Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Game Son View Post
    Here are my thoughts in a nutshell.

SUPER HAPPY!

Ed Davis - solid game, loved his belief in himself, but he isn't that young and is a good trade commodity. Back up at best.
    Jose Calderon - Great guy, teammate and backup. Didnt fit in to what we wanted to do and frankly is a poor man's Steve Nash, which isn't good because you need some serious offense to make up for lacking in the D department.
    Rudy Gay - Gets a game winning shooter for us, is athletic and has lots a time left in his career. Better defender and a name. We need that RLY bad.

Overall I am for this trade and look forward to watching this team play. Much as I love Calderon and I really happy he is bringing his talents somewhere else.
    Ed Davis is a double double starter in this league.

vCash
    The thing that kinda scares me is the verbiage BC used in the Gay trade talks... Ross was untouchable in this deal makes me think maybe he's part of another deal waiting for Bargs to get healthy. I really hope this isn't the case. There's something about Ross that's special... He has some star power I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    The thing that kinda scares me is the verbiage BC used in the Gay trade talks... Ross was untouchable in this deal makes me think maybe he's part of another deal waiting for Bargs to get healthy. I really hope this isn't the case. There's something about Ross that's special... He has some star power I think.
    I think he said untouchable in general, no?

vCash
    Honestly, I would've preferred to trade Ross and Calderon for Gay. I think Ed Davis will be the better player of the 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Ed Davis is a double double starter in this league.
    That is a huge statement. Considering he is at 24 minutes per game and only does 9-6 and was on a team he could afford to broaden outside of his skill set.....

He's already 23 (Gay is 26) and isn't strong enough to bang. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the probability is lower than sea-level.
    Last edited by Big Game Son; 01-30-2013 at 11:59 PM.

vCash
    Wasn't happy when the process was going down, but very happy to get talent back for Calderon. Plus we didn't send a 1st rounder or other young talent back like was rumored earlier, so that takes the sting out of it a bit. Really excited to watch Rudy play though. Ready to embrace our newest Raptors. Hopefully BC is right about this damnit.

vCash
    Ross was not meant to be here from the beginning. BC made questionable decisions. Lowry's trade wasn't that good thusfar. If I was GM in 2012's NBA draft, I would try to trade up past Portland for Damian Lillard. ( I was really high on Lillard before draft time.) I would've taken Drummond or Lamb as backups. Let's see, the Hibbert deal also sucked. The Marion and Turkogolu deals were bad. BC overstayed his welcome ages ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magikmc View Post
    We don't have a high draft pick coming.

We don't have Salary cap next season.

We don't have depth with our bigs.

We don't have a backup to an injury prone PG.

I don't think Bargnani goes anywhere. We are not going to get any offers that we need or will improve us.

Fields contract isn't going anywhere. Ross is apparently untouchable. I doubt demar is traded after an extension. There hasn't been a sniff of a rumor about trading him either. That leaves Anderson and Kleiza to be traded. What are they going to net us? Not much for the improvements we need.

I don't see how this helps us at all. Ed Davis is 23, cheap, and loved the city. His extension would not have been bad for market value.

I hate to be so negative but this has doom written all over it. Can someone please tell me how, basketball wise, this trade makes the Raptors better? Let alone the financial implications.
    First off each of your first 4 points mean little until we see all the all other pieces fall first. There are clearly going to be more moves coming that will in turn set up the roster better. Yes the depth at big's is an issue but it can be easily addressed. As I said in my post on the last page, Davis and Jonas simply were not going to work together going forward. The Raptors were never going to attreact a player of Gay's ability and potential in free agency and in turn have to make trades for these kind of players. Yes money is going to be an issue but by the time Ross and Jonas truly hit their stride you have Gay's massive expiring contract and Fields deal coming off the books. Money will be tight the next few seasons but this does not handcuff us for the next 10 years so people really need to chill about the finances of the deal.

Pleas refer to my post on the last page explaining why it is a good deal basketball wise. I do get into why it was a great move selling on Ed Davis right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile High Champ View Post
    Seems like we are on the same page. Glad to hear another Raptor fan has a similar thougt process. I could not agree more than Bargs and possibly DeRozan could be shopped though I am less convinced about DeRozan since I believe the jury is still out on him and what he may become. We will likely see him here in Toronto for at least the rest of this season and next year the Raps may need to revaluate things after everything has played out.
    Considering DeRozan is only 23 & improving I would not write him off, though he doesn't seem like a fit ..

Have a feeling Pau is still a target, not the direction I would go declining 30+yo & luxury tax territory. If Bargnani/DeRozan are being shopped in my opinion it should be to shed salary & or for pick/s if possible. Gay/Lowry are 26 making for a young core both presence insuring each other resign with this roster. Lowry followed by Gay surrounded by rookie scale..

I would also be in no rush to trade with this season basically lost, elevate value heading into the off season while evaluating fit with Gay on roster, unless opportunity presents itself..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Honestly, I would've preferred to trade Ross and Calderon for Gay. I think Ed Davis will be the better player of the 2.
    I don't see it. Ross has the potential total pakcage. Davis was never going to be nothing than a fringe starter at PF who finishes well around the basket and has bad post defense. Ross could very well be the best player on the Raps in 5 years. I don' think you can say that about Ed Davis as he was certainly never going to be come Chris Bosh (a player people saw his ceiling becoming).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Considering DeRozan is only 23 & improving I would not write him off, though he doesn't seem like a fit ..

Have a feeling Pau is still a target, not the direction I would go declining 30+yo & luxury tax territory. If Bargnani/DeRozan are being shopped in my opinion it should be to shed salary & or for pick/s if possible. Gay/Lowry are 26 making for a young core both presence insuring each other resign with this roster. Lowry followed by Gay surrounded by rookie scale..

I would also be in no rush to trade with this season basically lost, elevate value heading into the off season while evaluating fit with Gay on roster, unless opportunity presents itself..
    If you can trade Bargs this season you do it. Maybe add an additional PG to the roster as well and cut Pietrus as he clearly has no place on this team. The Raps are loaded now with SF's and somebody has to go and it is not Fields, Gay or Anderson. I think the team will play out the rest of the season with the group we have put together up till now.

vCash
    At least we won't have to worry about this happening again..

vCash
    I don't like the trade or hate it because it'll end up being lateral IMO. I don't think it improves the team that much and Gay is overrated and isn't as good as people think. People watch highlights of his dunks and couple of game winners and think he's a star when he isn't. That being said hopefully he can blossom here and become the star he was expected to be coming out of college.

I just don't think the pieces match up or compliment each other well. Lowry, DD, Gay backcourt has the makings of a ball-stopping, isolation chuckfest. Maybe Gay and Lowry have chemistry since they're suddenly boyfriends according to all the reports of their relationship. I really hope this improves the team but I doubt it. I see us being a mediocre 8-10 seed year-in, year-out like we were when Rupaul was here, and kinda like what Milwaukee has been the past 5 years
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 01-31-2013 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    The best thing about this trade is hopefully this means the end of Anderson in crunch time.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Game Son View Post
    That is a huge statement. Considering he is at 24 minutes per game and only does 9-6 and was on a team he could afford to broaden outside of his skill set.....

He's already 23 (Gay is 26) and isn't strong enough to bang. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the probability is lower than sea-level.
    Starters play more than 24 mins. If he got +30 MPG throughout a season. He can average mid teens scoring and almost double digit rebounds.

And he's ONLY 23.

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast