Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What is the right way to develop a player?

Below is a list of players picked in the top 10, how many minutes a game they are playing, and if they are starting.

2010 Top Draft Picks
    1. John Wall (36) - Starter
    2. Evan Turner (26) - Starter
    3. Derrick Favors (21)
    4. Wesley Johnson (22 last year)
    5. DeMarcus Cousins (30) - Starter
    6. Ekpe Udoh (20 last year)
    7. Greg Monroe (32) - Starter
    8. Al-Farouq Aminu (27) - Starter
    9. Gordon Hayward (26)
    10. Paul George (37) - Starter

2011 Top Draft Picks
    1. Kyrie Irving (35) - Starter
    2. Derrick Williams (20)
    3. Enes Kanter (14)
    4. Tristan Thompson (31) - Starter
    5. Jonas Valanciunas (22)
    6. Jan Vesely (13)
    7. Bismack Biyombo (25) - Starter
    8. Brandon Knight (32) - Starter
    9. Kemba Walker (35) - Starter
    10. Jimmer Fredette (14)

From the 2010 draft class, 4 of the top 10 picks are not starting, 2 are Jazz players, the other 2 (Udoh & Johnson) are busts. The 6 starters average 31 minutes a game.

Since 2005 the 3rd pick in the NBA draft was: Deron Williams, Adam Morrison (bust), Al Horford, OJ Mayo, James Harden, Favors, Kanter, Bradley Beal.

What is the best way to develop a player in this league? Would Cousins develop the same if he was playing 21 minutes a night as a reserve? Where would Favors be if he was starting in Sacramento and playing 30 minutes a night?

If you look at the numbers, the Jazz are clearly not developing players the same way as most of the league. When do players who deserve playing time get frustrated and become a distraction? Will these players want to re-sign with the same team? Are the Jazz developing players as well as the rest of the league?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic11 View Post
    Below is a list of players picked in the top 10, how many minutes a game they are playing, and if they are starting.

2010 Top Draft Picks
    1. John Wall (36) - Starter
    2. Evan Turner (26) - Starter
    3. Derrick Favors (21)
    4. Wesley Johnson (22 last year)
    5. DeMarcus Cousins (30) - Starter
    6. Ekpe Udoh (20 last year)
    7. Greg Monroe (32) - Starter
    8. Al-Farouq Aminu (27) - Starter
    9. Gordon Hayward (26)
    10. Paul George (37) - Starter

2011 Top Draft Picks
    1. Kyrie Irving (35) - Starter
    2. Derrick Williams (20)
    3. Enes Kanter (14)
    4. Tristan Thompson (31) - Starter
    5. Jonas Valanciunas (22)
    6. Jan Vesely (13)
    7. Bismack Biyombo (25) - Starter
    8. Brandon Knight (32) - Starter
    9. Kemba Walker (35) - Starter
    10. Jimmer Fredette (14)

From the 2010 draft class, 4 of the top 10 picks are not starting, 2 are Jazz players, the other 2 (Udoh & Johnson) are busts. The 6 starters average 31 minutes a game.

Since 2005 the 3rd pick in the NBA draft was: Deron Williams, Adam Morrison (bust), Al Horford, OJ Mayo, James Harden, Favors, Kanter, Bradley Beal.

What is the best way to develop a player in this league? Would Cousins develop the same if he was playing 21 minutes a night as a reserve? Where would Favors be if he was starting in Sacramento and playing 30 minutes a night?

If you look at the numbers, the Jazz are clearly not developing players the same way as most of the league. When do players who deserve playing time get frustrated and become a distraction? Will these players want to re-sign with the same team? Are the Jazz developing players as well as the rest of the league?
    Who do you mean on our team deserves playing time that isn't getting it? Burks is garbage (another wasted pick) and Favors/Kanter aren't even close to being ready to start and play 30-35mins a game. Favors still wouldn't be able to stay on the court b/c of foul trouble. These guys aren't better than the players ahead of them. That's why they don't get minutes.

Rippin' lips son!!

vCash
    Paul George is the only one on either list playing for a team with a better record then the Jazz. The Pacers are only 2 games ahead of the jazz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Who do you mean on our team deserves playing time that isn't getting it? Burks is garbage (another wasted pick) and Favors/Kanter aren't even close to being ready to start and play 30-35mins a game. Favors still wouldn't be able to stay on the court b/c of foul trouble. These guys aren't better than the players ahead of them. That's why they don't get minutes.
    I never said Kanter & Favors were better than the players ahead of them. I thought it would be interesting to discuss how to develop them. The Jazz are not following the NBA mold to develop players. Other teams are giving their high draft picks more minutes, mostly because their team is bad. But regardless of the talent in front of them, is this the best way to develop a player?

vCash
    I think the best way is to play them, a lot.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    it depends. i like sloan's handling of young upstarts. it depends on teams' situations, the players, playoff races, etc etc. kanter's not wowing anyone, he's solidly improving, but i think corbin's doing him right.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    I think Kanter is being handled correctly, but Favors is the type of player that needs minutes to improve, not just practicing, and short bursts of playing time.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    I think each player is different. It depends on what you want to teach the player. I like the idea of making players earn playing time. Look at Carol- hard work pays off, if you have a player who doesn't work hard off the court, you cut his minutes to give him something to work for. Nothing is given, it must be earned, then the player learns what they have to do to get better. That being said there is no better teacher than experience, its time to get Favors more playing time.... I smell a trade coming soon.

2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

vCash
    I believe they are doing the right thing to the young guys. Hayward and Favors are getting the most minutes b/c they are good enough to get them. Kanter I think has earned his minutes as the 4th big man. He doesn't get many but he's getting more b/c he's playing a tad better and I'm sure practicing better. If they get to the point where they deserve more time it seems as though Corbin is giving it to them.

Rippin' lips son!!

vCash
    One thing I definitely enjoy is watching Kanter and Favors develop an offensive game similar to Jefferson. They are learning alot from his offensive style and it's fun to see them put on some of the same moves. One thing for sure, they are very good for their age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic11 View Post
    I never said Kanter & Favors were better than the players ahead of them. I thought it would be interesting to discuss how to develop them. The Jazz are not following the NBA mold to develop players. Other teams are giving their high draft picks more minutes, mostly because their team is bad. But regardless of the talent in front of them, is this the best way to develop a player?
    Its actually on the player to develop themselves, work ethic, their off-season regiment etc.., not necessarily the Jazz management to develop them. Favors and Kanter don't get many minutes because they still suck compared to Millsap/Jefferson. Once they learn how to score consistently, I might be in for trading Millsap or Jefferson. Until then, maybe we dangle Favors or Kanter for a high talent player on rebuilding team to improve us.

vCash
    Players want to put up big numbers. It boosts their confidence and they get a sense of pride. Hayward and Favors need 30+ minutes every game to get their confidence up. When Hayward plays with confidence he looks like a future all-star. When Hayward plays without confidence, I forget he is even on the floor. When Favors plays without confidence he travels and doesn't finish hard at the rim. When he plays with confidence he is a game-changer that intimidates the other team. Kanter is different, we should bring him along slowly. However, he needs to play more than just the second quarter of games. Burks I have no idea. Some people forget Carroll was a first round draft pick just a few years ago. I think he can grow with reserve minutes, but if he continues to improve his jump shot he could be a starter someday.

vCash
    sink or swim.

You have to give these guys big minutes it is a no brainer
    Hi There

JAZZ / UTES / LIONS / REDWINGS / TIGERS / ALL-BLACKS

vCash
    One thing to keep in mind is that most of the players on your list are on teams that were in the lottery for a reason; the rest of the starters on those teams would struggle to start on playoff teams. You should take that into consideration.

I have long argued that you bring along players slowly if you want to gain their highest potential. Players stay on the floor by developing a skill that they do well and sticking to it. Unfortunately that means many players become one dimensional and never fully develop a rounded game. Did Kobe get thrown in and told to sink or swim? I believe the worst thing you can do to a play is destroy their confidence by throwing them out ill prepared and asking them to prove their worth. What becomes of their work ethic when they read they are a bust or have to get yanked after their third foul in ten minutes?

If you want an example of how to develop a player the right way, try to think of a mid first rounder who didn't get the opportunity to start until they were clearly better than the guy starting. Imagine the player had average athleticism, wasn't particularly fast, long, or flashy. Let the guy slowly learn as an understudy from a vet (Ricky Green) and refuse to let them run the team until they have mastered the offensive and defensive schemes. Instill in that player leadership, toughness, and repetition. Then watch John Stockton set two of the most unreachable records in the history of sport.

Now, tell me how many of those players on your top ten lists are going to develop as rounded games as John.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    ok look at durant,westbrook,duncan,shaq,jordan,lebron,carmelo ,dwight,chris paul, Blake Griffin,Larry Bird, Magic Johnson,Jason Kidd,Grant Hill,Dwayne Wade,Pau Gasol,Allen Iverson,Willis Reed,Brandon Roy,David Robinson...all sure fire all-star caliber guys in there rookie or second year

fact is it is different for every team but by a guys third year in the league he is what he is (unless he is stuck behind al jefferson and paul millsap
    Hi There

JAZZ / UTES / LIONS / REDWINGS / TIGERS / ALL-BLACKS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast