

vCash
    Too early to be a believer in stat ..lets see if he stays healthy for rest of the season + playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    Too early to be a believer in stat ..lets see if he stays healthy for rest of the season + playoffs.
    Very exciting watching Stat hustle on both ends of the floor

health will definitely be key to whether or not our adventure with him is a success

his continued success makes him a key weapon for the stretch run

he needs to remain on the bench

vCash
    This is a video of Hakeem working with lebron...these are the exact same moves that amare paid $50,000 for and these are the moves that STAT are using..

http://*************************/vid...HBpq74CT9AI6SI

sorry about that it won't let me post the link!

The video is on worldstar tho
    Last edited by WEBB; 01-31-2013 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    STAT definitely made his way back into the good graces of the fan base and the fan base has responded with loads of support. Dude is still getting ovations when he checks in. His attitude has been as good as it gets. Not easy to accept the bench role like he has with open arms. Grade A teammate and person.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Fans went from "Damn, Amare" to rooting for Amare. Its a great story, he's figured out how to capture the heart of the fan base.

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    Very proud of Stat thus far, He's been quite the professional.

THE REAL DRAFT GURU

vCash
    stat is just the ****, if he can stay healthy, sky's the limit. 2010 amare +2012-2013 melo = best 1-2 punch in the league.

vCash
    Vie been a mares biggest doubters and hater there is, it's sad watching him jump and he just has barely no lift compared to the past, and his defense still drives me nuts.

But even I'll give him major props for how he's tried to work his game within the team, instead of trying to be the star he once was, he really has impressed me so far.

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    True professional. Let's hope he's healthy come playoff time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post
    stat is just the ****, if he can stay healthy, sky's the limit. 2010 amare +2012-2013 melo = best 1-2 punch in the league.
    exactly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast