Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    i totally agree. might be the reason why Derozan has been slumping in January. too many bigs in the middle of the paint. If Derozan and Gay get more room in the paint, its gonna be scary. as well as Ross.

I don't buy this at all (that DD needs Bargs to spread the floor to be effective). Last year DD had his best month of the season in February when Bargnani was out. His ppg dropped slightly in January because he played on average 2 minutes less then in December, and he took fewer shots. He also went 3 for 20 from behind the arc.

I have never really seen him play better offensively then he has over the past 5 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    Allen didn't say he wanted to come to Toronto and Howard never directly said to anyone in the media that he wanted to go to Brooklyn... The point is that Toronto was on the table for Allen and the move was a real possiblity at that time.

Also we were losing during that time but we did not have a history of tanking.... 3 years back we were a team that was close to making it into the ECF. The fact that we could offer Allen a max contract (Like we gave VC) adding in that the city wanted to win (not tank) made T.O an attractive destination.

Since then and we've been in tank mode I haven't heard anything remotely close to this...

WTF...what year are you talking about? We didn't even make the playoffs 3 years ago....lol

The last time we made the playoffs was in 2008, and we lost in 5 games to the Magic....who in turn lost in the Eastern Conf. Semi finals. We haven't come close to going to the ECF since 2001...

vCash
    Allen didn't say he wanted to come to Toronto and Howard never directly said to anyone in the media that he wanted to go to Brooklyn... The point is that Toronto was on the table for Allen and the move was a real possiblity at that time.

Also we were losing during that time but we did not have a history of tanking.... 3 years back we were a team that was close to making it into the ECF. The fact that we could offer Allen a max contract (Like we gave VC) adding in that the city wanted to win (not tank) made T.O an attractive destination.

Since then and we've been in tank mode I haven't heard anything remotely close to this...
    Clearly can't be talking about the Raptors

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    WTF...what year are you talking about? We didn't even make the playoffs 3 years ago....lol

The last time we made the playoffs was in 2008, and we lost in 5 games to the Magic....who in turn lost in the Eastern Conf. Semi finals. We haven't come close to going to the ECF since 2001...
    nvm.
    Last edited by gwrighter; 02-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash

Dude I'm talking about 3 years back from when Ray Allen made those comments when the Raptors were entertaining trading VC for Ray Allen.

I can see how this was misinterrpreted though I'll update the post.
    Last edited by ghettosean; 02-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Bargs is vital now because the Raps need someone to stretch the floor. If Bargs comes in and operates at the high post and plays as third or fourth option, he could be very effective.
    Original idea behind proposing this trade was that Gay would potentially be a better player/fit in TO because he would be the pseudo replacement PF for a stretch big, as apposed to Memphis where Gasol & Randolph took priority in the post. Simply put, I expected his efficient to rise simply by playing him in the post more than he did in Memphis.

IMO Memphis pace, system & usage didn't get the most out of Gay. However at this point I don't think fans would be receptive to the idea of Bargnani starting at this point, unless he works his way off the bench.

Also don't think the potential mismatch stops there with DeRozan's ability to post up either, I think it hard for most teams to effectively guard both in the post with Bargnani stretching the floor.

Only time will tell how redundant Gay/DeRozan are as a wing tandem. With the season all but lost I'm more than willing to explore all possibilities.

vCash
    Derozan cannot score against the elite defenders or simply above average defenders so Gay will probably have the ball most of the time, look to see derozans ppg drop.

vCash
    I don't buy this at all (that DD needs Bargs to spread the floor to be effective). Last year DD had his best month of the season in February when Bargnani was out. His ppg dropped slightly in January because he played on average 2 minutes less then in December, and he took fewer shots. He also went 3 for 20 from behind the arc.

I have never really seen him play better offensively then he has over the past 5 games.
    its also b/c they crowd him and get the ball out of his hand. Since he is supposed to be the scorer on this team, teams are just crowding the lane. and that he doesn't have great handles to get any where near the painted area on a consistent basis. and plus, he's not a great 3 point shooter - so thats a moot point about going 3/20.

last 5 games were a relevation for Derozan, hitting 3's and getting into the lane, and dishing out assists. its more of an outlier right until he proves he can do that over the remaining year.

and its not entirely up to Derozan to rely on Bargnani per say but it does help when one of the other bigs is out guarding Bargnani at the perimeter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSoFreshSoClea View Post
    Derozan cannot score against the elite defenders or simply above average defenders so Gay will probably have the ball most of the time, look to see derozans ppg drop.
    or the other wing defender won't come help on Derozan when Gay is on the perimeter as well as another big coming to defend Bargnani. I think Derozan's ppg will go down as well since you are getting Bargnani back and getting another scoring wing. I think Gay gets to 20+ ppg for the remainder of the season, Bargnani at around 16 and so is Derozan. Lowry probably anywhere 12-15. Anderson at around like 10, Ross at like 6. Amir will probably get his 10-12.

There's definitely more balance, scoring wise. and it shores up our bench as well with Andersons and Ross. and probably play small ball with Klieza and Fields at the 4 spot at times too.

vCash
    Isn't the idea behind Gay as the potential go to option, that the elite defenders would be focused on him & not DeRozan, as a result putting him against the lesser defender or vice, versa.

Where defensive pressure/focus is concerned, Gay vs Fields who is averaging 5 ppg on 40% shooting should in theory benefit DeRozan regardless of any duplication in skill set.

vCash
    It would have been funny if they gave Rudy Gay the jersey number 69
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Why would that be funny?

He's number 22.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    This is true but if defenses are focusing on Gay and possibly doubling him and not DD then that should make his job a lot easier and I expect him to be more efficient and get a lot more easy shots than he is used to.

...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    This is true but if defenses are focusing on Gay and possibly doubling him and not DD then that should make his job a lot easier and I expect him to be more efficient and get a lot more easy shots than he is used to.
    Even if there's no double, it would make a noticeable difference.

Size being a factor, Fields & AA are SG/SF's, Gay is a SF/PF. DeRozan is great post option against smaller players, it would be hard for teams to switch the bigger defender on Derozan in the post with Gay on court, over the previous option of a 6'7" Fields, who's an non factor on ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Even if there's no double, it would make a noticeable difference.

Size being a factor, Fields & AA are SG/SF's, Gay is a SF/PF. DeRozan is great post option against smaller players, it would be hard for teams to switch the bigger defender on Derozan in the post with Gay on court, over the previous option of a 6'7" Fields, who's an non factor on ball.
    Agreed... The more I talk about this the more excited I get and if Andrea is coming off the bench he should be very effective too as he is used to being doubled and not playing aganist bench players. Hopefully we see a little more out of him also.... This hopefully make him more attractive in a trade scenario or maybe it will just work out for the better.

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast