Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    Yes.. Omar Minaya spending like a degenerate in Vegas for YEARS is explained perfectly by your statement.
    The Wilpons had their hands all over baseball operations back then. It was common knowledge.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...n-real-Mets-GM

Now, after losing a ton of stolen money they've decided they can get away with not spending at all.

In each case, whether it was Minaya or Alderson, the GM's biggest role is to take the heat. In each instance it's a matter of the fish stinking from the head. In that sense the corporate culture hasn't changed at all.

It should no longer surprise me, but I'm still taken aback by how many posters still give this organization a free pass for constantly lying and seldom winning. Or maybe people here agree Buck is a "first rate catcher", the bullpen is the deepest in Mets history, and refusing to spend money to fill holes is Sandy's idea?

vCash
    Can't wait for the mall to open. Wilpons will spend like an Arab Sheik in Vegas. When will the mall open, 2020? In the meantime, they are pocketing millions and just moving money around to put off the debt until the grand opening of, The Mall.

Meet the mall.
    Meet the mall.
    Step right up and greet the mall
    Bring your kiddies, bring your wife...
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Can't wait for the mall to open. Wilpons will spend like an Arab Sheik in Vegas. When will the mall open, 2020? In the meantime, they are pocketing millions and just moving money around to put off the debt until the grand opening of, The Mall.

Meet the mall.
    Meet the mall.
    Step right up and greet the mall
    Bring your kiddies, bring your wife...
    I see you have no answer to my post, so as usual you're changing the subject.

I'll pursue this tangent for a moment...

The Wilpons have a history of making a semi-effort when they're about to launch a regional sports network, open a new ballpark, etc.

They're launching a shopping strip they're developing that will be adjacent to the stadium. It's set to open in 2016. I'm guessing they'll probably finally see fit to signing some actual Major League ballplayers in advance of that. Greater attendance will make them more money in that context, which will incentivize them.

I'm glad you share my point of view. I guess the alternative is the Wilpons not spending which, if you disagree with me is what you're suggesting. But who knows? They might not spend then either. We'll see.

Now back to the post you were supposedly responding to.

Why do you have such a hard time admitting that when Alderson says (for example) Buck is a "first rate catcher" that it's a lie.

Let me put it differently.

True or false: Is John Buck a first rate catcher?

Please answer the question. True? Or false?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I see you have no answer to my post, so as usual you're changing the subject.

I'll pursue this tangent for a moment...

The Wilpons have a history of making a semi-effort when they're about to launch a regional sports network, open a new ballpark, etc.

They're launching a shopping strip they're developing that will be adjacent to the stadium. It's set to open in 2016. I'm guessing they'll probably finally see fit to signing some actual Major League ballplayers in advance of that. Greater attendance will make them more money in that context, which will incentivize them.

I'm glad you share my point of view. I guess the alternative is the Wilpons not spending which, if you disagree with me is what you're suggesting. But who knows? They might not spend then either. We'll see.

Now back to the post you were supposedly responding to.

Why do you have such a hard time admitting that when Alderson says (for example) Buck is a "first rate catcher" that it's a lie.

Let me put it differently.

True or false: Is John Buck a first rate catcher?

Please answer the question. True? Or false?
    My initial reaction is no, he isn't, but I don't know anything about Buck's catching skills. Baseball management often place a premium on fielding and handling a staff. What do you know about Buck's skills in this area? I'll reserve judgment until the season is underway.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    The Wilpons had their hands all over baseball operations back then. It was common knowledge.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...n-real-Mets-GM

Now, after losing a ton of stolen money they've decided they can get away with not spending at all.

In each case, whether it was Minaya or Alderson, the GM's biggest role is to take the heat. In each instance it's a matter of the fish stinking from the head. In that sense the corporate culture hasn't changed at all.

It should no longer surprise me, but I'm still taken aback by how many posters still give this organization a free pass for constantly lying and seldom winning. Or maybe people here agree Buck is a "first rate catcher", the bullpen is the deepest in Mets history, and refusing to spend money to fill holes is Sandy's idea?

Also makes me laugh how they use the NYY as the poster child for how NOT to run a baseball team. I mean how often do they win after all....?

I think a lot of Mets fans are so beat down by the Coupons, that their expectations are now so low, that they'll cling onto anything for hope. Somewhere along the line Mets fans lost sight of what the goal should be, and what we should demand from our team, somewhere some Mets fans goals changed from winning the WS, to 'it's ok to lose as long as we do it cheaply'.

I think what SA said may have been his first real PR blooper, he categorized himself as either a liar or inept. He gave himself no out, and he's usually savvy enough to say nothing and let you draw the conclusions you want to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    My initial reaction is no, he isn't, but I don't know anything about Buck's catching skills. Baseball management often place a premium on fielding and handling a staff. What do you know about Buck's skills in this area? I'll reserve judgment until the season is underway.
    It was a yes/no question, but thank you for responding honestly. Sandy's statement about Buck is similar to his statements about everything. He gilds and spins to the point of dishonesty. This has been done at the expense of his credibility. Unfortunately this is an endemic characteristic of the Mets organization. Why shouldn't fans view it with skepticism?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I think a lot of Mets fans are so beat down by the Coupons, that their expectations are now so low, that they'll cling onto anything for hope. Somewhere along the line Mets fans lost sight of what the goal should be, and what we should demand from our team, somewhere some Mets fans goals changed from winning the WS, to 'it's ok to lose as long as we do it cheaply'.
    Google "Stockholm Syndrome".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    [/B]

Also makes me laugh how they use the NYY as the poster child for how NOT to run a baseball team. I mean how often do they win after all....?
    Repeatedly buying your way out of errors in judgment is not a good way to run a baseball team. How many WS have the Yankees won in the past ten years? The Cardinals have won twice as many and run their team very differently.

vCash
    It was a yes/no question, but thank you for responding honestly. Sandy's statement about Buck is similar to his statements about everything. He gilds and spins to the point of dishonesty. This has been done at the expense of his credibility. Unfortunately this is an endemic characteristic of the Mets organization. Why shouldn't fans view it with skepticism?

Google "Stockholm Syndrome".
    The irony is amusing.

I found this. Do you like it? I'm diggin' it. I am definitely downloading this. (edit: SMH already had it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPYLIy3FWpk

I don't think the ability to be patient and follow a proven path of success qualifies as being affected by the Stockholm Syndrome. There are no guarantees regardless, just as though spending nilly willy has not guaranteed the Yankees anything. The Braves are probably The Model organization in baseball. What is their approach?
    Last edited by Dugmet; 02-01-2013 at 07:08 AM.

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN GM reiterates: No extension for Collins es.pn/11mnim5

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN "The free-agent market is pretty well absorbed by the rest of baseball," Alderson said about OF. Spring-training trade best upgrade option.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    AdamRubinESPN Sandy Alderson also says expects to add 1 or 2 more relievers before spring training.

vCash
    One thing I like about Sandy is that when talking about the bullpen and Frankie, he doesn't sugar coat that part. We have concerns about Frank's ability. Lets sign a closer or 2 for cheap and use him like toilet paper, once he doesn't perform throw him away. I'd sign 2 of those closers like K Rod and who ever for 1 to 2 mill and if they suck so what! They have enough incentive to prove they can continue to perform if they want a job next year for us or someone else.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    AdamRubinESPN "The free-agent market is pretty well absorbed by the rest of baseball," Alderson said about OF. Spring-training trade best upgrade option.

Yes, because you have sat there and done nothing Sandy...

vCash
    “I think it’s important to underscore the word ‘symbol’ or symbolic.’ I think they represent an approach. Certainly, [Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, and Noah Syndergaard are] at the forefront. Those three have been rated very highly. They’re among our best prospects. … I think they’re representative of a broader development, and that is our farm system has gotten a lot stronger. Zack, Syndergaard and Harvey have gotten a lot of press. But, at the same time, we’ve got a lot of depth behind them. … In a broader sense, it’s important that every team – including big market teams – have very solid farm systems. Otherwise, success is not going to be sustainable or achievable, eventually.”
    From last night's interview on Hot Stove.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234