Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    Seriously? They drafted Duncan after winning the lottery in a year where they were way too good but D-Rob was injured. That sounds rater lucky to me. They also had a chance to draft Robinson way earlier on.... first overall picks are never guaranteed to pan out, unless they're good enough to be on the Dream Team.

Like, I get that they had incredible scouting with Ginobili and Parker. I won't take that away. But when you have a cornerstone like Duncan it's not as hard to tweak the pieces around him. Like, if Valanciunas turns out to be a lifelong 1'st team C AND spend his whole career with the Raps, that's one position we won't have to scout/draft/trade for/worry about for 15 years. Think about that. It's so much easier to make plays based on need rather than BPA when the BPA probably will never sniff your team's current best player.
    I'll agree they got lucky with Duncan. But just because you have a cornerstone doesn't mean you can just "tweak" the talent around him and assume your going to win. Just ask Lebron and Garnett that.

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    z

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    So how does a team like Toronto who doesn't attract free agents or top end players demanding trades here get that type of player? There is really only one way.
    I think there's two ways... one is to play horrible basketball until we come up with the one player that can turn a franchise around, but what if that doesn't happen with Wiggins or Parker? What if we don't get one of those two and then there's a few deep drafts with no consensus #1? Do we honestly play for the lottery until we get a championship-caliber player? It's definitely possible, but it's also possible to end up like Sacramento, or Charlotte, or any other team that went over a decade without even seeing regular-season success on the horizon. I don't want to cheer for my team one year every 12.

The other way is for us to spend money. We have to spend money. If we're going to look at it through one extreme, being that we draft a Wiggins or Lebron or Durant, we also have to look at it from the exact opposite point of view that we need to get decent then spend even more to get good.

Even before this trade our team has proven year in and year out that we're not good enough to make the playoffs or bad enough to finish within the top 7 picks. It would have taken injuries/firing Casey/trading everybody for picks (even though none of our players would have warranted anything better than a mid-to-late first rounder...) JUST TO TANK! I just don't think I could support that, but I know there's a large population of Raps fans that would love nothing better. Just a difference of opinion.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Now, we have 2 cutters/slashers in the starting lineup! (Gay, Derozan) 3 if you include Lowry!!!

Wonder how that will work out????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    I'll agree they got lucky with Duncan. But just because you have a cornerstone doesn't mean you can just "tweak" the talent around him and assume your going to win. Just ask Lebron and Garnett that.
    Well put, but both of those players also made it to AT LEAST the conference finals. And remember, a lot of the players that Garnett had on his team were at his request. If you're going to be a franchise player and demand to be a part of decisions in order to re-sign (which I don't have evidence of, but the writing is on the wall) you'd better be right about your friends.

In any event they won a championship before Parker got there, and there's no evidence that they would have had trouble getting a point guard to fill in.

Like, the Spurs used to start Matt Bonner in the playoffs. Matt..... Bonner. There's something to be said with drafting elite talent out of luck, regardless of making the right moves afterward.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    I think there's two ways... one is to play horrible basketball until we come up with the one player that can turn a franchise around, but what if that doesn't happen with Wiggins or Parker? What if we don't get one of those two and then there's a few deep drafts with no consensus #1? Do we honestly play for the lottery until we get a championship-caliber player? It's definitely possible, but it's also possible to end up like Sacramento, or Charlotte, or any other team that went over a decade without even seeing regular-season success on the horizon. I don't want to cheer for my team one year every 12.
    Thats why when a team tanks they do it for 2 or 3 years and trade some of their assets for extra picks. It decreases the risk of catching a weak draft or being 'unlucky'. Instead of doing it for 1 year and building around a core of solid players.

The other way is for us to spend money. We have to spend money. If we're going to look at it through one extreme, being that we draft a Wiggins or Lebron or Durant, we also have to look at it from the exact opposite point of view that we need to get decent then spend even more to get good.
    There are limits to what you can spend to be good in the NBA though. Restrictions preventing a team from signing free agents at will and a luxury tax that can make a team go bankrupt in a couple years.

Even before this trade our team has proven year in and year out that we're not good enough to make the playoffs or bad enough to finish within the top 7 picks. It would have taken injuries/firing Casey/trading everybody for picks (even though none of our players would have warranted anything better than a mid-to-late first rounder...) JUST TO TANK! I just don't think I could support that, but I know there's a large population of Raps fans that would love nothing better. Just a difference of opinion.
    I don't know if I can support a team that spends a few years in the playoffs and then a few years out and never really takes a chance to really compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    Thats why when a team tanks they do it for 2 or 3 years and trade some of their assets for extra picks. It decreases the risk of catching a weak draft or being 'unlucky'. Instead of doing it for 1 year and building around a core of solid players.

There are limits to what you can spend to be good in the NBA though. Restrictions preventing a team from signing free agents at will and a luxury tax that can make a team go bankrupt in a couple years.

I don't know if I can support a team that spends a few years in the playoffs and then a few years out and never really takes a chance to really compete.
    I'm pretty sure we've been tanking for the last 2 years.

vCash
    Rudy won't play until Sunday against the HEAT...

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Damn it! I was thinking about going to tomorrow's game.

vCash
    If we win that game everyone will be talking about how we're a contender. lol.

vCash
    I'll be at that game!!!

Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    sounds good to me =)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    And if we lose everyone is going to say it was a terrible trade.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I'm pretty sure we've been tanking for the last 2 years.
    I'm pretty sure year 2 was a half-assed attempt at tanking.

vCash
    Haters will continue to hate. At least lets see all the pieces fall first before passing judgement. Oh that is right, that would be too reasonable.

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast