Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mets Sign LaTroy Hawkins

LaTroy Hawkins

Mets have signed right-handed reliever LaTroy Hawkins to a minor league deal with spring-training invite, agency Reynolds Sports tweeted.

Hawkins, 40, went 2-3 with a 3.64 ERA in 48 relief appearances with the Los Angeles Angels last season. He has pitched in the majors for 18 seasons. -- Adam Rubin
    Stats
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/...latroy-hawkins
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Yay, a real reliever!...

vCash
    A pretty good signing if I do say so myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    A pretty good signing if I do say so myself.
    Oh wow, congrats. I didn't know you made the signing. Good job fanatic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    Oh wow, congrats. I didn't know you made the signing. Good job fanatic.
    Ugh. Another civil newcomer. Fantastic.

vCash
    When the Mets keep signing FAs to minor league contracts, don't they have to release a minor leaguer eventually????

Or are the rosters unlimited until spring training sorts things out???? How does that work????

vCash
    The bullpen seems to shaping out well with Atchison, Burke, Hawkins, Feliciano, and the arms they already have.

If they can find a closing option aside from FF, i think the bullpen should be significantly better.

I have to believe at least Atchison and Hawkins will make the roster. Even a middle of the road pen would be a huge upgrade over what we saw last year.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-31-2013 at 09:40 AM.

vCash
    It can't hurt and we didn't drop a fortune on him.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    #mets still looking for pen help, even after signing latroy hawkins. RA trade makes relief corps vital.

vCash
    Heyman's comment is true in that the bullpen might be required to pick up an additional 40 IP this year.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    So old.

vCash
    Still hoping they sign Wilson. That would make our pen deep and possibly a strength.

vCash
    Another minor leaguer!!!! Do you think the Mets are trying tell us something?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    He did pitch in the majors last year and has been effective for quite some time in the majors.

It's a minor league deal so in case he blows up in ST, they can just release him.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-31-2013 at 11:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Another minor leaguer!!!! Do you think the Mets are trying tell us something?
    There is a difference between not guaranteeing a major league contract and a "minor leaguer"
    Guys like Hawkins and Feliciano are not "minor league" players. Hawkins has been pitching in the MLB every year since 1995, often with good results. Mid 3 ERA last season and low 2 the year before.
    This is another nice low-risk pick up in an effort to improve the pen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast