Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    What risk averse Met fans?

You said it yourself you wouldn't give Bourn 5 years...

Aside from Ludwick and Ross there was not a lot the Mets could have done this offseason with the OF in terms of quality upgrades.

Hamilton was never going to happen, Melky is a steroid user, Torii Hunter is 38 years old, Gomes was overpaid, and Upton is not even as good as Bourn (he got 5 years and the Mets would have had to surrender the 11th pick for him as well)

The Juan Riveras of the world are not making this team better.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-31-2013 at 10:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

• Alderson predicted the Mets "will be as deep as we have ever been in the bullpen."

No good additions over the abomination of last year. More scrap heap acquisitions. Francisco is still the closer.
    His comment was on depth, and not quality. With the signing of Hawkins plus Atchinson -- which was immanent at the time -- there is significant depth. Especially when you include Mejia in the mix, plus Edgin et. al.

• Alderson called John Buck a "first-rate catcher." A .192/.297/.347 slash line last year. .227/.316/.367 the year before that.
    He's had better years with the bat. We shall see how he fares in 2013. What do you know about Buck's ability to handle a pitching staff, call a game, provide leadership on the field as necessary, and field his position? How do the sum of all of his skills compare to the sum of all skills of other catchers in MLB?

And here's the doozy:

• Alderson insisted the lack of spending this offseason was his decision, not ownership imposed.

"The reason we haven't spent the money is not because of Fred Wilpon," he said. "It's because of me."

Well?

I'm not going to ask if you believe this, but... How could any normal person believe any General Manager would field an outfield like this if he was allowed to spend money on Big League ballplayers?
    It seems as though the only obstacle between signing Bourne and not signing Bourne could be SA's reluctance to give up the 11th pick. That would be his decision to make.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-31-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    No reason why he can't go thru the same song and dance routine next off-season too. It's so easily done, most Mets fans will believe anything IMO, all he has to say is 'Too expensive' or 'Too risky' or 'We'd prefer a shorter deal' or the latest one - the draft pick routine and he's golden with risk-averse Mets fans.

He's the GM of NY baseball team that has money to spend but is happier having the worst OF in baseball than spending the money he says he has?

I don't buy that.

The truth lies in the standard of the teams acquisitions this Winter.

1 MLB FA vs 11 minor league deals.

Either way if there's either no money, or SA has done this on purpose he's either lying for Fred, or inept.
    You are correct in that SA is not going to sign players to contracts with significant risk. Thus he will prefer shorter deals, and less guaranteed monies.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    What risk averse Met fans?

You said it yourself you wouldn't give Bourn 5 years...

Aside from Ludwick and Ross there was not a lot the Mets could have done this offseason with the OF in terms of quality upgrades.

Hamilton was never going to happen, Melky is a steroid user, Torii Hunter is 38 years old, Gomes was overpaid, and Upton is not even as good as Bourn (he got 5 years and the Mets would have had to surrender the 11th pick for him as well)

The Juan Riveras of the world are not making this team better.

Yes, risk averse Mets fans, every off-season they're making excuses not to spend any money or do anything.

I'm tired of hearing 'Mets can't do anything' other teams manage it. Other teams take on risk and try and win, the Mets are keeping payroll low and not much else. But that's all going to change from October right?

Because in October, there's a bounty of cheap risk free FA's who will all sign team friendly deals, and the Mets will have tons to spend....

vCash
    Yes, risk averse Mets fans, every off-season they're making excuses not to spend any money or do anything.

I'm tired of hearing 'Mets can't do anything' other teams manage it. Other teams take on risk and try and win, the Mets are keeping payroll low and not much else. But that's all going to change from October right?

Because in October, there's a bounty of cheap risk free FA's who will all sign team friendly deals, and the Mets will have tons to spend....
    It still doesn't address my point.

Who were they to acquire aside from the guys i mentioned that would have made a significant impact?

Sell me a player that would have made this team tangibly better that would have fit your criteria.

If they were looking to continually go bare bones what was the incentive to pick up Marcum? They had guys for that spot in the rotation until Wheeler came up in Hefner and Mejia.

That's not a "make good" move with fans.

Like i said before, they have no more excuses next offseason. This team will have enough young pieces to go forward, make impact trades, and spend money on FA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-31-2013 at 12:42 PM.

vCash

Who were they to acquire aside from the guys i mentioned that would have made a significant impact?

Sell me a player that would have made this team tangibly better that would have fit your criteria.

If they were looking to continually go bare bones what was the incentive to pick up Marcum? They had guys for that spot in the rotation until Wheeler came up in Hefner and Mejia.

Like i said before, they have no more excuses next offseason. This team will have enough young pieces to go forward, make impact trades, and spend money on FA.

There weren't any players better than the crap we have?

Ok.

You'll find some new excuses next year, if they do nothing.

Alderson is full of it.

vCash
    There weren't any players better than the crap we have?

Ok.

You'll find some new excuses next year, if they do nothing.

Alderson is full of it.
    Thanks for dictating what i am supposed to think or believe.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-31-2013 at 01:10 PM.

vCash

I agree with this. There was no one out there that I think the Mets missed out on. Sorry, but Bourne is not worth a 5 yr contract AND the 11th pick. Of course we'd all rather not have this OF situation but you have to make smart long-term decision versus short-term gratifying moves just to appease impatient fans. They shouldn't just spend money just because they have it. I don't think that's a successful long-term strategy.

But like you said there's no excuses for this next off-season. They'll have enough pieces and the money to go for it all.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjflightboy#10 View Post
    I agree with this. There was no one out there that I think the Mets missed out on. Sorry, but Bourne is not worth a 5 yr contract AND the 11th pick. Of course we'd all rather not have this OF situation but you have to make smart long-term decision versus short-term gratifying moves just to appease impatient fans. They shouldn't just spend money just because they have it. I don't think that's a successful long-term strategy.

But like you said there's no excuses for this next off-season. They'll have enough pieces and the money to go for it all.
    Amen...

vCash
    Thanks for dictating what i am supposed to think or believe.
    Huh? what you think or believe is down to you, I should not have personalized it, but I have heard the 'wait till next year' excuse a hundred times.

I find it a bit strange that people who think it's waste of time doing anything now can see far enough into the future to decide categorically it's time to spend in October.

You can make the case for doing nothing until the cows come home it is easy, anyone can defend a team not signing players.

But, all I see is we just lost even more ground to two top tier teams, and I don't want to hear any crap about the 2nd wildcard, we should be trying to win div titles first and foremost.

How we bridge a 20-25 game gap on two stacked teams in the next 18 months eludes me.

vCash
    Huh? what you think or believe is down to you, I should not have personalized it, but I have heard the 'wait till next year' excuse a hundred times.

I find it a bit strange that people who think it's waste of time doing anything now can see far enough into the future to decide categorically it's time to spend in October.

You can make the case for doing nothing until the cows come home it is easy, anyone can defend a team not signing players.

But, all I see is we just lost even more ground to two top tier teams, and I don't want to hear any crap about the 2nd wildcard, we should be trying to win div titles first and foremost.

How we bridge a 20-25 game gap on two stacked teams in the next 18 months eludes me.
    A developing roster with 2 possible aces, what looks to be a better bullpen, what is a quality INF with a possible perennial AS catcher coming up this year, a quality farm system that should start to produce major league players, and i think can close the gap.

Whats the major weakness here?

The OF right?

So why couldn't they acquire two OF pieces next offseason to make themselves significantly better?

They have pieces to deal here and one of the best minor league systems (arguably the best) in baseball when it comes to SP.

And why does it matter how they get into the playoffs? Of course they should be challenging for the division first and foremost but they have an equal shot as anyone if they get past the wildcard game if that's how they get in.

If we are all making a mistake assuming what's what then why is it set in stone the Nationals and Braves will 95+ games in 2014? 12 months is a long time for all of these teams and i honestly don't believe the Braves got better this offseason.

If we were judging every team on paper the A's and Orioles would have won 70 games last year instead of making the playoffs.

I am not hoping for a miracle, i see this team has some quality pieces that they can build around and make themselves significantly better in a short period of time.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-31-2013 at 05:04 PM.

vCash

Alderson Dishes To Season Ticket Holders

I would of like if they had signed Adams, he signed for a similar deal that Francisco got and he would of help the pen for sure. His contract was not absurd or long term.

vCash
    Fred has prob given sandy an allowance and sandy isnt dumb enough to blow it on Michael Bourn. Use it next yr

vCash
    Sandy Alderson is the devil
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    The devil?

Everything is the devil to you, Wrigheyes4MVP Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good!

And by the way, Mama. "Alligators" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them too!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast