Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Alderson Dishes To Season Ticket Holders

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

Sandy Alderson and his deputies addressed season-ticket holders on Wednesday night at Citi Field. Here's a summary from those who tweeted from the event, including @JLeopold516, @berkson0 and @michebag22:

Alderson insisted the lack of spending this offseason was his decision, not ownership imposed.

"The reason we haven't spent the money is not because of Fred Wilpon," he said. "It's because of me."

If that's true, when will the Mets ever spend on a big-time free agent then? After all, there may always be one overaggresive bidder for a prized free agent, leaving Alderson to conclude it's not prudent to bid that high.

"We understand what the market dictates and we have to be prepared to exist in that market," said Alderson, who indicated there is an urgency to winning, and that he has not set out on a 10-year plan.

"Am I going to recommended that we sit here in New York City and function like the Oakland Athletics for the next 10 years?" he continued. "No I'm not. ... I'm not asking you to believe me until you see some manifestation of that, which I hope is sooner rather than later."

Alderson said the Mets were never legitimately in trade talks with the Arizona Diamondbacks for Justin Upton because they would not consider trading Matt Harvey or Zack Wheeler.

As for the current outfield, Alderson said: "I'm not telling any jokes about the outfield. We've got lots of guys coming into camp and we're in the running for a free agent (presumably Michael Bourn, which raises the whole draft-pick compensation issue and appears a long shot). ... I can speculate the outfield wont be a strength for us this year."

Mets executives harped on the minor leagues, with Alderson saying: "Success of big-market teams is not just money, but a successful farm system. We have a renewed effort in the draft."

Alderson predicted the Mets "will be as deep as we have ever been in the bullpen."

There are no current plans to play prospect Wilmer Flores in the outfield. Flores will play third base and second base at Triple-A Las Vegas.

Alderson called John Buck a "first-rate catcher."

vCash
    Alderson should have given all season ticket holders a one-third discount for entering the 2013 season with absolutely no outfield, which is one-third of the starting team.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    At least they're "in the running"

vCash
    Anyone remember Baghdad Bob????

vCash
    • Alderson insisted the lack of spending this offseason was his decision, not ownership imposed.

So Wilpon said you can have a payroll of 1billion but you can't spend more than $1M on any one player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

Sandy Alderson and his deputies addressed season-ticket holders on Wednesday night at Citi Field. Here's a summary from those who tweeted from the event, including @JLeopold516, @berkson0 and @michebag22:

Alderson insisted the lack of spending this offseason was his decision, not ownership imposed.

"The reason we haven't spent the money is not because of Fred Wilpon," he said. "It's because of me."

If that's true, when will the Mets ever spend on a big-time free agent then? After all, there may always be one overaggresive bidder for a prized free agent, leaving Alderson to conclude it's not prudent to bid that high.

"We understand what the market dictates and we have to be prepared to exist in that market," said Alderson, who indicated there is an urgency to winning, and that he has not set out on a 10-year plan.

"Am I going to recommended that we sit here in New York City and function like the Oakland Athletics for the next 10 years?" he continued. "No I'm not. ... I'm not asking you to believe me until you see some manifestation of that, which I hope is sooner rather than later."

Alderson said the Mets were never legitimately in trade talks with the Arizona Diamondbacks for Justin Upton because they would not consider trading Matt Harvey or Zack Wheeler.

As for the current outfield, Alderson said: "I'm not telling any jokes about the outfield. We've got lots of guys coming into camp and we're in the running for a free agent (presumably Michael Bourn, which raises the whole draft-pick compensation issue and appears a long shot). ... I can speculate the outfield wont be a strength for us this year."

Mets executives harped on the minor leagues, with Alderson saying: "Success of big-market teams is not just money, but a successful farm system. We have a renewed effort in the draft."

Alderson predicted the Mets "will be as deep as we have ever been in the bullpen."

There are no current plans to play prospect Wilmer Flores in the outfield. Flores will play third base and second base at Triple-A Las Vegas.

Most of these bullet points aren't just lies, they're outrageous lies that show the low regard the current Mets regime has for fans intelligence.

It was Sandy's idea not to spend a cent to fill any of the massive holes on the team? Fred has nothing to do with it? Really? I don't even think any of the willfully blind "rah-rah" types on this board would deny Sandy is lying.

The job of every Mets GM in the Wilpon era has ultimately been to take the blame for Wilpon moves and non-moves, while Fred and Jeff skulk in the shadows. Some here said the hiring of Alderson would represent a change in this team culture.

Nothing has changed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Most of these bullet points aren't just lies, they're outrageous lies that show the low regard the current Mets regime has for fans intelligence.

It was Sandy's idea not to spend a cent to fill any of the massive holes on the team? Fred has nothing to do with it? Really? I don't even think any of the willfully blind "rah-rah" types on this board would deny Sandy is lying.

The job of every Mets GM in the Wilpon era has ultimately been to take the blame for Wilpon moves and non-moves, while Fred and Jeff skulk in the shadows. Some here said the hiring of Alderson would represent a change in this team culture.

Nothing has changed.
    Its always guilty even if proven innocent with you.

There are massive changes since Omar has gone.
    Sandy has done a pretty good job of turning this franchise into a bright young squad.

"losing the cy winner" who was near 40, in a trade that most people think was a steal.

He claims he is the reason he is not spending a ton (on overpriced FA's), and you assume a complete lie.

Most of the bullets were rather benign facts, and you pretend they are far beyond lies..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    Sandy has done a pretty good job of turning this franchise into a bright young squad.
    I guess you weren't watching Mets baseball last season then. This year is expected to be worse.

Just wow.

So what you're saying is you actually believe Alderson is telling the truth when he says: "'The reason we haven't spent the money is not because of Fred Wilpon,' he said. 'It's because of me.'???

vCash
    I guess you weren't watching Mets baseball last season then. This year is expected to be worse.

Just wow.

So what you're saying is you actually believe Alderson is telling the truth when he says: "'The reason we haven't spent the money is not because of Fred Wilpon,' he said. 'It's because of me.'???
    Just wow.

SA wasn't talking about 2012.

He's talking about passing on players like Edwin Jackson perhaps. That he could have shoe horned into the budget, but chose not to himself.

The original poster was correct in calling the Mets a bright young team. They ave moved on from some of the older players like Bay, Rodriguez, even Dickey, and added younger talent to the mix. Their starting rotation is quite young. And DW and Buck are pretty much the only older players in the lineup. Brighter? That's subjective, but with Harvey, Wheeler, d'Arnaud, about to possibly become impact players, with DW under contract, with Bay gone, and with the team out from under Santana's contract after the season, the team is moving toward a more hopefull future.

Or maybe he was thinking about The Mall?
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Really?

Point out the contradictions between fact and fiction.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Really?

Point out the contradictions between fact and fiction.

No good additions over the abomination of last year. More scrap heap acquisitions. Francisco is still the closer.

A .192/.297/.347 slash line last year. .227/.316/.367 the year before that.

And here's the doozy:

Well?

I'm not going to ask if you believe this, but... How could any normal person believe any General Manager would field an outfield like this if he was allowed to spend money on Big League ballplayers?

vCash

• Alderson predicted the Mets "will be as deep as we have ever been in the bullpen."

No good additions over the abomination of last year. More scrap heap acquisitions. Francisco is still the closer.

• Alderson called John Buck a "first-rate catcher."

A .192/.297/.347 slash line last year. .227/.316/.367 the year before that.

And here's the doozy:

• Alderson insisted the lack of spending this offseason was his decision, not ownership imposed.

Well?

I'm not going to ask if you believe this, but... How could any normal person believe any General Manager would field an outfield like this if he was allowed to spend money on Big League ballplayers?
    They are using Familia & Mejia in the pen and they just signed Hawkins.

Buck is a first rate back up catcher. And he is only there to keep the seat warm for "Oppo-Taco".

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    He claims he is the reason he is not spending a ton (on overpriced FA's),

They're always overpriced, how do you suggest we fill holes without spending money or draining the farm system?

vCash
    None of what he said bothers me, don't take what the GM says with face value all the time.

vCash
    No reason why he can't go thru the same song and dance routine next off-season too. It's so easily done, most Mets fans will believe anything IMO, all he has to say is 'Too expensive' or 'Too risky' or 'We'd prefer a shorter deal' or the latest one - the draft pick routine and he's golden with risk-averse Mets fans.

He's the GM of NY baseball team that has money to spend but is happier having the worst OF in baseball than spending the money he says he has?

I don't buy that.

The truth lies in the standard of the teams acquisitions this Winter.

1 MLB FA vs 11 minor league deals.

Either way if there's either no money, or SA has done this on purpose he's either lying for Fred, or inept.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast